Casebook Examiner No. 1 (April 2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casebook Examiner No. 1 (April 2010)

The first issue of Casebook Examiner, the newest and we think already the best in the field, is here! Packing more than 100 pages of interesting content in a fresh, readable format, most members of Casebook.org have received their copies (and if you have not it is easy to request one at examiner @ casebook.org ). For those who can't wait to settle into a comfortable chair and start reading here is a quick peek at some of the contents.

Don Souden opens with an editorial that provides a brief explanation of what the Examiner plans to do and what it seeks to avoid in a Ripper magazine.

Tom Wescott's "Exonerating Michael Kidney" takes a good, hard look at the many myths surrounding the murder of Liz Stride, especially those that seek to implicate her one-time lover Kidney and decides the man has been wronged by many historians and is definitely Not Guilty.

Roger J. Palmer begins a two-part series on Inspector Walter Andrews, the man in the middle of the Dr. Francis Tumblety investigation. Part one, "The Rise of Walter Andrews," focuses on the Inspector's humble beginnings and his exciting career before his "mission to Montreal," that will be covered in the second installment.

David M. Gates offers up a thought-provoking essay "Reconsidering Ripper Geography and Victorian English Culture" that should be a "must-read" for all researchers in the field.

Rounding out this issue's articles, Neal Shelden (with Jennifer) sheds some revealing new light on the identities of three people who figured in the Kelly murder investigation with "Morganstoine, Elizabeth Phoenix and Mrs. Carthy."

The book review section, "Undercover Investigations," looks at five current books along with a survey of Ripper books that have dealt with contemporary press reports of the murders.

The focus on books continues with the first edition of "Collectors' Corner" in which Stewart P. Evans will regularly answer readers' question about Ripper books and other collectibles. "On the Case" will regularly look at related news and this issue adds an extra with a look by Andrew Firth at the recent "LondonJob 2010."

This is followed by the first in an on-going series called "The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Tour," with a peek at what Leicestershire offers. There are also lively features like "CSI: Whitechapel" and "Casebook Archives." Finally there is the "Scenes of the Crime" photo-feature by Rob Clack that will close every issue.

It is an exciting start, but there will be a lot more in coming issues—just be sure you get your copies.
    Last edited by Admin; 04-14-2010, 04:00 AM.

I Just received the issue and wasn't sure if I should open it.
    Now I know it's not a virus, I'm excited.

Thanks
    dustymiller
    aka drstrange

Comment

Congrats on the first issue! It looks outstanding. Tom and RJ write at length, a great way to begin what I hope will be a successful mag.

I shall be ponying up my subscription money forthwith.

Thanks,

JM

Comment

Thanks so much for the issue! I thoroughly enjoyed it!
        I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Ah, well then, screw it. So much for trying to start up another Ripper magazine. Pity, I had such great plans for Simon Wood and me, maybe others...

This floods the market way too much with Ripper stuff. But best of luck on the publication.

(Simon, you'll just have to concentrate on your books and writing freebie articles.)

Comment

I just started reading Tom's article. It is quite informative so far. It dispells a lot of mistruths and misunderstandings about Stride's murder thus far. I'm actually taking some notes on it. Good work, Tom!

Mike
            huh?

Comment

Excellent

An excellent publication - do not miss it.
              SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Does this mean Ive got to get a jig on with my piece?

Monty
                Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Rude

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                  Does this mean Ive got to get a jig on with my piece?
                  Monty
                  That sounds vaguely rude...
                  SPE

Comment

I think it is an excellent mag, especially the piece by R J Palmer on Inspector Andrews -- which is fabulous.

In my opinion, it is one [actually one of two parts] of the most lucid and interesting pieces ever written on an aspect of this mystery, so much so that I will be using relevant fragments from it with my high school students.

I hope that Palmer eventually writes a book on this subject?

Comment

Blimey, Leicester sounds like a sh*t hot place to live.

Though no mention of Monty.....who musta narked someone off.
                      Monty
                      Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
                        That sounds vaguely rude...
                        Its a Leicestershire saying Stewart.

Like 'ooooyabuggah' and 'wereyabinanwhatyabindoonin?".

Just had the briefest of looks which has turned into a 30 minute read through.

Its looking good guys, very good.

Monty
                        Monty

Comment

Thank Goodness

Its a Leicestershire saying Stewart.
                          Like 'ooooyabuggah' and 'wereyabinanwhatyabindoonin?".
                          Monty
                          Thank goodness for that, for I moment there I thought it had something to do with 'self-abuse'...
                          SPE

Comment

Solitary vices Stewart?

Drives one blind...or is it mad?

Napoleon
                            Monty

Comment

Solitary vices Stewart?

Drives one blind...or is it mad?
                              If you can see one of your other personalities, ask him.

Sane Mike
                              huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X