This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everyone,

You probably don't remember me, haven't posted for ages. I took some shots of Mitre Square, the site of Miller's Court and various other places of interest last year (pages 295-297 of this thread).
    I'll be back in London in a few weeks and I'm planning on taken up where I left off, so should have some more photos to post shortly.
    Hope everyone is well, I'm off to read the many pages of this thread I've missed!

Kate

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
      Preparations now well underway for the demolition of Mitre Square. Photo taken last Friday, 5 October. Much of the surrounding buildings have fencing in front. Could be a matter of weeks.

[ATTACH]14644[/ATTACH]
      Oh my goodness! Can anyone tell me what is happening to Mitre Square please? I haven't been around for a while. Is it still accessible?

Comment

• Originally posted by katemills View Post
        Oh my goodness! Can anyone tell me what is happening to Mitre Square please? I haven't been around for a while. Is it still accessible?
        Found out. So glad I've been there to experience the atmosphere and take some photos before this work started - better get my bottom in gear quick and get what remains of the sites/places of interest before the bulldozer does.

Comment

• C.A. Mathew Photo Exposition At Sandys Row Synagogue

An exposition devoted to the work of the pioneering East End photographer C.A. Mathew is going on now at the historic Sandys Row Synagogue.
          I believe the webpage says it will run until February 2013.

From the 20th September 2012, Sandys Row Synagogue will be exhibiting the photographs of C.A. Mathew. It is the first time that many of these images have ever

Wish I could attend!

Cheers,
          Archaic
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Archaic; 10-27-2012, 05:10 AM. Reason: added photo

Comment

• The thing I find fascinating about photos like these is that you just don't know whether one of the faces staring out at you could be one of your ancestors caught in a random moment of their lives...it's even slightly unnerving...

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Hello everybody, haven't been here for a while...

I'm posting these purely for the sake of atmosphere. They are not Whitechapel, in fact, there not even London. They are actually some photo's of the dutch city of Nijmegen (Nimway). I just figured they are too good to hold back so I hope you will enjoy them. They immediatly put thoughts of victorian East London in my mind. All of the buildings in these pictures have been demolished since.

I hope it's ok to post these here, I have more if you like.

Best wishes,
              Chris.
              Attached Files
              Every man looking for salvation by himself... Like a coal drawn from the fire...

Comment

• Originally posted by deckard1 View Post
                I'm posting these purely for the sake of atmosphere. They are not Whitechapel, in fact, there not even London. They are actually some photo's of the Dutch city of Nijmegen (Nimway). I just figured they are too good to hold back so I hope you will enjoy them. They immediately put thoughts of Victorian East London in my mind. All of the buildings in these pictures have been demolished since.

Super old photos, Chris

The middle one could almost be Gunthorpe Street in 1888.

More please
                allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• I'm glad you like them Stephen, quite remarkable aren't they?

Here's more.
                  Attached Files
                  Every man looking for salvation by himself... Like a coal drawn from the fire...

Comment

• So the top right portion of the bottom right picture is the top left picture, - I see.

That toilet looks a cold place

Great pictures! - just luv the old stuff and tiddles is watching the cameraman
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                      So the top right portion of the bottom right picture is the top left picture, - I see.

That toilet looks a cold place

Great pictures! - just luv the old stuff and tiddles is watching the cameraman
                      Exactly, it was a dead-end street ( in every sense of the word ). Also notice how al the streets are sloped downwards. In these areas, all the tanning bussineses, meat industries and al other 'dirty' means of making a living were located, near the river Waal ( the docks ). When it rained al the dirt and filth would wash down the street to the river. It was called 'De Benedenstad' ( Lower City ) Many streets were named afetr the professions most common in these areas, like 'Vleeshouwerstraat' (Meatcleaverstreet) , and Achter de Vismarkt ( Behind the Fishmarket ). An accidental bombing raid by the allies destroyed most of the lower city ( they got lost and thought they were over the german city of Kleve), by the end of the fourties the place was to derelict to be saved, almost the entire erea was demolished. I feel there are many similarities to the history of a place like Whitechapel, exept that Nijmegen has no famous serial killer that i know of.

Good night,

Chris.

Comment

• good work. Are these pictures from the "Lost London" book ?
                        His man Bowyer
                        (Forgive my accent, I've been to France for a while…)

—————————————

Comment

• On Friday I visited Commercial Street Police Station.

Here are some of the photos I took

1) The front desk. The window has now been filled in however this would have been where the public was greeted and where Bowyer and McCarthy reported the body of Mary Kelly in Millers Court.

2) The basement passage which leads to the vaults, Commercial Street side.

3) One of the basement vault. In there were stored coal, boxes and swabs.....cleaning utensils to you and I.

4) A huge hing that would have held one on the vault doors in place.

5) The current comminunal yard. In 1888 I would have been standing in the parade room, with the yard floor above my head. Here the PCs would muster before going out onto the beat.

6) Yard again. The building at the back was another coal store with the door on the right as we view it being a WC. The actual yard level would have been at the top of this building, where the steps lead up.

7) This insignificant corridor was not there in 1888. At that time it was the mess room.

Monty
                          Attached Files
                          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Fascinating stuff, Monty. Did you have to make a prior appointment to gain access? When you say that the yard level would be at the top of this building, am I right in thinking that this whole area has been dug out, for some reason, since 1888? (Apologies for being slow on the uptake there!).

Regards, Bridewell.
                            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                              Fascinating stuff, Monty. Did you have to make a prior appointment to gain access? When you say that the yard level would be at the top of this building, am I right in thinking that this whole area has been dug out, for some reason, since 1888? (Apologies for being slow on the uptake there!).

Regards, Bridewell.
                              No Colin,

No appointment. I was taking photos outside and this chap was passing and we started talking. He said he lived in the building and asked if Id like a brief look around as he was due to be at work.

So I had the briefest of looks and arranged to go back at a later date.

Now it is yes. Im in the process of trying to establish when this was done originally.

Monty
                              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                                No Colin,

No appointment. I was taking photos outside and this chap was passing and we started talking. He said he lived in the building and asked if Id like a brief look around as he was due to be at work.

So I had the briefest of looks and arranged to go back at a later date.

Now it is yes. Im in the process of trying to establish when this was done originally.

Monty
                                Hi Monty,

Thanks for filling me in. When do you get to go back?

regards, Bridewell.
                                I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Working...
                                X