Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What actor does this Roman bust look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What actor does this Roman bust look like?

I'm thinking an English actor from one of the older movies, perhaps 1950s or 1960s? Even 1970s. Maybe a period film, Roman, or an intrigue thing?

Ahh, what a face though, a man's man.

Btw, this is actually Vergilius - Marble, Late 1st c. BC-early 2nd c. CE, Museo Gregoriano Profano ,Roma.
    Attached Files

Sid Ceasar maybe.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

On the left - Prince Charles.

On the right - Frank Finlay :

Tributes from peers and admirers are pouring in today for celebrated English stage, screen and television actor Frank Finlay, who died this weekend in his Weybridge, Surrey home from heart failure following a short illness. He was 89. “We are very saddened to announce that Frank died today 30 January 2016 at home surrounded by […]

Comment

It's Pierre.

Comment

I thought he looked somewhere between Ralph Richardson and Michael Hordern, but Frank Findlay's also a good shout

Comment

The one on the right sort of reminds me of Benedict Cumberbatch.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
              I'm thinking an English actor from one of the older movies, perhaps 1950s or 1960s? Even 1970s. Maybe a period film, Roman, or an intrigue thing?

Ahh, what a face though, a man's man.

Btw, this is actually Vergilius - Marble, Late 1st c. BC-early 2nd c. CE, Museo Gregoriano Profano ,Roma.
              Granted, quite a face (would not like to face a centurian or Roman legionaire in a fight with that face - he'd mean business!).

I can think of two who kind-of look like him. David Farrar, who played many roles as a hard adventurer or soldier (I saw him as a British naval officer in "The Sea Chase" the other day, and he was the local British resident in the Himilayan (spelling?) kingdom in "Black Narcissus" who is dubious about the Nuns' mission to the kingdom); Leo Genn, who played fairly charming people in many films, but did dramatic parts (one of the doctors involved in the murder case in "Green is For Danger, with Alistair Sim and Trevor Howard), and did appear as a Roman patrician in "Quo Vadis" as the writer and social critic (and Nero's temporary friend) Petronius Arbiter.

Jeff
              Last edited by Mayerling; 07-16-2016, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                It's Pierre.
                It might be. Pierre possibly thinks he knows how to be the world's greatest movie actor.

Comment

It's Nigel Hawthorne!!!

Steadmund Brand
                  "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

It's good to see a consensus has been reached!

Comment

Frank Finlay is a good guess, IMO, and there's always Robert ["Awwwwwr"] Newton.

Comment

Is it just me or does he look a little like the 4th Doctor?
                        The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Well, if it's true that a sculpture never lies, then.....nope.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Great choices, looking up all of them but it's not so far. Driving me crazy. The Roman face really is repeated down the ages. Fascinating. Patrick Stewart as Sejanus (I Claudius) was a thought, but nope.

Btw, Trevor Howard always reminded me of Hugh Hefner, when both were young.

Comment

Well, we know it's not Robert Morley or Wilfred Hyde-White or James Robinson Justice. Someone will guess it.

And Robert Newton said "Arrrgh" in "Blackbeard".

Comment

Working...
                              X