No announcement yet.

What EXACTLY did Maurice Lewis say?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you given up policing the thread content?

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    I'm not making excuses.

Hutchinson saw a "stern" looking man picking up his friend on the morning of her death, witnessed him spending a considerable amount time in her room, and hours later - doesn't matter if it was 1, 3, 5 or 7 - she is horrifically and brutally killed.
    Again, how many witnesses came forward 6-7 hours before the time Nichols, Chapman, Stride or Eddowes were reported to have been murdered?
    Why is it only Hutchinson who is expected to have done this?

Yet, because of some early, confusing press reports, Hutchinson decided to say bugger all about it to the police? Oops, I forgot again! he didn't keep it to himself, because he'd already told an unidentified copper previously, so he obviously thought his evidence was worth something to the police. Why not make a statement at that point?

Furthermore, when he was asked why he he didn't make his statement sooner, why say that he'd already told a policeman, when - if your suggestion is correct - he could simply and truthfully have said "because I thought from what I'd read in the papers that Mary was still alive in the morning"?
    The constable obviously didn't think it relevant, likely for the same reason I have said.
    Hutchinson told us the PC did not go to the police station. We are not told why. Yet the reason is obvious.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hi Jon,

True. Although it doesn't explicitly state that the little boy was her son.

Regards,

Simon
      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Yes Simon "a son", and "a mother".
        It was the Star who assigned a son to her.

Three of them sharing a room, not what we have become familiar with for the murdered woman.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          Again, how many witnesses came forward 6-7 hours before the time Nichols, Chapman, Stride or Eddowes were reported to have been murdered?
          They weren't even identified within 6 or 7 hours of their deaths, so how could that question possibly make any sense?
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Have you given up policing the thread content?
            What on earth do you mean? I haven't been policing anything.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

They weren't even identified within 6 or 7 hours of their deaths, so how could that question possibly make any sense?
              Oh, I see.

Ok, then why isn't Catherine Lane under suspicion?
              She last saw Stride about 7-8:00 Saturday evening in the lodging house at Flower & Dean St. Just 5-6 hours before Stride was found murdered.
              She never went rushing to police to tell them Stride was in the lodging house around 7:30 Saturday night - thats damn suspicious!

Then there's that deceptive Elizabeth Tanner, she saw Stride in the Queens Head pub about 6:30 Sat. evening, but she never went running to police to admit she was with Stride ONLY 6.5 hours before the murder.
              Why didn't she go, you would have, right?
              Gareth would have been off like a shot. Which only means one thing, Tanner had something to hide!!

Sound silly? - actually I'd say it sounds stupid.
              But then again, its not my argument.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

What on earth do you mean? I haven't been policing anything.
                This tangential exchange does not involve Maurice Lewis, the point of the thread. I thought that might concern you.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

This tangential exchange does not involve Maurice Lewis, the point of the thread. I thought that might concern you.
                  I hadn't really noticed the heading of the thread, which seems in any case to have morphed into a general discussion about Kelly's time of death. To be honest, we're not likely to get much mileage out of a peripheral figure like Maurice Lewis in any case, so perhaps these tangents are understandable.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Sound silly? - actually I'd say it sounds stupid.
                    But then again, its not my argument.
                    That's not my argument either, but I really can't be arsed explaining it to you.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Hi Jon,

I was wrong.

The Standard, 10th November 1888, also stated—

"Her little room was shared with a son, eight years of age, and her mother."

Regards,

Simon
                      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Didn't you forget to mention that the measurable amount of rain was "n/a".
                        So little it was not measurable.
                        Thats what we used to call drizzle, not "raining hard".
                        I am not saying it is wrong but wasn't it from an unofficial report?
                        Could n/a mean no answer rather than not applicable.
                        Also if Cox did get the day wrong it doesn't look like the night before

Weather for 8 November - Dull cold day; rain at night
                        Weather for 9 Nov - Wet till 11A.M, then overcast

Dull cold day, nothing about raining during the night. maybe it did rain, maybe not. But at least we know it did rain/drizzle [ one person's interpretation of heavy/rain drizzle can be different from another's ] during the night of 8/9 Nov

Comment

Originally posted by Darryl Kenyon View Post
                          I am not saying it is wrong but wasn't it from an unofficial report?
                          Could n/a mean no answer rather than not applicable.
                          Or "not available", perhaps.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Also if Cox did get the day wrong it doesn't look like the night before

Weather for 8 November - Dull cold day; rain at night
                            Weather for 9 Nov - Wet till 11A.M, then overcast

Dull cold day, nothing about raining during the night.
                            Am I the only one who's confused by this?

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                              Am I the only one who's confused by this?
                              Hi, Joshua sorry if I wasn't more clear. But it has been suggested that Mary Cox got her days wrong and she really saw Mary Kelly the night before IE 7/8 Nov. But she says in her inquest testimony - Deceased was still singing at one o'clock when I returned. I remained in the room for a minute to warm my hands as it was raining,
                              if it was raining during the night of 7/8 Nov the forecast would read -Rain at night, Dull cold day; not vice versa But we know it rained on the 8/9 nov at night, as the forecast points out - Wet till 11A.M, then overcast.
                              Last edited by Darryl Kenyon; 06-11-2018, 11:07 AM. Reason: Adding

Comment

if it was raining during the night of 7/8 Nov the forecast would read -Rain at night, Dull cold day; not vice versa
                                I'm not so sure, Darryl. What it's saying is, "The day was dull and cold, and it rained at night", which makes perfect sense to me, logically and sequentially. On the next day, "It rained in the morning until 11AM, and the rest of the day was overcast".

Putting the two statements together, it seems that it rained frequently, if not constantly, during the night of the 8th and the morning of the 9th.
                                Last edited by Sam Flynn; 06-11-2018, 11:41 AM.
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Working...
                                X