Aerial view of Mitre Square today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerial view of Mitre Square today?

Hello, I'm new to the Casebook. Since I live in Memphis, Tennessee, I was using Google Earth to view some of the JTR sites. Can somebody check out the aerial view of Mitre Square and tell me what I am seeing? (If you don't have Google Earth, Google Maps works almost as well.) The irregular outline of the original "square" as it's been depicted on old maps and diagrams seems to have survived, since it's visible from the air, but what is immediately east of it (right next to that blue car parked in the square itself)? Is that the roof of a building, or is that open space? In other words, what is now right next to what is usually called the "Jack the Ripper Corner" in the southeast corner? The image is just too dark to tell. If somebody familiar with this site can "walk" me around it, that would be much appreciated. I took a JTR tour some 15 years ago, but it was nighttime and though we visited Mitre Square I couldn't really tell what surrounded it. Many thanks, Michael

According to flashearth.com and maps.live.com there's a fence and a parking lot facing the blue car. To the southwest is the roof of a building. Hope that helps.
    "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	mitre.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	653280

1: Flower bed
      2: School yard / Parking (open space anyway) behind wall/fence (white line)
      3: Parking space behind low wall

see photos of today's Mitre Sq.

Hope this helps

Christian

Comment

These may help.

This is "Ripper corner" with the red area being where Catherine Eddowes was found. It is the work of Colin Roberts (Septic Blue).

Name:	Mitre sq murder spot.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	653281

These last two were taken by me in 2005. The first is a view from Mitre Street into the Square (shooting east). Your blue car is parked near the bollards.

Name:	Mitre Street east view sq.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	653282

Here is a shot looking south from Mitre Passage to the spot where Eddowes was found. Your blue vehicle is left of mine.

Name:	Ripper corner.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	653283

Cheers,

Robert

Comment

Robert,

I love the image merge on the first shot showing rippers corner.

It is such a small square in reality, but is oozing menace, and not somewere I would want to be at night.
          Regards Mike

Comment

Colin does great work with his aerial mapping. I haven't looked lately but I'm sure a lot of it was wiped out with the recent crash. If it was, I'm sure we would like to see you put it back up when you have the time, Colin. If it wasn't, maybe someone could post a link.

I agree Mike, lots of atmosphere. Could you image how much more menacing it would have been in 1888 when the buildings were taking up more of the pavement and Church Passage (now St. James Passage) was only a narrow covered entrance rather than the wide open entry of today.

I had to wait quite a while until there were no vehicles or people to get the empty shot from Mitre Street!!!

Cheers,

Comment

Tis small Mike,

If anyone happens to pass through the square from Duke Street take a line next to the school, where the benches are.

You will find the orignal 'footprint' in the paving of what once was Church Passage. And you will note how narrow it was.

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

When I was there a couple of cars were parked up, one with a lady sat in it, watching my every move!!

I tried to imagine the height of the buildings around the Square and it must have been scary during the day, nevermind the night!

I walked into the square via Mitre Street, then sat on the bench, before taking some pictures. A local pub was seen and heard opposite, but other than that it was quite and atmospheric.

I left via what was Church Passage, but will be back in the next year, hopefully to do one of Phillips tours!!

Regards Mike

Comment

Mike,

When youre there next time, and if you are not on a shedule, re step Watkins beat.

Ive done it a few times and averaged 12 minutes. Its fascinating to pass along church of St Katherine Cree, see what he saw.

Monty
                  Monty

Comment

I am hoping to take the wife next time, sort of a romantic break!!
                    Last time I was pushed for time because I had appointments in Islington and Royal London Hospital Archives, so i spent a lot of time in taxis!!

I loved George Yard too, great area but really dark, and ominous!!

As I got to Bucks Row, the school was chucking out, so there were kids walking all over the crime scene, giving it lip!!
                    Regards Mike

Comment

Mike,

Swallow Gardens and Pinchin Street are very atmospheric.

Mitre Square fascinates me, as most here will testify. However, the lesser visited places like the mortuary sites and the back of the Wentworth Dwellings really do give u a sense of the time.

Monty
                      Monty

Comment

I also visited Lemen Street, purely because I was looking for a decent sandwhich shop!! I took some pics of RDS "Alleged" bolthole!!
                        Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by RJM View Post
                          This is "Ripper corner" with the red area being where Catherine Eddowes was found. It is the work of Colin Roberts (Septic Blue).

Cheers,

Robert
                          Damn! 120 years and the answer was right under our noses all the time. You think you know someone...

Mike - you've seen the place, we've MET the Leman Street Nutter. And you wonder why a woman in a car was giving the evil to a single man with a camera hanging around outside a school about the time they chuck out?

PHILIP
                          Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

VERY helpful. Thanks to all!

Many thanks, Gents, for the information and images. This was much better than I expected. As I said, I had been there at night, and couldn't see my surroundings very well, but got the impression it was still a rather closed-in square. This was in 1993. But it's clearly a wide-open space, and doesn't resemble in any way, really, the original square. Isn't it strange, though, how the curbing (though it looks new in these photos) matches the outlines of the original square. Is it possible that it is the original curbing and cobblestones, which somehow survived despite the demolition of practically all the old buildings that once faced the square? And I agree with the rest of you. Despite the pretty flower beds and new buildings, there is something indelibly "dark" about the place. It must be strange to sit on that bench, at night, and think, "Right here, on this very spot . . ."

Comment

TrapDoorSpider,

Well, not on that very spot, but close.

Monty
                              Monty

Comment

Working...
                              X