Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by cobalt 54 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by DJA 1 hour and 23 minutes ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre Sq, The demise is almost complete - by c.d. 2 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by Graham 2 hours ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre Sq, The demise is almost complete - by Herlock Sholmes 2 hours ago.
Visual Media: London 1924 in colour - by Herlock Sholmes 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (8 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre Sq, The demise is almost complete - (7 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (7 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (7 posts)
Visual Media: London 1924 in colour - (6 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere was Jack the Ripper - (6 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Old 03-08-2018, 09:10 AM
Casebook Supporter

Thank you Joshua. I don't understand how a woman can have a baby rattling round inside her and not know it, but as Mr Spock says, it simply exists.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:21 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
Hi AS,

Iíve just checked and the 4 episodes screened so far are available to watch on YouTube. This is the first one:

[url]https://youtu.be/p6gN93hJxVE
YouTube now has a notice at this link that the account has been "deactivated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement", so I guess we Americans will need to see if they make a version for us.

It is an interesting concept, if you can find people willing to admit their ancestors were criminals. Though I guess Mr. Mudgett doesn't have a problem with that.
---------------
Old 03-09-2018, 04:35 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
It is an interesting concept, if you can find people willing to admit their ancestors were criminals. Though I guess Mr. Mudgett doesn't have a problem with that.
Or willing to accuse them outright, without a shred of evidence. A couple of other ripper 'suspects' in that predicament spring to mind, Pat.

The theme of Murder, Mystery & My Family, now sadly at an end unless they do another series, overwhelmingly concerned the relatives of the convicted person hoping new evidence could be found for their innocence, or at least to make the original verdict unsafe.

Love,

Caz
X

Last edited by caz : 03-09-2018 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:57 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
YouTube now has a notice at this link that the account has been "deactivated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement", so I guess we Americans will need to see if they make a version for us.

I wonder why Pat? $$$

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Old 03-09-2018, 10:38 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
It is an interesting concept, if you can find people willing to admit their ancestors were criminals.
Hi Pat,

I once shared an office with a fellow who was heavily into genealogy, in the days before computers and the internet. He went to great lengths to delve into the history of, I believe, his father's family. However, it all came to a sudden end when one day, to his huge surprise and embarrassment, he discovered that an ancestor of his had been hanged for murder some time during the 19th century. He couldn't handle this! Had it been someone in my family, I'd have been rivetted!

Graham
Old 03-09-2018, 04:32 PM
Detective

It has been said if you delve long enough into your genealogy you will definitely find "illegitimacy, criminality or insanity." Just look at the Royal Family, for instance...

Or as the Scouser said: "Dat's rite, dah... All mine are mad, thieving bastards..." [I'm a Scouser so am entitled to make such jokes!]

Sherlock Holmes, in The Adventure of The Reigate Squires
Old 03-10-2018, 02:11 PM
Constable

Some of the points in the cases of this programme can be applied to the Ripper. Particularly with times of death and blood splattering. Seems like nothing changes in the world of good old murder even after 130 years.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:30 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Hi Pat,

I once shared an office with a fellow who was heavily into genealogy, in the days before computers and the internet. He went to great lengths to delve into the history of, I believe, his father's family. However, it all came to a sudden end when one day, to his huge surprise and embarrassment, he discovered that an ancestor of his had been hanged for murder some time during the 19th century. He couldn't handle this! Had it been someone in my family, I'd have been rivetted!

Graham
Hi Graham,

When I was seriously researching up to the year 2008 at the 42nd Street Library, I used to delve into a four volume series from about 1900 of a magazine called "Famous Crimes" that was published in Great Britain. The paper was like onion skin, and one had to be very careful turning pages because they tore so easily. It was obvious that the reason the magazine was so cheap when published was the quality of the paper made it so.

Anyway, the editors received mail from readers, and occasionally they got letters from descendants of executed felons. When they replied they did not give the original correspondence nor the name of the individual who wrote. On one occasion I noted the limits the magazine would go to on what they felt they could discuss. They had no problem with the Whitechapel Murders or Charlie Peace, but one correspondent asked if they were going to discuss an 1811 case. They were scandalized by the request and said they'd never print anything about such a filthy case.

Without naming it they were referring to the Hepburn and White Affair (I think it was called). An army Ensign and a drummer boy apparently had sodomy together, were caught, and executed. Interesting that the subject of murder (even of children - the series had a discussion of the 1876 Blackburn Child murderer William Fish) was included but not sodomy.

Jeff
Old 03-17-2018, 11:11 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayerling View Post
Hi Graham,

When I was seriously researching up to the year 2008 at the 42nd Street Library, I used to delve into a four volume series from about 1900 of a magazine called "Famous Crimes" that was published in Great Britain. The paper was like onion skin, and one had to be very careful turning pages because they tore so easily. It was obvious that the reason the magazine was so cheap when published was the quality of the paper made it so.

Anyway, the editors received mail from readers, and occasionally they got letters from descendants of executed felons. When they replied they did not give the original correspondence nor the name of the individual who wrote. On one occasion I noted the limits the magazine would go to on what they felt they could discuss. They had no problem with the Whitechapel Murders or Charlie Peace, but one correspondent asked if they were going to discuss an 1811 case. They were scandalized by the request and said they'd never print anything about such a filthy case.

Without naming it they were referring to the Hepburn and White Affair (I think it was called). An army Ensign and a drummer boy apparently had sodomy together, were caught, and executed. Interesting that the subject of murder (even of children - the series had a discussion of the 1876 Blackburn Child murderer William Fish) was included but not sodomy.

Jeff
Doubt the sodomy would be punishable so harshly if it was a man buggering his gal up the arse

In all seriousness, the criminalization of homosexual activity is a sad part of many societies still today. It is surprising to learn of a capital punishment for such behavior even 200 years ago in a 1st world country. Were there any extra circumstances in that case? Not that it would come close to justifying it, but it's also hard to believe that was the blanket law back then.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:06 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanSherlock View Post
Doubt the sodomy would be punishable so harshly if it was a man buggering his gal up the arse

In all seriousness, the criminalization of homosexual activity is a sad part of many societies still today. It is surprising to learn of a capital punishment for such behavior even 200 years ago in a 1st world country. Were there any extra circumstances in that case? Not that it would come close to justifying it, but it's also hard to believe that was the blanket law back then.
I know nothing about the case except for the "hushed up" cause of the case and it's double execution. "Famous Crimes" was published from 1900 to 1904 which is within a decade of Oscar Wilde's trials, and he died in 1900 too. In 1903 one of Britain's most popular generals, Hector MacFarlane ("Fighting Mac"), who led the last charge at Omdurman in 1898 and had been appointed Military Governor of the colony (then) of Ceylon (now Sri Lanka), had resigned when he returned to London, and subsequently shot himself in Paris. Officially it was "overwork", but word soon spread of rumors about MacFarlane and local Ceylonese boys. And it wasn't only Britain. In 1902 the head of the Krupp Industrial empire in Germany killed himself (I believe in Capri, then notorious for male sodomy relationships) when about to be exposed.

If I find out more about the 1811 affair, I will post it here.

Jeff