Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back of 29 Hanbury St...backyard ?

Good day all,

I was wondering what kind of building was overlooking 29 Hanbury St own backyard and adjacent backyards.
    From maps posted in the archives, it looks like there were no dwelling properties in this area, but rather some industrial/wharehousing structures.

A quick glance of these can be had in the bit about 29 Hanbury St in the 1967 documentary about London with James Mason.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjIUQqrkJdU

One can see a rather large window which appears to be located at least 6 or 7 feet above the ground.
    Anyone ?

The Truman Brewery perhaps? Part of Hanbury street was demolished to make room for expansion for this brewery you see?
    Grtz, Chris.
    Every man looking for salvation by himself... Like a coal drawn from the fire...

Comment

Marc,

Welcome to the site.

This link will show you the ord map for the Hanbury st area and you can see what was there in 1890 and 1929. Go down to post #10.

Welcome to Deckard, too. I hope you both enjoy the site.

In addition, here's a scanned map of the 1894 Ord Map.

Last edited by Celesta; 05-01-2010, 04:52 PM.
      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Thanks a lot Celesta and deckard01 !

The first link didn't work for me though (this is a forum which does need registration)

Marc
        Last edited by Marc; 05-01-2010, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Quick update :

I've managed to find the right thread for details about 29 Hanbury St backyard, with an interesting photo to boot ! (thx again Celesta)
          Seems like the building which was overlooking directly the backyard was indeed part of a brewery (good guess deckard01)

Comment

Sorry, Marc. I didn't realize it wouldn't work.
            "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc View Post
              Quick update :
              Seems like the building which was overlooking directly the backyard was indeed part of a brewery (good guess deckard01)
              It was an educated guess
              Every man looking for salvation by himself... Like a coal drawn from the fire...

Comment

Hey they won't allow me to register!
                Must be freemasons.

Or maybe it's just because i'm dutch.

Comment

I don't know. Maybe there's a glitch of some kind in the registration, right now. Sites sometimes burp, you know. I think they send an email and then you connect with the site through that, which is fairly standard.

Comment

Originally posted by deckard1 View Post
                    Hey they won't allow me to register!
                    Hi

The same thing happened to me and I later found out that Howard was blocking e-mails coming via Hotmail. I got round the problem by sending him a private message (see top right) on this site.
                    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Working...
                    X