Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack in the news 16th September 2009

babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

I just read the article. It suggests that Joseph Silver is Jack the Ripper.
    I dont remember ever reading or hearing about him but im sure someone on the site has. Anyway I decided to play with the pictures in the article a little bit, and over lap them for comparison. Here they are for your viewing.
    I see some simularities however we must take into consideration that the composite was done in 2006 and (I think) loosely based on a photo of James Maybrick so it may not be accurate to begin with.
    Attached Files
    'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

Comment

Smezenen writes:

"I just read the article. It suggests that Joseph Silver is Jack the Ripper.
      I dont remember ever reading or hearing about him but im sure someone on the site has."

Absolutely - he was put forward by the Southafrican author and historian Charles van Onselen a year or two ago. I bought the book, but it was a disappointment, at least in my judgement. Much ado ´bout nothing, if you ask me.

The best,
      Fisherman

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
        Smezenen writes:

"I just read the article. It suggests that Joseph Silver is Jack the Ripper.
        I dont remember ever reading or hearing about him but im sure someone on the site has."

Absolutely - he was put forward by the Southafrican author and historian Charles van Onselen a year or two ago. I bought the book, but it was a disappointment, at least in my judgement. Much ado ´bout nothing, if you ask me.

The best,
        Fisherman
        Thanks Fisherman.
        I was jsut reading about it. and your right not a very likely story.
        I also just looked again at my photo work above and realized where I have seen someone that looks like my first overlaped photo,...the picture of Robert Leroy Parker AKA Butch Casidy, taken in New York just before he fled to south america, I wonder if he visited Whitechaple in 1888?
        Attached Files
        'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

Comment

It also states that this is a picture of 29 hanbury street. Is this true? Don't remember ever having seen this one...
          Every man looking for salvation by himself... Like a coal drawn from the fire...

Comment

Originally posted by deckard1 View Post

It also states that this is a picture of 29 hanbury street. Is this true? Don't remember ever having seen this one...
            Yes, indeed it is. This image was posted on JTRForums a little while back. It was taken by Robin Odell in 1964/5, though I don't think it has been published in print before.

A view of this area can be seen in the film 'The London Nobody Knows' too.

Comment

I see, so this shot is probably taken with his back towards the backdoor and the body would have been lying to the left?
              Every man looking for salvation by himself... Like a coal drawn from the fire...

Comment

Originally posted by deckard1 View Post
                I see, so this shot is probably taken with his back towards the backdoor and the body would have been lying to the left?
                Yes, pretty mutch. The body would have been out of sight to the left. The wall to the right of the picture is that of the Truman Brewery.

Comment

I wonder if Robin has any other old photos lying around.

Comment

Dear Grave:

In the revised edition of " The Man Who Hunted Jack the Ripper", by SPE/Nicholas Connell....there are two photographs of Church Passage ( Aldgate) taken by Mr. Odell which appear, I believe, for the first time..in this book.

Comment

Harry Cording

Hello. The composite looks slightly like the actor Harry Cording. Pity he was not born until 1891.

LC

Comment

Thank you for posting the link, I hadn't heard of this suspect before now. I feel really out of it

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                          Yes, indeed it is. This image was posted on JTRForums a little while back. It was taken by Robin Odell in 1964/5, though I don't think it has been published in print before.

A view of this area can be seen in the film 'The London Nobody Knows' too.
                          Hey, the posted link to this picture is now gone...
                          Can anyone tell me where I might find another copy of Robin Odells picture of the backyard of 29 Hanbury street?

Thanks, Chris.

Comment

Working...
                          X