Mitre Square Measurements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitre Square Measurements

I was wondering if I could get some help on this angle. I'm making a scale model of Mitre Square for my film and I remember the 3d Model that someone had made on the old forums before it crashed, and I was just curious as to if anyone has any idea where I could get the blueprints for the buildings and if there is even any measurements that I could use.

Regards,
    Justin
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. - Edgar Allan Poe

Hi Justin,

You might start with Frederick Foster's scale drawing of the Square, which you may find here.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Sam,

thank's. I actually got that covered for the time being. I have a large pull out of that from a collection of repro's of original documents,etc from Keith Skinner and Stewart Evans. Quite helpful since there's a measurement key in the top left corner .

Also I remember Jake L doing the computer generated scans of the square itself and I plan on inquiring about those as well.

Regards,
      Justin
      They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Originally posted by Jdombrowski89 View Post
        Quite helpful since there's a measurement key in the top left corner
        ...as ever, it's all a matter of scale
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Mitre Square

Width of Mitre Street entrance - 25 feet
          Depth from back of Williams & Co to Kearley and Tonge (North side) - 72 feet
          Width from police house to gate in "Ripper's Corner" - 70 feet
          Width from Kearley and Tonge (West side) to eastern edge - 75 feet
          Width of Church Passage - 5 feet
          Distance from door of Kearley and Tonge (west side) to Eddowes's body - 70 feet
          Frontage of police house - 12 feet
          Frontage of "old empty house" - 12 feet
          Frontage of K & T (west side) - 57 feet
          Width of Taylor's shop - 11 feet
          Width of empty house at back of which Eddowes was found - 13 feet
          Width of yard and passage in "Ripper's Corner" - 23 feet

Comment

Thanks, Chris.

Comment

Justin,

The measurements in Forsters plan would seem to be out slightly. Jake discovered this whilst he was working on his images for our article and Gavin Bromley also found this discrepancy, independantly I add. Gavin included it in one of his articles, I cant remember which now so do forgive me.

Basically from Rippers Corner to Church Passage (Inc Horner & Co) the Goads fire Map (and I think the OS map as well) is around 5 ft shorter than Fosters. This may be down to the angle of Kearley & Tonge Warehouse/Counting House being out. Or the possibility Foster worked off an older, incorrect map (as he did so with regards the Goulston Street plan, which is plain to see).

Anyway, for information.

The Free standing lamp outside Kearly & Tonge Warehouse to Eddowes body - 65ft

The lamp in Church passage to Eddowes body - 67ft

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Monty,

If the measurements in Fosters plans are a little bit off, then which are the correct measurements? Judging from the look of the buildings Jake was able to put together the measuring of the bricks in the buildings (At least on Taylors house on the corner) seemed to be a bit wider than the map by Foster. Is there still a possible way to find out the correct measurements then?

The only other hard part in doing this process now is determing the height and width of the buildings, and by looking at Fosters map it seems accurate but I'd rather be double sure on the precise measurements.

Regards,
                Justin

Comment

Working...
                X