No announcement yet.

Prater's stairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Or tweaking that version a bit more we have a FULL width and height partition:

JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

• Originally posted by richardh View Post
      Or tweaking that version a bit more we have a FULL width and height partition:

Commenting solely on this layout, it appears to me the space in front of the door to rm 20 could be called a passage, whereas the space in front of rm 19, being at the top of the stairs (coming up from the ground level), might be called the landing.

I think the testimony has it the other way around, the passage was outside rm 19, and the landing was closest to rm 20.
      Mirror image?

I'm not saying this arrangement (or the mirror image of it), is correct, but it would suit the testimony.
      We have an uncertainty how to identify this passage & landing, or were they the same area? A conclusive answer to this is beyond us present.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Well, I'm out of ideas!

I'll have to go back to the drawing board so to speak.

Comment

• A radically different layout:

Comment

• What was wrong with this earlier layout, Richard?

At the top of the stairs room 19 is to the left, as I think you wanted.
            And, as you step out of room 19 there is a passage to your right (not shown) that must run towards the bottom of the stairs that go up to the next floor (assuming the orientation is identical to those shown).
            The landing could be said to be outside room 20.
            The Millers Court door is ok where shown.
            Anyone can see the partition to Kelly's room as you climb the stairs, looking over your left shoulder or as you turn the stairs in the corner, certainly, but this may have been the case.
            The stairs enter the next level through the joists, as required.

I can't remember why you abandoned it.
            Last edited by Wickerman; 01-02-2016, 10:30 AM.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• It doesn't tick all the testimony boxes.

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
              What was wrong with this earlier layout, Richard?

At the top of the stairs room 19 is to the left, as I think you wanted.
              And, as you step out of room 19 there is a passage to your right (not shown) that must run towards the bottom of the stairs that go up to the next floor (assuming the orientation is identical to those shown).
              The landing could be said to be outside room 20.
              The Millers Court door is ok where shown.
              Anyone can see the partition to Kelly's room as you climb the stairs, looking over your left shoulder or as you turn the stairs in the corner, certainly, but this may have been the case.
              The stairs enter the next level through the joists, as required.

I can't remember why you abandoned it.

Comment

• Robert's said (as he exits rm 19), "the door opens into the passage"

Also he said: "I took it from her in the passage at the head of the stairs"

Then: "when my wife was struck, she did not call out, "Oh, Jesus," and run on to the landing; she came out and fell against me in the passage—she squeezed through us—I let her go by to get assistance, and when she got to the top of the staircase she fell"

Which seems to suggest you exit rm 19, through or across a passage, onto the landing, at the top of the staircase.

Kate Marshall said: "the room occupied by Amory is separated from ours by a passage and a spare room,"

Can you find any quotes that do not support that layout Richard?
                Last edited by Wickerman; 01-02-2016, 10:44 AM.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• "There is a wooden partition between, also a little store room, but it is on the same floor as Roberts."
                  Got the store room but where's the wooden partition? unless we'r talking about the actual wall to #20 which I don't think is the case.
                  and:
                  "with her back to the partition; her feet were towards Amory's room."
                  Again where's the partition?

Robert's said (as he exits rm 19), "the door opens into the passage"

Also he said: "I took it from her in the passage at the head of the stairs"

Then: "when my wife was struck, she did not call out, "Oh, Jesus," and run on to the landing; she came out and fell against me in the passage—she squeezed through us—I let her go by to get assistance, and when she got to the top of the staircase she fell"

Which seems to suggest you exit rm 19, through or across a passage, onto the landing, at the top of the staircase.

Kate Marshall said: "the room occupied by Amory is separated from ours by a passage and a spare room,"

Can you find any quotes that do not support that layout Richard?

Comment

"There is a wooden partition between, also a little store room, but it is on the same floor as Roberts."
                    Got the store room but where's the wooden partition? unless we'r talking about the actual wall to #20 which I don't think is the case.
                    I took it that the front of the store room, being obviously of wood, is the partition that spans the space between rm 20 & 19.

and:
                    "with her back to the partition; her feet were towards Amory's room."
                    Again where's the partition?
                    The trouble with this statement is, we don't know if her legs were straight out, or sitting as women often do with their legs bent at the knees to one side (the right?), so their feet point opposite (to the left?).
                    Her legs may not have been straight out, is all I'm saying.

Ok, supposing you install a partition halfway between rooms 19 & 20, to separate a passage from the landing, it would come perpendicular off the store room wall - you would then need to move the store room door to the left or right?

Like you did here, in brown:

Then you may be able to provide a backwall for her to sit against while her legs extent straight towards rm 20 - just a suggestion.

Only do it to this layout.

Last edited by Wickerman; 01-02-2016, 11:03 AM.
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Question: Apart from the store room, was there any other cupboard mentioned on the 1st (#19 & #20) floor?

Comment

• Well, Here's what I have now!

note the ???

Got Prater's door in a good place Although it would have been better on the other side of the stairs in order to position things better on the 1st floor landing.

The ??? are because I have a lot of unused space there - hence why I asked if there was mention of another store cupboard.

Not sure about the stairs, they seem a bit crushed up. But there is a bit of a partition around the stairs to the 2nd floor.

Not sure how many of the testimony points this satisfies.

Advice please.

Comment

Well, Here's what I have now!

note the ???

The ??? are because I have a lot of unused space there - hence why I asked if there was mention of another store cupboard.
                          Just a quick thought, think it over before you make changes
                          In order to justify that passage (????), what if the stairs going up to the floor above 19 & 20, actually began at the end of that passage, so you are left with a small square landing in stead of an oblong landing (mezzanine?), half way up those stairs?
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• But they won't then match the config for the ground floor stairs - unless I also alter those too (or does it matter?). In which case Prater's door will need to be moved back along the passageway to the middle.

Oh and if i did that then the stairs surrounded by that square partition will vanish and that square will be empty. Even more space saved

Just a quick thought, think it over before you make changes
                            In order to justify that passage (????), what if the stairs going up actually began at the end of that passage, so you are left with a small square landing in stead of an oblong landing (mezzanine?), half way up those stairs?
                            Last edited by richardh; 01-02-2016, 02:32 PM.

Comment

But they won't then match the config for the ground floor stairs - unless I also alter those too (or does it matter?). In which case Prater's door will need to be moved back along the passageway to the middle.
                              Yes, we should keep matching configurations in mind, I was leading towards making that suggestion for both levels, but wanted to examine one application first.
                              I also notice you have the store room at 8ft 6in wide by 6ft deep?
                              Would 9ft x 5ft benefit this layout at all?
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• I'm at a loss to explain what that passage could have been for if we leave the floor plan as you had it. Not that this is a problem, but it may be a point of criticism.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X