Best suspect book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
    I do not understand why you are choosing to attribute some unpleasant attitude to my posting. My post was written from my heart, in absolute honesty and frankness, and explains my position clearly and without any "side" to it.

Therefore I do not appreciate your snarling response.

I await an apology as public as your snarl.

Helena
    Hi Helena. If I took your words in the wrong context and replied inappropriately, then I do apologize. But it appeared to me that you were reading a lot into my initial posts that were there and continued to do so even after I explained myself. Even so, I was a bit more snarly than I should have been. PM me your e-mail address because I've made something neat for you.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. I have not read your book yet because I want to keep this hardback copy in pristine condition. I'm waiting for the Kindle version to read it. So you get my money twice!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
      Hi Helena. If I took your words in the wrong context and replied inappropriately, then I do apologize. But it appeared to me that you were reading a lot into my initial posts that were there and continued to do so even after I explained myself. Even so, I was a bit more snarly than I should have been. PM me your e-mail address because I've made something neat for you.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. I have not read your book yet because I want to keep this hardback copy in pristine condition. I'm waiting for the Kindle version to read it. So you get my money twice!
      Tom, you most certainly did read my words wrongly in your mind. I am now very excited to find out what this neat thing might be. My emails is no secret it is hastings.press@gmail.com

And I'd love to take your money twice. Three times, if possible - can I interest you in a paperback? ;-)

Helena
      Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Tom, you most certainly did read my words wrongly in your mind. I am now very excited to find out what this neat thing might be. My emails is no secret it is hastings.press@gmail.com

And I'd love to take your money twice. Three times, if possible - can I interest you in a paperback? ;-)

Helena
        I'll tell you what...you get Michael Richards to buy just one and I'll get all three! I just sent you the e-mail. It's a funny version of Gangham Style I made starring George Chapman.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I agree with you about Tully. I would not put down Cornwell's book as the worst, because there are many books that are just as absurd but not nearly as well-written and engaging. A good book educates as well as entertains. Cornwell's at least entertained.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
          OK. "The worst book I have personally read"? "The worst book that was not published by a vanity press"?

Honestly, anything that attributes Freudian motives to the killer is bottom-of-the-barrel, and then, the first cause of the Freudian chain is probably a figment of her imagination.

But what really made me mad was that she had some story about how Sickert must have seen Nichols' body in situ, because he reproduced it in a painting, the evidence for which was the fact that the eyes were closed on the figure in the painting, and there's a blurry mortuary photo of Nichols, where the eyes kinda do look closed-- but it's a familiar photo down to the rip in the corner, which has been reproduced in better quality in just about every Ripper book ever, and her eyes are open.

There are so many questions begged there, that she probably had to get a solicitor's license to publish it in New York-- and when you get down to it, the primary supposition is easily disproved.

A bit of a tangent, but stick with me-- there's a famous story about a man who really did have his penis mutilated by doctors, who tried to circumcise him when he was a toddler using a device meant for adults (he had a painful infection, and the circumcision was part of the treatment).

His life was totally screwed up-- he is one of the most famously screwed over people in the Western world: he was raised as a girl for 12 years, teased and bullied because he was a not-so-successful girl; he had vaginoplasty and hormone treatment, and sessions with an unethical and if you ask me, perverted, psychotherapist named John Money, who made him simulate sex acts with his twin brother.

The guy was very angry at Money, and at the doctors who mutilated him, and had a lot of self-loathing, because of the years of bullying, and his body-image issues. He died a suicide.

However, he did not hate women. Of all the places where he could have focused his rage, he did not level it at women. If penile deformity or mutilation caused people to become serial killers, you'd think this guy would have left a trail of bodies, and he didn't.

Furthermore, I don't think an unusually high percentage of serial killers have had anything at all wrong with their penises. In fact, I can't recall reading that about any single one. I don't think it's even common for them to have psychogenic impotence.

So, putting aside for a moment the fact that we really have no evidence that Sickert had anything wrong with his penis (he may have had a condition where the foreskin did not release on its own in early childhood, and had to be surgically released, or he was circumcised for an infection caused by the condition, but that is not uncommon, and a relatively simple procedure). Google "Phimosis," but don't do it at work, or on a public computer.

If Sickert was a serial killer because he had a weird penis, then he was unusual in this regard, and I'd like to hear it from him first.

Comment

Hi Riva, thanks for that interesting post. It's generally regarded as fact that Sickert's fistula was anal and not penal and not only did his plumage work, but he was quite the ladies man.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Riva, thanks for that interesting post. It's generally regarded as fact that Sickert's fistula was anal and not penal and not only did his plumage work, but he was quite the ladies man.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
              I believe penile is the word that you are looking for or for which you are looking so the sentence doesn't end in a preposition.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                I believe penile is the word that you are looking for or for which you are looking so the sentence doesn't end in a preposition.

c.d.
                Oh, don't be so anile, ceeds.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

G'Day all

On Penal v Penile I once saw a report from a Barrister to his instructing Solicitor that indicated that the rapist client had been sentenced to Penile Servitude for four years six months, I could name the Barrister but it would embarrass the poor old bloke.

GUT
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Oh, don't be so anile, ceeds.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                    Always happy to help out with your penis problems, Tom....unless it involves...uh...you know.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                      Always happy to help out with your penis problems, Tom....unless it involves...uh...you know.

c.d.
                      Glad to know you're always willing to lend a hand. I just hope such generosity doesn't blow up in your face one day.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Seems to me that the thread title is really an oxymoron....akin to Jumbo Shrimp.

Anyone ever read a suspect based book that answered your questions?

Cheers
                        Michael Richards

Comment

G'Day Michael

NO!!!!!!!!!!
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I'll tell you what...you get Michael Richards to buy just one and I'll get all three! I just sent you the e-mail. It's a funny version of Gangham Style I made starring George Chapman.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                            Many thanks for the all-dancing, all-singing George Chapman. His head looks a bit big, but then I guess he was a big head!

Who is Michael Richards? How do I contact him?

Helena
                            Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Many thanks for the all-dancing, all-singing George Chapman. His head looks a bit big, but then I guess he was a big head!

Who is Michael Richards? How do I contact him?

Helena
                              Hi Helena,

Toms comments are essentially about the probability of me buying a suspect based book at this point in time...I assume. I admit they are slim indeed.

My comments relate to the belief that when discussing the alleged "Ripper Crimes"...(5 murders by the same lone man, the Canonical Group),...that there has been no legitimate Subject profiled as the probable culprit for those crimes. There isnt a shred of physical evidence known to exist that would link anyone to any one of the murders, let alone one person to all 5.

Yes, one could use names bandied about in internal memos or the press, or you could narrow the search for one using the proclaimed ethnic profile of the man created by an contemporary investigator, but when you have a senior man associated with the crimes listing 3 men as Primary Suspects without any evidence at all,...(one purely on hearsay, and one that it turns out was actually in jail for robbery at the time),....you have to question if the contemporary police had any sound ideas about what happened that Fall, and what really constitutes a "Primary Suspect" designation.

I personally believe that what Ripperology needs to do is review what many of their preconceptions are actually based upon, in terms of evidence. There isnt enough evidence to create a Canonical Group, let alone affirm a belief in one,.... there is no legitimate list of "Suspects" because no-one has ever been found to have any links with any assumed Ripper murder, ...and there is evidence that within the "Group" a select few of the murders bear remarkable similarities to each other.

Thats why Ill stick to the "dry" facts as they are known, and as they become available, with the modern research efforts ongoing.

I think the story about what happened that Fall involves a killer that strangled, then slit throats, and then mutilated some Unfortunates within a single square mile of the East End in the LVP, and that those unsolved murder cases, 2 or 3 killings, intersected with other unsolved murder cases.....with motives that have yet to be discovered, but likely having more to do with dangerous politics and personal relationships than psychosis.

I mean no disrespect to you or anyone else who engages in Suspect speculation Helena....see Ive only been studying for a few decades now, so Im still at the stage where all the murders are just Unsolved.

Warm regards
                              Michael Richards

Comment

G'Day Richard

I'm still at the stage where all the murders are just Unsolved.
                                And 125 years later ill always remain so, after all it's been solved more times than I can count in the last 30 or so years [I've seen the books that say so] but that's part of the fun.
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X