Why Buck's Row?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collingbourne Beerhouse

Actually, I believe Pierre could be right. There was a criminal apprehended in the "Collingbourne Beerhouse" in June of 1883 in Buck's Row. If said establishment was still around 5 years later then this could have been the reason Polly was in Buck's Row. Though I don't have the exact address the beer house in question was said to be "...in Buck's Row, quite close to White's Row".
    Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkerton View Post
      Actually, I believe Pierre could be right. There was a criminal apprehended in the "Collingbourne Beerhouse" in June of 1883 in Buck's Row. If said establishment was still around 5 years later then this could have been the reason Polly was in Buck's Row. Though I don't have the exact address the beer house in question was said to be "...in Buck's Row, quite close to White's Row".
      There was a Buck's Row near White's Row off Commercial Street, near Christ Church, until 1864, which shouldn't be confused with the Buck's Row that later became Durward Street. It's possible that locally it was still referred to as Buck's Row and that's where the beerhouse was located.
      Christopher T. George
      Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
      just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
      For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
      RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Hi All,

I think you'll find the beer house was the Colle(e)n Bawn. It was situated between Court Street and Thomas Street, but had been demolished by 1888.

Gary

Comment

I don't know the name, but there was a pub at the East end of Buck's Row, on the corner at 29 Brady Street.

Also, at least 4 more along Whitechapel Road where it runs parallel to Buck's Row and Winthrop Street, according to an 1895 map.
          Last edited by Joshua Rogan; 10-31-2016, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
            If a woman had been killed at Buck's Row between 3.15 - 3.40am, is it likely that Lechmere would've been one of the first to discover the body?
            Obviously, since he did. It is an historical fact. Fisherman wants to change history. But the sources are not cooperating with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
              I don't know the name, but there was a pub at the East end of Buck's Row, on the corner at 29 Brady Street.

Also, at least 4 more along Whitechapel Road where it runs parallel to Buck's Row and Winthrop Street, according to an 1895 map.
              The Roebuck, I've had a drink in there. It's demolished now sometime in the 90's

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
                The Roebuck, I've had a drink in there. It's demolished now sometime in the 90's
                The Roebuck, how very apt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                  (However, that idea isn't really supported by forensic evidence of the attack, in which she seems to have been upright, not sitting or lying down when attacked.)
                  Hmm? What forensic evidence suggests this.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                    There was a Buck's Row near White's Row off Commercial Street, near Christ Church, until 1864, which shouldn't be confused with the Buck's Row that later became Durward Street. It's possible that locally it was still referred to as Buck's Row and that's where the beerhouse was located.
                    Good call Chris. After looking at the map I noticed White's Row isn't anywhere near the "Buck's Row" where Polly Nichol's was killed.

However Mr. Barnett brings up a good point. I did notice further down in the Old Bailey case (https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brow...urne#highlight) that a witness also referred to the bar as the "Colleen Bawn". And if it was located between "Court and Thomas" street on Durward then it IS the same Buck's Row as the one where Polly Nichols was killed. One witness also said that it was 5 minutes from Baker's Row, which also makes sound like it is what is now Durward Street. I wonder if perhaps there was a second "White's Row" that was being referred to?

Mr. Barnett, how do you know that the "Colleen Bawn" was torn down by 1888?
                    Jeff

Comment

Good call Chris. After looking at the map I noticed White's Row isn't anywhere near the "Buck's Row" where Polly Nichol's was killed.

However Mr. Barnett brings up a good point. I did notice further down in the Old Bailey case (https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brow...urne#highlight) that a witness also referred to the bar as the "Colleen Bawn". And if it was located between "Court and Thomas" street on Durward then it IS the same Buck's Row as the one where Polly Nichols was killed. One witness also said that it was 5 minutes from Baker's Row, which also makes sound like it is what is now Durward Street. I wonder if perhaps there was a second "White's Row" that was being referred to?

There was indeed more than one White's Row. The part of what is now Durward Street that's West of the board school (where Buck's Row and Winthrop St meet) was White's Row. Which led in turn to Bakers Row, now Vallance Street.
                      The White's Row in Spitalfields was to the South of and parallel to Dorset Street.

Comment

Hi Pinkerton,

Here's the answer to your question and the confusion over White's Row:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	666824

The map of Buck's Row in 1888 is in the Casebook photo archive.

Gary
                        Last edited by MrBarnett; 11-01-2016, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Hopefully this map shows it;

Edit: I see Mr Barnett got there first with the map. And it's not even blurry
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi All,

In 1888 there was a pub at 32 Thomas Street.

It was the Sir John Barleycorn.

Regards,

Simon
                            Last edited by Simon Wood; 11-01-2016, 08:05 AM. Reason: spolling mistook
                            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

If you have a look at post 14 here, you'll see that Rob Clack places 1 - 5, Buck's Row on the north side of the street between Thomas Street and Court Street, based on the 1881 census.

But rather strangely, no. 3 appears twice on the census. Once, as Rob says, between 1 and 5, and then again next door to the Collen Bawn, between 11, Court Street and 14, Thomas Street, which I have taken to be on the south side of the street.

Discussion for general Whitechapel geography, mapping and routes the killer might have taken. Also the place for general census information and "what was it like in Whitechapel" discussions.

Comment

Assuming there was a public house in the area, would it be open at that time of the morning?

Comment

Working...
                                X