You may now cast your vote please, - Roy
    James Maybrick
    11.43%
    A modern forger
    62.86%
    An old forger
    25.71%
    Sink the Bismark

The Diary supporters are a little short-handed with one suspended and others non-active.

Comment

The old forgery theory doesn't have much support as yet .
      allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

G'day all

I voted old forgery.

Mainly because I really believe n gong where the evidence leads me, if I like it or not, and the nk analysis says, 1920 + 12 years [ or was it 8]. I think the only reasons to support modern are the "confession" [which talking to people that know say couldn't be true] and and some feeling that ther5e is information that wasn't known in the past and that is just intellectual snobbery, we only have a minute fraction of the material that was known in 88 and say 30 years later.

A forger in 1918 could have as a 20 year old followed the murders closely and have scrapbooks chock a block of information and a head full of even more information that those of us here, almost 100 years later, may never know of.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
          G'day all

I voted old forgery.

Mainly because I really believe n gong where the evidence leads me, if I like it or not, and the nk analysis says, 1920 + 12 years [ or was it 8]. I think the only reasons to support modern are the "confession" [which talking to people that know say couldn't be true] and and some feeling that ther5e is information that wasn't known in the past and that is just intellectual snobbery, we only have a minute fraction of the material that was known in 88 and say 30 years later.

A forger in 1918 could have as a 20 year old followed the murders closely and have scrapbooks chock a block of information and a head full of even more information that those of us here, almost 100 years later, may never know of.
          Hi gut,snap I've gone for old forgery purely because if I go for modern forgery it would mean Mr Barrett would have to have a hand in creating it which in my personal opinion is impossible.
          Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

G'day Pink

for modern forgery it would mean Mr Barrett would have to have a hand in creating it which in my personal opinion is impossible.
            If I didn't have the opinions of people who had met MrB I may be more likely to accept him having something to do with it, but as I said the evidence leads me the other way. If anyone can provide an analysis of the Ink that shows a date in the 1890's I will reconsider my position, but even then it would still only point to an old creation, and not enough IMHO to prove Maybrick, without more.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

G'day Pink

If I didn't have the opinions of people who had met MrB I may be more likely to accept him having something to do with it, but as I said the evidence leads me the other way. If anyone can provide an analysis of the Ink that shows a date in the 1890's I will reconsider my position, but even then it would still only point to an old creation, and not enough IMHO to prove Maybrick, without more.

Hi gut,if the people who discoverd the diary had told the truth about its history and if the author of the diary had not claimed authorship of the ripper letters I would give it a chance.
              Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Only if the ink didn't date to 1908 at the earliest, on the testing that has been done.
                G U T

Comment

Only if the ink didn't date to 1908 at the earliest, on the testing that has been done.
                  The results of the ion migration test are considered to be of limited reliability even by the hoax theorists.

This quote from the dissertation of Melvin Harris:

...This attempt to date the Diary ink was made by Roderick McNeil of Polson, Monatana. Using a technique known as 'scaning auger microscopy', McNeil asserts that he can measure the migration of tiny particles in the ink and from those measurements, calculate the time the ink has been on paper. Now, ion-migration tests have been used for over sixty years by document examiners, but no one except McNeil has ever claimed that such tests could be refined to provide accurate dating. Such tests have simply been used to determine the difference in age between two writings supposed to have been created at the same time and under the same conditions.

McNeil was given a chance to date the Diary ink by the Rendell examining body, since he made great claims for his 'perfected tests'. He calculated its date as 1921, plus or minus twelve years, a date that was in clear conflict with earlier tests and with the textual evidence which showed it to be a recent concoction.
                  http://www.casebook.org/dissertation.../factfile.html

Comment

Originally posted by MayBea View Post
                    The results of the ion migration test are considered to be of limited reliability even by the hoax theorists.

This quote from the dissertation of Melvin Harris:

http://www.casebook.org/dissertation.../factfile.html
                    Hi maybe ,I'm pretty sure that the diary came out of battlecrease shortly before it was launched on us in what form I'm undecided.

Comment

G'day MayBea

I'm fully aware of the earlier tests and I really wouldn't argue with a more recent forgery. To be honest the only reason voted old forgery was because that was the furthest back I could take it.
                      G U T

Comment

Also the poll says "Old forger" and I don't think whoever forged it was young.
                        G U T

Comment

There should be a fourth choice:

Undecided

The Undecideds would fall into the document is old category.

Comment

Originally posted by MayBea View Post
                            There should be a fourth choice:

Undecided

The Undecideds would fall into the document is old category.
                            I used to be indecisive now im just not sure
                            Last edited by pinkmoon; 03-01-2014, 12:15 PM. Reason: too much cider

Comment

Come on everyone vote!If you don't vote you can't moan about the diary.

Comment

Working...
                              X