No announcement yet.

The 1961 Landscape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cousin bought the Danny & The Juniors record. However, as this piece of film shows, they weren't very junior.

Still, in case they didn't make it to the hop, at least they were dressed for Ascot.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
      Greenwich Village in the 60s? Wow - how lucky are you!

I think you have to be out of your head to play really good Jazz!

Have you ever seen the film Next Stop Greenwich Village? It's reputed to be based on the experience of playwrite Neil Simon. One of my very favourite films.
      I have"nt Julie, but I will make a note of that one,
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
        My cousin bought the Danny & The Juniors record. However, as this piece of film shows, they weren't very junior.

Still, in case they didn't make it to the hop, at least they were dressed for Ascot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpqWpifOALY

lol! - They're not exactly the Sex Pistols are they?

To be fair - they do look quite young to me (being an old lady over 50) but I think the 1950s clothes and hairstyl;es made everyone look middle-aged.

Comment

Right now I am making a tangerine and chocolate layer trifle as we are celebrating Christmas today. On Radio Four is a brilliant programme about the Moggie car. It's really interesting.

Merry Christmas to all.

Julie

Comment

Right now I am making a tangerine and chocolate layer trifle as we are celebrating Christmas today. On Radio Four is a brilliant programme about the Moggie car. It's really interesting.

Merry Christmas to all.

Julie
            Well now. I came across this thread about '61 and I thought it was about photos taken of the crime scene taken then.

I highly recommend The London of Jack the Ripper Then and Now

by Robert Clack and Philip Hutchinson. Foreward by Stewart Evans.
            http://oznewsandviews.proboards.com

Comment

Back at the beginning of the thread,the Dave Clark Five were mentioned....It was definitely Tottenham they practised in.....Above the grocery shop about 6 down from where I lived as a 5-year old............

Comment

We must have been near neighbours Steve. I was over the borough border in E17! Mind you - in 1961 I was a tiny dot - not even four years old that August when the events of that summer night took place.

I remember a great deal of the 60s though - on account of having a big brother and sister who enjoyed every minute of the decade!

Comment

Apparently in the innocent 60s years before the rise of the supermarkets, a whole town could depend on one 82-year-old guy doing his round!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

We must have been near neighbours Steve. I was over the borough border in E17! Mind you - in 1961 I was a tiny dot - not even four years old that August when the events of that summer night took place.

I remember a great deal of the 60s though - on account of having a big brother and sister who enjoyed every minute of the decade!
                    Mum & Dad moved to Walthamstow about 1980..Far too much money spent in the market.........Early 60's is still my favorite music......

Comment

That Glad, whom they were feeling all over, must be about 70 now. Time flies.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        Apparently in the innocent 60s years before the rise of the supermarkets, a whole town could depend on one 82-year-old guy doing his round!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8dO5DNFORY
                        Oh my God Robert- for reasons I won't go into that song just gives me the absolute willies! Everytime I hear those opening bars i run for cover!

Back to the more innocent molodies of those days. In 1961 I was (as I have mentioned!!) a tiny tot and the radio was on all day. Just after lunch - like thousands of other tots - I settled down to 'listen with mother'. The tune that introduced the programme was (and still is) beloved of many but was actually originally a classical piece by the composer Faure. It is called The Dolly Suite. I recently found a most beautiful rendition and I have attached a link. I absolutely love brass band music and thought this was a wonderful combination:

A sweet piece of music that older subscribers in the UK will recognise as the theme from 'Listen with Mother'

Comment

Postman Jack, Robert? Don't you mean Earnie?

Music video by Benny Hill performing Ernie (The Fastest Milkman In The West). (P) 2010 The copyright in this audiovisual recording is owned by EMI Records Ltd
                          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hi Limehouse

Yes, a very nice version. Grieg's music for the Woodentops was good too.

Stephen, that record kept T Rex off the top of the charts in 1971.

Comment

I was born in the early fifties and first lived with my grandparents and parents in a 1930s council block in Kings Cross, My mother worked as a telephone instructor at the GPO [ British Telecom] I was sent to boarding school at the age of 4 in the country, but living with my grandparents was fantastic.my Granddad was a tictac man[ racecourse bookie] We had no tv[ I saw TV at boarding school[ andy pandy,bill and ben] no fridge, Nana bough food fresh nearly everyday, she was a very good cook. she used to pluck and take the insides out of chickens,make pies on an ancient 1930s stove. good solid food roast beef , lamb stew and eels in parsley sauce, we used to go to Chapel Market to get the eels which were live and the stallholder chopped their heads off. My mother had a telephone put in There was a lot of card playing, all adult males would have poker sessions in evening. As my mother and her two sisters worked full time my Nana would be child minder to me and my two cousins in the holidays, We roamed about Kings Cross, and went on swings down Caledonian Rd or the Grand Union Canal.I loved St Pancras Station. Kings Cross was filthy then, covered in soot, even the council flat had a coal fire and Nana had a wash room wih a Magel
                              When my parents moved at the beginning of the sixties to a flat, we had tv but no fridge until lat in the sixties, I remember THE Kennedy assassination very well. He died on the friday and saturday we were looking and hundreds of newspapers the big dramatic photos of Jackie and feeling very upset by it that evening was the first episode ever of Dr WHO and I remember that quite well.
                              I used to watch that was the week that was and not so much... the follow up programme and later Pete and Dud also followed The Aldermaston Marches and being impressed by Vanessa Redgrave. Later I was a bit political, and hippy listening to Dylan, Leonard Cohen and The Doors as we most of my friends, going on anti Vietnam marches'' LBJ LBJ how many kids you killed today'' Posters of Mao and Che in the rooms.I was on the infamous Grosvenor Sq March at the American Embassy, policeman on giant black horses charging the crowd, two of my friends got arrested. Then buying clothes in Biba in Kensington Church st, every saturday after drama class.All Pally the infamous hippy festival in 1967 Pink Floyd played, drugs and rock. It was a two day event but me and my friend were only allowed to go for one day.I was at school in north London then. Also went to Yoko Ono's flat in Baker St, friend was babysitter to her daughter Kyoko by Tony Cox, we met Yoko, she liquidised some apple juice, the first liquidiser i'd seen.She was still with Cox then who was in debt. Her FLAT WAS amazing full of her art, half chairs chained on walls, strange objects on perspex pillars,a rotten apple.
                              Yes I do remember the sixties, lots more.
                              Two best sightings Iin the sixties Peter Cook down the Portobello RD wearing a purple shirt. John Lennon coming out of Apple about 1969,longer hair wearing a very cool flared suit. I did not asked for his autograph to my everlasting regret.
                              Miss Marple

Comment

Wonderful recollections Miss Marple. Kids today can hardly believe that people actually survived with no fridge and no TV!

Very recently one of my students objected to me asking her to put her mobile phone away during the class. She gave me a dark look at muttered "I bet you used your phone in class when you were at school". I howled with laughter. The nearest pohone to my home was on the corner of the street hundreds of years away!

I used to rollar skate at the Ally Pally - but it was quite a treck from where we lived so only every now and then.

I know the Kings Cross area quite well. I used to work in Camden Town more than 25 years ago.

I too was a political teen and I am still flying the flag for various causes today. My last march was just a few weeks ago - trying to see off the English Defence League who had the cheek to come to my adopted city and spread their nasty views around in the most objectionable way.

I haven't met bumped into any rock legends but I have marched shoulder to shoulder with Tony Benn at Tolpuddle.

Happy New Year to you.

Julie

Comment

Working...
                                X