No announcement yet.

Most interesting unsolved non-serial killer cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I find the case of the New Orleans Axe Man to be quite interesting, anyone else read much about that?

He wrote a letter/letters, similar to Jack.
    Mostfoul

Comment

• I started a poll on unsolved cases but I don't think Axeman has any votes yet even though he's listed.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Just checked and yes no votes. That is a serial killer case however.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
          Thanks Dougie. Yes, it looks like it would make a great movie along the lines of a White Mischief.
          Aha! I see that IMDb lists a film entitled The Galapagos Affair that's scheduled for release next year. It appears to be about this case as per the synopsis also.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Another big one here in Illinois to go along with the likes of the Grimes Sisters would be the murder of Sharon Percy, daughter of, soon-to-be U. S. Senator and brief candidate for President of the United States, Charles Percy.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Just found an old copy of a book about the murder of film director William Desmond Taylor in 1920's Hollywood and that brought to mind another case about the murder of an actress (Virginia Rappe I think) which was responsible for ending overnight the glittering career of Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle in 1921. I shall have to look that one up again I think, I have a book about the killing somewhere, I don't think Arbuckle was convicted and I can't remember if anyone else was.

Comment

• Janice Weston Murder 1983

Hi All,

I posted about this strange case some time ago. Janice Weston was a wealthy lawyer whose battered body was discovered in a lay-by on the A1 in Northamptonshire, and who killed her and for what reason remains a total mystery. There were certain odd factors in the case, but no motive was ever established.

It seems to have been forgotten these days, but I wonder if any new poster to this forum recalls this case? If ever I was to write a book about a murder, this would probably be the one....

Cheers,

Graham
                We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• brummie-If I recall, Arbuckle was acquitted at his third trial after two hung juries. Today, I think the consensus is that the woman died of natural causes.

Graham-That is a creepy one. At least, I have that one book which has a few pages on the case.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Thelma Todd is another case like Arbuckle where there's some doubt if it was a murder which I guess we should decide before we go looking for a murderer.

Stan Reid

Comment

• As briefly mentioned earlier, there was also Jeanne Axford French who was stomped to death at L.A. in 1947. I've heard her described as an actress but I have never been able to find out in which medium. She was a forty-year-old nurse and also sometimes said to be an aviatrix - a bit of a renaissance woman it appears.
                      Last edited by sdreid; 07-08-2009, 04:38 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• There are a lot of interesting unsolved non-serial killer cases that haven't been mentioned yet including many single slayings that I'll list in a later post.

First the three basic non-serial killer multiple murder types - mass, composite and spree in the order of Name (Time) Place (Victims).

Mass:

Wallstreet Bomber (1920) New York (30)
                        Derailment Massacre (1939) Nevada (24)
                        Great Hartford Circus Fire (1944) Connecticut (169)

Composite:

Red Circle Murders (1937) New York (2)
                        Hotard/Moate Case (1956) Louisiana (2)
                        Dunes Vanishings (1966) Indiana (3)
                        Cook/Van Cuylenborg Case (1987) Washington (2)
                        Springfield Vanishings (1992) Missouri (3)

Spree:

State Fair Stalker (1981) Oklahoma (4)

Stan Reid

Comment

• Hello Stan!

You may correct me, but if I remember things right;

The 1920 Wall Street bomber was an Italian-originating anarchist, but the authorities didn't get quite enough evidence at the time!

All the best
                          Jukka
                          "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

• Hi Jukka,

Yes, I think the central theory was that it was an anarchist suicide bomber of some sort. I should probably bone up on the case again. If I recall, another theory besides that this was just some nut was that he might have been a German sore loser regarding The Great War.

Stan Reid

Comment

• OK, here are some interesting unsolved single murders that I don't think have been mentioned yet in order of Name (Time) Place:

Sarah Millsom (1866) England
                              Matilda Hacker (1879) England
                              Johnny Cantwell (1881) Illinois
                              Ester Pay Case (1882) England
                              Johnnie Gill (1888) England
                              Peasenhall Mystery (1902) England
                              Norah Fuller (1902) California
                              Mary Money (1905) England
                              Emily Dimmock (1907) England
                              Jean Milne (1912) Scotland

More to follow.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Ten more:

Mary Phagan (1913) Georgia
                                Green Bicycle Mystery (1919) England
                                Dot King (1923) New York
                                Edwin Creed (1926) England
                                Mabel Mayer (1927) California
                                Le Touquet Mystery (1928) France
                                Charles Mattson (1936) Washington
                                Pamela Coventry (1939) England
                                White Mischief Case (1941) Kenya
                                Lydia Thompson (1945) Michigan

Others to follow.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X