Cursed objects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cursed objects?

Do you think inanimate objects can be evil or cursed?

I guess it depends on your definition but heres three that at the very least are bad luck:

Amityville horror house
    James deans porsche
    The hope diamond

Thoughts? Comments? Any others??
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Madden NFL 99

Comment

Originally posted by APerno View Post
      Madden NFL 99
      And most British automobiles.

I had a tea-kettle that was cursed. It started two fires and eventually melted into a silver blob while I went down to the beach.

Comment

Not sure about inanimate objects can be bewitched, but I once had a tadpole that was turned into a frog.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
          Not sure about inanimate objects can be bewitched, but I once had a tadpole that was turned into a frog.
          Good one Sam! Reminds of one of the word illustrations used by Ambrose Bierce in "The Devil's Dictionary", to the effect that he once saw a grown man emerge from a cellar door!

Abby, personally I really am skeptical about cursed objects, although the Hope Diamond's history is somewhat known to me, as well as that fatal Porsche of Mr. Dean. I once had to write an article about the DeFeo Family Massacre at the Amityville House, and the so-called "Curse" (perhaps more accurately a set of poltergeists) and I ended up feeling it was a tremendous set of lies. Due to my feelings regarding it (and that hidden in the details was evidence of the theft of a large sum of money supposedly lost to the house's ill - spirits), I concluded it was a pack of lies meant to sell a book (which it did - and several movies based on it). The house is still standing and inhabited for many years by a new family in Amityville. Hardly possible if such an overpoweringly evil curse was on it.

Jeff

Comment

I thought the Amityville Horror was exposed as a fake with one of its participants coming forward and admitting they conjured (pun intended) the entire story for money.

I almost got conned into going to a lecture back in late 70s but fortunately I backed off at the last minute and saved a few bucks.

I heard it was a multi media presentation, like Beetle Mania, and I wanted to see the show. Back then multi media consisted of a series of slide projectors

The DeFeo family? -- Doesn't that translate to: "From Ugly" ?

What about the Saratoga Curse (The August Graveyard Myth)?

Man 'O War; Secretariat; Seattle Slew; Affirmed; American Pharoah, and others, all got beat by lesser horses.

This year's Triple Crown winner Justify didn't appear at Saratoga, some say (the owner) that it was a swollen ankle, others say he didn't want a repeat of the curse (he also owned American Pharoah.)

Seems the only curses I know are sporting events.

Comment

"Do you think inanimate objects can be evil or cursed?"
              Although not an inanimate object - more a location - What about Miller's Court? three murders in three rooms (13, 19 & 12)? Perhaps a curse on the court?
              JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
              JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
              ---------------------------------------------------
              JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website
              ---------------------------------------------------

Comment

Or maybe just Dorset Street probability.

Comment

Can't say I believe in curses, but I still wouldn't want to own, say, JTR's knife.

Comment

And look at what just discussing this has done to everyone's hair.

Comment

- Abby Normal -

Do you think inanimate objects can be evil or cursed?

I guess it depends on your definition but heres three that at the very least are bad luck:

Amityville horror house
                      James deans porsche
                      The hope diamond

Thoughts? Comments? Any others??
                      Hi Abby - I do not think objects or people can be cursed in any supernatural sense. However, the knowledge of the existence of a curse can contribute to a self fulfilling prophecy. I believe it is thought voodoo can have physical effects on 'victims' because of their belief in its power - but only if they know they are to be a victim.

The placebo and nocebo effects are well known and proof of this phenomenon.

Comment

I think it's pretty well known that inanimate objects hate us, and will try to embarrass, maim or even kill us at every opportunity
                        “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
                          I think it's pretty well known that inanimate objects hate us, and will try to embarrass, maim or even kill us at every opportunity
                          Have you been going at it with the toaster again? Next time try to be the bigger person and just walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
                            Lol! My wifes hair dryer for sure. That thing is the bane of my existance
                            "Is all that we see or seem
                            but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                            quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Never ever try to Hoover the stairs.

Comment

Working...
                              X