X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gatton murders

Originally posted by dougie View Post
    stan
    thanks ,yeah the gatton mystery, it might have been you who enlightened me first time....i think its fascinating case ,cant really seem to find much about it ,other than that "gatton mystery" book. not sure about the movie, but if they didnt make one-they should.
    regards
    Hi. No movie has been made about the murders but it would be fascinating. Only 2 books I'm aware of. One was printed in the early 80's or late 70's by 2 brothers one of whom was a barrister. Cant' think of the name of it or them. They finger the butcher's man who read Reinzi, was living close to the murders and who was named by a boy driving past.

I always thought that was pretty much it.

But Stephanie Bennett wrote a book called "the Gatton Murders" MacMillan 2004 and she has done a lot of really good digging into the social mores of the time and the town but i can't agree with her conclusion.

I've been to the Murphy siblings' graves a few times and am related quite a few times back to some of the players in the story. The horror and shock has never gone away even after over a century.

There are a lot of people who would really like to know who done it.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by detective abberline View Post
      Hi. No movie has been made about the murders but it would be fascinating. Only 2 books I'm aware of. One was printed in the early 80's or late 70's by 2 brothers one of whom was a barrister. Cant' think of the name of it or them. They finger the butcher's man who read Reinzi, was living close to the murders and who was named by a boy driving past.

I always thought that was pretty much it.

But Stephanie Bennett wrote a book called "the Gatton Murders" MacMillan 2004 and she has done a lot of really good digging into the social mores of the time and the town but i can't agree with her conclusion.

I've been to the Murphy siblings' graves a few times and am related quite a few times back to some of the players in the story. The horror and shock has never gone away even after over a century.

There are a lot of people who would really like to know who done it.

Cheers

Am i remembering correctly that the father was named as a suspect at one time?
      interesting that youve visited the graves, did you visit the murder site...and if so is it much as it was back then,or built over or whatever?
      regards

Comment

I wrote a little about the case in a magazine article 6 years back. There was some suspicion that more than one perpetrator was involved if I recall. There was also a report that the young man who died had very recently engaged in some sort of sexual activity which sounds rather mysterious. Was he forced to do something or had he been caught doing something?
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

P.S.

Maybe this should be another thread, however:

Yes, some have tried to point the finger at the father. You also have the other sibling who, for whatever reason, decided not to ride home with the ill-fated three after the aborted party. And what about a canceled Boxing Day party? That sounds a little funny too. Also, why was the horse killed as well? So many questions
          Last edited by sdreid; 03-04-2008, 04:45 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

Bela Kiss is an interesting choice because it's really only officially unsolved. There's virtually no doubt that he was guilty. The biggest mystery is how did he elude justice.

Stan Reid

Comment

quote: There's virtually no doubt that he was guilty,

Mmh, Bela Kiss was never captured and put on trial - and Bela in New York is pure speculation - more often than we like to think about crime does pay... - at least Bela died sometime, unharmed... - it seems that he was clever, very clever - and lucky...

kind regards and good night

Paul O'Henry

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.

Nelson Mandela

Comment

Daytona Beach has got me thinking...but I've already put my profile on the site *he boasts*.

Comment

ear dkk ons

I am coming out of my closet after 31 years of being scared to tell my story I will find every chat forum every blog every where until the dectectives call me and tell me that I have the wrong guy. First off I will not tell my name nor will I tell you the suspects full name. This starts for me back in 77 I was eight my friend and I told our parents we were going to spend the night at each others house that meant we were free to wonder the world. "I also want to throw in, this is a true story it really happened to my friend and I" any how back to the story we were riding our bikes on the streets of fair oaks california as we went down the street we decided to cut thru the elementry school the name of the school is called Dewey elementry. As we got to the other side of the school we came to the street called eagle it was a dead end street and at the end of the street which is where we started we looked over to the left as we rode by on our schwin candy apple red bikes we saw this person in a ski mask we kept riding on and stopped about three hundred feet past the EAR we looked at each other and said that is the east area rapist, my friend said lets go back so we did. As we got to this guy we yelled your the rapist over and over a few times then all of the sudden my friend said go run hurry he is coming after us. This guy came running after us I was laughing at first but then my friend said he got into a car and my friend said go he's in a car that scared the Hell out of us, all i remember is riding faster and faster as we got to the other end of eagle we truned left onto cardinal now we were heading west down the street toward Del campo high and our homes. as we got to the corner of cardnial and ashfield way thats where the EAR caught my friend. He told me to get the F back over here he took his mask off and said to me you hold both bikes then he said with his arm around my friends neck you know who I am and I know you two are , if you tell anyone who I am i will kill you little F****. There is more to the story but I will wait. His first name is STEVE and he lived in fair oaks for three to four more years. Steve you know who I am and your an old guy now and I am not afraid of you anymore its time for you to come out and pay for your actions your a killer and a rapist. Your also nothing more than a thug and if you were young now doing the same things you were doing back then you would be BUSTED. there is so much more to tell about you but I will wait.

PS how does it feel to be hunted EAR/ONS/DKK . You can call me the EAR-Hunter see you at the trial of the orange county killings.

Comment

Gatton Murders 1898

Hi. You name them they were mentioned as the killer/s.( Father, brother/s weirdo Catholic let's do them all why I don't know); brother-in-law, Rienzi reading butcher's man, gang of 10......20 because slain man was a philanderer and besmircher of good girls. It's a as big a mystery here as Jack was in London. Same families live in the area. The large gravestone is well cared for in the cemetery. Who done it?

Cheers

Comment

This is London magazine has been established for over 65 years, providing readers with information about events, exhibitions, music, concerts, theatre and dining. As life returns to normal, Londoners are heading back into the Capital and many visitors are already coming from further afield.

Now THIS is interesting...

Comment

Unsolved nonJtR serial killer cases

Here are a couple of others for you.
                        The Villaseca Axe Murders in Villaseca ,Iowa which happend in the 1900s .A whole family was murdered by an axe as well as a friend or two of the family's
                        children. Millers Parnaromal and several other groups have done ghost investigations there,and if you Google the case,there is information on several possible suspects,but no one has really ever been convicted of the crime which is still a mystery.
                        The Servant Girl Annilahtor of Austin,Texas,who killed several domestic servants in the 1880s or 90s and was never caught.
                        There was an axe murder of a family in Giddings,Texas,around the same time period who was never caught.Whether there was a connection,who knows.But the website,www.texasescapes.com has information on various towns.If in the search you type in Giddings,they have a history of the town,and a photo of people standing in front of the home of the murder victims.

Still early,so my brain is a bit foggy,but I'll think of some others sooner or later.
                        Yes,I've heard of the AxeMan of New Orleans and the Kingsbury Run Killer.
                        Thanks,I'll have to look up the Alphabet Murders,don't recall anything about it right now.
                        And yes,it was supposed to be a movie on tv,but not sure when it was shown.

Comment

I've always found the Lake Bodom murders quite interesting (although it's more of a mass murder than a serial killing)
                          “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Welcome Holly,

Yes, the servant girl murders are very interesting and Ripper related in a fashion.

Villisca gets mentioned as possibly some of suspected serial killer Henry Moore's murders. I think it's mentioned on the non-serial killer mystery thread.

Thanks for the other information.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Magpie,

True! I remember discussing that one on a similar pre-crash thread.

Stan Reid

Comment

That's right Stan

It's one of those "officially still open, but we're pretty sure who did it" kind of cases, like Bob Crane etc.
                                “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Working...
                                X