Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the IQ of Jack?!

Hello you all!

If I knew, how to make a poll out of this, I would make it! (So, my tecnhical IQ is pure )

Thinking about the following criminal minds - among others - have this thing in common; Frank Morris, Robert Stroud (the most famous inhabitants of Alcatraz after Al Capone), Charles Manson (The Sharon Tate murders), Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy (notorius serial killers), etc.

So, do you think, that JtR fits with these criminals with his IQ?!

All the best
    Jukka
    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Hi Jukka,

What an interesting thought!

I am not sure whether you are suggesting that the killers you listed had a higher or lower than avergae IQ (although I think you mean higher) but I would say that some serial killers have a higher than average IQs but are often under-achievers and poor scholars.

I would say that JtR's IQ would have been slightly higher than average but that does not mean that he was in a skilled trade or profession.

During Jack's day, IQ mattered little in terms of educational equality but certainly counted if you had to survive on the streets. At the time, little was known about what we call 'intelligence' and IQ tests as such were not available at the time of the Ripper murders. A chap called Francis Galton started the ball rolling and his work was extended and developed by his student, James Catell.

Traditional IQ tests are frowned on nowadays as it is realised that there are different types of intelligence and traditional ways of thinking about intelligence are not always helpful in delivering the right kind of learning to suit the person. Indeed, not everyone who is 'clever' in the traditional sense achieves their potential because it very much depends on who decides what that potential should include and how it should be measured.

Limehouse

Comment

IQ140 would be my guess
      Living the Dream!

Comment

What was jacks IQ? seems a question pretty much along the same lines as the "would we have liked mary kelly? george lusk? abberline?" threads which raised its head some while ago unanswerable and even if answered what would it matter? how intelligent would one have to be to kill 5 old tarts in 1888 whitechapel? IQ of an orange would have sufficed methinks

Comment

That's a lot higher than average. Average is around 100. I would say Jack's IQ would not have exceeded 120.

Also, we have to remember that intelligence potential can be affected by things such as poor diet.

Whilst I don't think that JtR would have needed a very high IQ, I don't think its likely that his/her IQ was low either, certainly not lower than say 90.

Comment

The question is could he spell "canonical" and use it in a sentence.

c.d.

Comment

I don't think I believe in IQs but I would guess that his IQ, if he had one, was higher than that of many of the country's MPs at that time - or now.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                I don't think I believe in IQs but I would guess that his IQ, if he had one, was higher than that of many of the country's MPs at that time - or now.
                Right on Robert! Exactly what I was thinking myself.

Comment

Nats, I just read your response, then noticed that you were online, then noticed that I was offline! How can I be offline if I'm online to notice it? Or do I have a low IQ?

Edit - I'm online now.

I must go in and out of existence somehow. Bit worrying for me.

Comment

The assassin strikes
                    Blade dividing still-warm flesh;
                    Cold stones blush and weep.

(The haiku of Jack)
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      The assassin strikes
                      Blade dividing still-warm flesh;
                      Cold stones blush and weep.

(The haiku of Jack)
                      Bloody good Sam!

Comment

Silence fills her head
                        Horror strikes old Plod
                        Morris spills his tea

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                          Morris spills his tea
                          ↑↑↑↑
                          ...the "Ty-Phoo" of Jack
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                            ↑↑↑↑
                            ...the "Ty-Phoo" of Jack
                            sheer genius!

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post

Also, we have to remember that intelligence potential can be affected by things such as poor diet.
                              Hi Limehouse,

I'd have to ask when and where this was determined. In the UK today, for instance, it could be argued that it's intelligence that dictates whether we stuff our faces with crisps and doughnuts or spend the same money or less on a mountain of fresh veg. So I'm not sure how one would go about proving the reverse effect, ie that the crisps and doughnuts can adversely affect intelligence.

Love,

Caz
                              X
                              "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                              X