Clear All

• Dutfield's yard - New Photo ??

Does this look familiar?

JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Those bricks look rather modern, as does what appears to be a tarmac surface. Don't think that's the original Dutfield's Yard somehow.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Would be interested to know the provenance of this photo.

Comment

Interesting. My question would be why anyone would have taken this photograph unless it was of Dutfields Yard. Pretty pointless otherwise I would have thought. My gut feeling is that this was taken there, but perhaps many years later, by someone with an interest in the subject.
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
          Interesting. My question would be why anyone would have taken this photograph unless it was of Dutfields Yard. Pretty pointless otherwise I would have thought. My gut feeling is that this was taken there, but perhaps many years later, by someone with an interest in the subject.
          Lots of reasons someone might have taken a similar photo not of Dutfields.

A few I can think of

1. Wanted to show someone what they needed bricked up

2. To show the job they did repairing the ground

3. To send their brother "Hey remember how et used to climb through here when we locked ourselves out"

In a past life I worked part time in a photo lab, you couldn't begin to guess the things some people thought worthy of taking photographs of.

So to me it is still a question of provenance
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

there should be a closet(???) between the window and the door.
            there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
              Does this look familiar?

Richard, what makes you think this place is Dutfield's Yard? Was it listed as such on whatever site(?) you found it on?

Also, I'm curious about the inked "2" on the lower right corner. I can think of a few reasons for numbering what seems to be a simple snapshot:
              -- evidence in a trial
              -- auction on online-sale item
              -- maybe use as a photo in a manuscript of a book?
              -- Or...?

So why is this place important enough to be photographed in the first place, and why then number the photo?
              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

Comment

Not to be a party pooper, but Richard posted this "picture?"
                My question is, 'is it real?'
                Are we being tested?

Let me remind you what Richard wrote on another thread just two weeks ago....

"I am aiming for these images to actually be photo realistic,...."
                Movies, TV shows , documentaries and other visual media devoted or referencing Jack the Ripper.

Hmmm
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

It's a bit of both... real AND fake.

The 'photo' is of this location in my neck of the woods...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.19...7i13312!8i6656

with a bit of photoshopping added to really fake it up!

Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up
                  Last edited by richardh; 07-16-2017, 06:17 AM.

Comment

thought so lol. if you look at this sketch, i believe there is a ,,closet,, between the window and door
                    there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Great job of "fakery" Richard, and you're certainly entitled to a little leg-pulling considering how much enjoyment you've given us with your excellent recreations. Keep up the good work!

Dr. John
                      Last edited by Dr. John Watson; 07-16-2017, 09:03 AM. Reason: added word
                      "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
                      Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

Those aren't the cobblestones that Samuel Friedman walked upon?

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post
                          IMG]http://jtr3d.com/img/Dutfields/DY_cobbles.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up
                          Great work, as always, Richard. As to the pavement, I found that Diemshutz stated: "The gutter of the yard is paved with large stones, and the centre with smaller irregular stones." Perhaps you have such a pavement in your magician's hat to add to this picture?
                          "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
                          Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

Well, it was only knocked up in a few minutes on Saturday, as a little bit of tom-foolery! But don't you think the cellar window and door configuration on the building I linked via google maps is quite a likeness for Dutfield's (especially looking at Phillip's (Hutchinson) Dutfield's Yard photo?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.19...7i13312!8i6656

Anyway, that photo was taken in 1912 (see the photo reverse) so I think they had removed the setts by then

Comment

Working...
                            X