Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It can't be Millers Court because there are too many dwellings.

Here's a Renoiresque stallholder on Shoreditch High Street in the1890s.

Click image for larger version

Name:	shoreditch 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	659335

Click image for larger version

Name:	shoreditch 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	659336
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• [QUOTE=Stephen Thomas;132995]

Here's a Renoiresque stallholder on Shoreditch High Street in the1890s.

Love the photo and love the lady with the hand on her hip!
      "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
      Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

• It would be nice to know which direction we're facing in the court photo. Those buildings in the background are so faint. I was trying to see if there was anything left on the north side that would help place the photo, but the details are too fuzzy. There are some old-looking buildings on Brushfield, but they don't look quite tall enough to be these, esp. the one on the left.
        "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. John Watson View Post

Love the photo and love the lady with the hand on her hip
          Yes, you just have to, don't you John.

And it's just up the road from Dorset Street.

Comment

• Up drinking in town today - went to Hennesys for the first time opposite Mitre Square - formerly of course "The Three Tuns" - always fascinated me thinking people from the Whitechapel Vigilance Commitee where meeting here the night Jack ripped just across the street...........
            Attached Files

Comment

• Adam,

Is Hennessy's the pub on Jewry Street? Do they have anything decent on the pumps besides, I assume, Guinness?

Comment

• Yes - Jewry St. A few ales - didnt notice what to be honest - just went for a lager!

Comment

• Just like most people here, I walk the streets of Whitechapel via Google Earth and if i'm not mistaken, both Mitre Street and Mitre Square were not photographed until recently, or am I wrong here?
                  Anyway, the curb lines seem to follow the outlines of some of the original buildings when I compare them with maps of that period. It really gives you a strong feeling of how small Mitre Square actually was, in stark contrast to the clear open space it is now.

I'm not really treading any new ground here I know...
                  Every man looking for salvation by himself... Like a coal drawn from the fire...

Comment

• Hi Deckard

A point regarding Google Earth. Although a fantastic tool, those of us who enjoy uploading images of the East End of London to this web site, seem to be superfluous don't you think?

As you say you can walk around the East End in Google Earth as if you were there, it really is a most usefull tool.

All the best

Observer

Comment

• Superfluous? No not really because Google Earth cannot always capture atmosphere and there are no night-shots available.
                      However, it is a good way of judging certain distances between houses and streets and other locations.
                      Last edited by deckard1; 05-05-2010, 02:14 PM.
                      Every man looking for salvation by himself... Like a coal drawn from the fire...

Comment

• Ah, atmosphere, err yes. I'd accept that therte are no night shots though.

Observer

Comment

• Well I read that Google Street Maps recently uploaded another 22,000 miles worth of road images that were not on there previously...........so that would explain it.

Comment

• I don't know if this has been posted previously but I don't remember seeing it
                            Have a look...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                              I don't know if this has been posted previously but I don't remember seeing it
                              Have a look...

http://website.lineone.net/~ken_goldfinch/old.html
                              Wow, thanks Chris for finding this website.

Whitechapel fades into Bethnal Green,

And Bethnal Green fades into Hackney.

Where exactly was that tea warehouse?

Anybody?

Comment

• I think it is the one in Bethnal Green, Stephen.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                                X