Victim solitary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan Norder View Post
    Considering her lack of funds, being arrested by the police for being so drunk to cause a public nuisance (whether fire engine impersonation was part of it or not) sounds to me more like evidence that she had been successfully soliciting already than that she was too busy to be hooking. Booze wasn't free.

She clearly did something to attract attention to herself that day, and it could easily have been something as mundane as soliciting. She could also have been 'creating a nuisance' in almost any way, really, depending on how sloshed she was. Apparently, she was pretty sloshed. She found the money for booze, and it might not all have come from pawning things.

Still, Dan, people like to cut her some slack. I guess that's why the romanticizing of the victims, that some people see, emerges sometimes.
    "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Maybe she just found men who'd buy her drinks. Those sorts are out every night.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
        Maybe she just found men who'd buy her drinks. Those sorts are out every night.

This is true. It could have happened this way. In that case, maybe the ruckus she's reputed to have raised was because he quit wanting to buy her drinks and she put up a fuss about that.
        "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
          I put the most provocative assertions first of course.

As for Eddowes being a prostitute, it was never proven as far as I know. If she was, I wonder why she was flopping around on the sidewalk pretending to be a fire engine instead of soliciting. That might be apocryphal but the cops didn't bring her in for hooking.

Stride was the only one to be killed south of Whitechapel Road.

Comment

Nichols-The only victim found by two men (strangely, none of the victims were found by women)

Chapman-The only victim who was indoors with the killer and then went outdoors to be killed (apparently)

Stride-The only victim to have, along with her husband, operated a business establishment

Eddowes-The only victim to have police ties (possibly)

Kelly-The only victim for whom there is some doubt about her identity

Stan Reid

Comment

Nichols-The only victim who was married when slain (as far as can be proven)

Chapman-The only victim who was robbed by her killer (that is, if he took her rings)

Stride-The only multilingual victim

Eddowes-The only victim killed within City Police jurisdiction

Kelly-The only victim who had a permanent residence

Stan Reid

Comment

Nichols: By far the furthest East site, and the only victim that we have testimony was "discovered" twice.

Chapman: The only victim with a complete uterus taken.

Stride: The only victim that we have medical testimony for that indicates the killer had time left to commit more mutilations but didnt.

Eddowes: The only victim that uses two variations of the subsequent Ripper victims name, and one of her address, in her last 24 hours.

Kelly: The only victim that didnt have to pay for her bed the night she dies.

Cheers Stan.

Comment

Nichols-The only victim not last seen with a man near the murder scene

Chapman-The only victim killed on a Saturday

Stride-The only victim with a close relative on the police force (Aunt Liz to PC Walter Stride)

Eddowes-The only victim with pattern mutilation (The Vs)

Kelly-The only victim not fully clothed

Stan Reid

Comment

Nichols - the only victim whose mutilations weren't noticed at the time
                    Chapman - the only victim who would probably have died soon anyway
                    Stride - the only victim who we know had VD (discounting McKenzie)
                    Eddowes - the only victim who'd just been released from police custody
                    Kelly - the only victim who may have been related to her landlord

Comment

Hello you all!

Polly Nicholls - the most overshadowed victim of the C5
                      Annie Chapman - the only victim with remaining photos while alive
                      Elizabeth Stride - the only Scandinavian originating victim
                      Catherine Eddowes - the most sharp-tongued victim
                      Mary Jane Kelly - the only victim, who managed to hide her backround

All the best
                      Jukka
                      "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

And none of them with links to the Beatles.

Comment

Nichols-The only victim where decapitation appeared to be the main focus of the killer

Chapman-The only victim who was apparently searched by the killer as if he was looking for something

Stride-The only victim found holding something in her hand

Eddowes-The only victim first discovered by a policeman

Kelly-The only victim who'd actually heard the name Jack the Ripper

Stan Reid

Comment

Outside of perhaps Stride, and unless you espouse the position that the murders were all committed by different individuals, why are we focusing on differences?

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
                              Outside of perhaps Stride, and unless you espouse the position that the murders were all committed by different individuals, why are we focusing on differences?
                              Because of the subject of this thread, no ?

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
                                Hi Barnaby,

Because it might give us a different perspective. It seems a lot of the focus before has been about similarities. Since Chapman appeared to have been searched, perhaps it could mean that he knew her, for example. It's also a thought exercise for "fun".

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X