Where is Battlecrease Mansion located

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Battlecrease Mansion located

I'm just getting into JTR when I moved into an old house (built 1858 located in north east Alabama USA) and found some old newspaper clippings about JTR. (there was a scare not too far off with letters signed JTR being sent to the local police) I started doing some research on JTR since his story seemed to be of interest to the people who lived in this house. I haven't read much about the Maybrick diary but was wondering how close Battlecrease Mansion was to the locations of the murders. I've looked on poverty maps of the time and can't really get my bearings. I find Whitechapel easy but have a hard time locating any other road names. I know one news paper artical has the house on Cressington road, Aigburth. I've tried looking that road up on maps but have not had any luck. Is the road name the same now or has it changed over the years?

Maybe if I knew where the house was located I could see why he would be a suspect other than the "diary".
    Last edited by mkjones; 03-11-2008, 12:09 PM. Reason: Correct spelling

Hi MKJones,

don't waste time looking for the place in London on the poverty maps, try looking further up North in Liverpool!!

And other than "The Diary" and "The Watch" there is no real reason to suspect him of being Jack.

Here is a Maybrick page, it features some pictures of the man, I have never seen before,

Here is a nice pic of the house on flickr

This was the home of James Maybrick who was a wealthy cotton merchant - and also possibly Jack the Ripper! It is said he committed his terrible crimes during business visits to London.

And it is Battlecrease House
    Last edited by Mike Covell; 03-11-2008, 12:34 PM.
    Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mkjones View Post
      I'm just getting into JTR when I moved into an old house (built 1858 located in north east Alabama USA) and found some old newspaper clippings about JTR. (there was a scare not too far off with letters signed JTR being sent to the local police) I started doing some research on JTR since his story seemed to be of interest to the people who lived in this house. I haven't read much about the Maybrick diary but was wondering how close Battlecrease Mansion was to the locations of the murders. I've looked on poverty maps of the time and can't really get my bearings. I find Whitechapel easy but have a hard time locating any other road names. I know one news paper artical has the house on Cressington road, Aigburth. I've tried looking that road up on maps but have not had any luck. Is the road name the same now or has it changed over the years?

Maybe if I knew where the house was located I could see why he would be a suspect other than the "diary".
      Hello mkjones

Battlecrease is at 7 Riversdale Road, opposite the Liverpool Cricket Ground. Riversdale Road runs southwest off Aigburth Road toward the River Mersey. It is 200 miles or so from the East End of London where the Ripper murders took place. A link with Alabama is that James Maybrick's wife and accused murderer, Florence Elizabeth Chandler Maybrick, was from Mobile.

Chris
      Christopher T. George
      Editor, Ripperologist
      http://www.ripperologist.biz
      http://chrisgeorge.netpublish.net

Comment

Thank for the answers. He is now off my suspect list. Wish I had asked first instead of looking so long on the maps.

Comment

Hi mkjones,

I for one wouldn't mind seeing those clippings. Any chance you could post them here?
          This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

^ I was just going to say the same thing. You might - just might - have an account we haven't seen before.

PHILIP
            Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

No, they just rehash what was said in the London papers. I found a link to one of them on this site.

This one is on Maybrick. ttp://www.casebook.org/press_reports/atlanta_constitution/890601.html

The USA had their share of fake letters. http://www.casebook.org/press_report...on/890131.html

This one is intesting to me since I'm origianlly from Rome, GA.

Comment

New Ripper Letters eh?

Maybe you would be intrested to know in the one sent to a Hull newspaper way back in 1888......

I don't have the actual letter but through my research I have found the only article from the period to mention it!
                Regards Mike

Comment

Hi mkjones,

Yes, I'm sorry our naughty diarist sent you on a fool's errand there. Mind you, he did pick a frequent visitor to London, who got married there and even had a mistress from the East End. And he did have the sense to have the man take lodgings at an address in London, just ten pages into the diary. Middlesex Street would have been on your maps.

It's a pity your clippings didn't actually include the one on Maybrick you cited from the press reports here on site. You wouldn't have needed a single map then:

Atlanta Constitution
                  Georgia, U.S.A.
                  1 June 1889

ARSENIC FOR HER HUSBAND
                  An American Woman in England Charged With Murder

Liverpool, May 31.

...Maybrick fell in love with Florence, and after their arrival in England followed her to London. They were married at once in St. James' church, Piccadilly. The bride was then described as from Norfolk, Virginia. Mrs. Maybrick had a separate fortune of about $6,000 a year left by her father. Her husband owned a fine residence, Battlecrease House, Grassendale, a suburb of Liverpool...

But of course, you said your old clippings were on the ripper, not the Maybrick story. May I ask where you found the reference to 'Battlecrease Mansion' which began your search?

And may I say that's a wonderful address you have there: Cedar Bluff.

I think I may name my house in your honour.

Love,

Caz
                  Isawder Bluff
                  A Mile Away
                  X
                  Last edited by caz; 04-02-2008, 06:44 PM.
                  "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                  X