Barrett and the Diary.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Graham

Fair enough, I'd be happy to hear them too. Tell me, is there a comprehensive account of the Aussie connection out there somewhere I can have a read of? I've only picked up bits and pieces from this thread, so it'd be good to see something a little more coherent. Or are we in limbo until publication?

Cheers,
    B.

BTW, loved you in Seven. But The Mexican sucked.
    Bailey
    Wellington, New Zealand
    hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
    www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

Originally posted by Bailey View Post
      Hey Graham

Fair enough, I'd be happy to hear them too. Tell me, is there a comprehensive account of the Aussie connection out there somewhere I can have a read of? I've only picked up bits and pieces from this thread, so it'd be good to see something a little more coherent. Or are we in limbo until publication?

Cheers,
      B.

BTW, loved you in Seven. But The Mexican sucked.
      Hi Bailey,

The Aussie Connection goes way back. Read The Ripper Diary by Seth Linder,
      Keith Skinner and our own dear Caroline Morris to see just how and when it all started. Otherwise, get on down and track through the 'On The Trail Of The Forgers' thread on this very website...if you have a week or so to spare.

Cheers,

Graham.

PS: I'm old enough to know only the original, genuine and best version of The Seven...that rustling noise you may hear during Brad Pitt's various movie performances is the sound of him trying to act his way out of a paper bag...

G
      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Tell me, is there a comprehensive account of the Aussie connection out there somewhere I can have a read of?
        Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

...And there was no piece of such manifest twaddle that it could be blown out of the water with a single quotation...

...Unfortunately, confirmation of anything by Mike Barrett is about as much value as a small envelope of rat's droppings.

Ooh God, that shut Omlor up for once, didn't it?

The diary might be manifest twaddle, but an awful lot of manifest twaddle has been written in the attempt to blow it out of the water with a single quotation - and the help of Mike Barrett.

Must get a bottle of Martin Fido's aftershave and see if it works for me too.

Hush now falls on Diary Nation,
        Mighty O prepares to preach.
        Lost the art of conversation,
        Sadly not the gift of speech.

Love,

Caz
        X
        Last edited by caz; 10-17-2008, 06:41 PM.
        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Well, now that's just embarrassing Caz, I do have your book, it's right there on the shelf in a shiny hardcover, and I have read it, but it was way back when it was new, so obviously my sieve-like memory has leaked it all away. I'm planning to re-read it, but it seems like the reasonable thing would be to read Harrison and Feldman again first - the trilogy in order so to speak - and that's a more daunting prospect...

Anyhoo, all other reading may fall by the wayside for a bit, there's a new Pratchett out

B.
          Bailey
          Wellington, New Zealand
          hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
          www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

I can see that Caroline Morris has once again mentioned my name.

But I don't know why.

I haven't been reading here and I'm not sure what it is that was supposed to have "shut me up" (other than my current professional and personal responsibilities taking up so much of my time). But I do hope it wasn't the line she cited about Mike Barrett's reliability -- since it is her, delightfully, who has to rely on one of Mike's most impossible tales being somehow true in order for her to account for his knowledge of the only other book in the whole history of the written word that excerpts and cites the line from the Crashaw poem that the diary Mike gave us all excerpts and cites. Of course, there is also the most obvious explanation....

But perhaps that's not what is being discussed here. I'm not going back to check, since it looks like the recent posts here have mostly been just chit-chat, and that's as it should be given this joke of a hoax.

Bye for now,

--John
            Last edited by Omlor; 10-17-2008, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Well, now that's just embarrassing Caz, I do have your book, it's right there on the shelf in a shiny hardcover, and I have read it, but it was way back when it was new, so obviously my sieve-like memory has leaked it all away. I'm planning to re-read it, but it seems like the reasonable thing would be to read Harrison and Feldman again first - the trilogy in order so to speak - and that's a more daunting prospect...

Anyhoo, all other reading may fall by the wayside for a bit, there's a new Pratchett out

B.
              Hi Bailey,

Oh God, please don't think I was laughing at you for not having remembered the 'Aussie connection' from Ripper Diary - far from it. I was laughing at the very concept of a comprehensive account ever coming from the source of this alleged connection.

Love,

Caz
              X

Comment

Originally posted by Omlor View Post

I can see that Caroline Morris has once again mentioned my name.

But I don't know why.
                Not terribly bright then, are you Omlor?

Originally posted by Omlor View Post
                I suspect I am now being played. I don't like that. The thread is yours.
                It took you a while to cotton on in Soothsayer's case. But you have never cottoned on in my case, which is odd if you genuinely believe (as you have so often implied) that I have just been playing a game with you all these years and know the diary is a cheap modern hoax.

If you want an anachronism, you need look no further than Mike Barrett's claim that he got his trusty Sphere book in 1987, as a result of a disaster that happened in 1989. If you still want to believe he was reliably telling you that he knew who the hell Crashaw was, or had read a single word written by him, back in 1992 when he handed the diary over, then more fool you.

You have been played like a fiddle by Mike, so you can't blame anyone for thinking you must like it.

Love,

Caz
                X

Comment

Fascinating.

Caroline suggests I have been "played like a fiddle by Mike" when it is she who has chosen to believe one of Mike's most impossible and miraculous tales.

Only in Diary World...

--John

Comment

Working...
                  X