Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    thanks!
    No problem, Abby. In fact, looking back at my post, I'm starting to wonder whether I should add him to my list of viable suspects!

Comment

• Hi All,

Not that it matters one jot, but Mr H.T. Haslewood was vice-chairman of the Eagle Angling Society, Chesnut Road, Tottenham.

Perhaps he thought Sergeant William Thick was the one that got away.

Regards,

Simon
      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Should we ask a Fisherman or is this a red herring ?

Comment

• Hi Whitechapel,

I have no idea.

Dangle your bait and see who bites.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
            Hi All,

Not that it matters one jot, but Mr H.T. Haslewood was vice-chairman of the Eagle Angling Society, Chesnut Road, Tottenham.

Perhaps he thought Sergeant William Thick was the one that got away.

Regards,

Simon
            Hi Simon,

But isn't it the case that there is no evidence that Haslewood was involved in criminal activity? In fact, as Vice-Chairman of the East Anglian Society he sounds like a most upstanding citizen!

It does therefore seem odd that he would specifically single out Sergeant Thick, or accuse any police officer given his obvious respectability! The question therefore is: what was his motive?
            Last edited by John G; 01-08-2016, 11:23 AM.

Comment

• Hi John,

No evidence at all. And it's not even as though Haselwood was local. Tottenham was a fair schlep from Whitechapel.

Somebody noted on the HO file, "I think it is plainly rubbish, perhaps prompted by spite."

He thought it was a load of old pollacks.

Regards,

Simon
              Last edited by Simon Wood; 01-08-2016, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• Maybe he thought Thick just seemed a bit fishy

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                  Hi John,

No evidence at all. And it's not even as though Haselwood was local. Tottenham was a fair schlep from Whitechapel.

Somebody noted on the HO file, "I think it is plainly rubbish, perhaps prompted by spite."

He thought it was a load of old pollacks.

Regards,

Simon
                  Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was aware that his accusations weren't taken seriously. Mind you, Thick may well have been involved in corrupt activity, which the higher echelons of the police force were probably blissfully unaware of. Maybe he should be considered as more of a bigger fish in the murky pond of possible suspects-okay,enough of the fish jokes!

Comment

• Wasn't Sgt Thick also involved in the 1882 illegal boxing match incident? If memory serves, he gave some of those arrested a character reference that got them off the hook.

Comment

• Originally posted by jerryd View Post
                      Thanks Monty,

Didn't the whistle procedure, possibly by directive of the Met, change for the City Police on on July 25th, 1889? Immediately after the murder of Alice McKenzie? At that directive, the officer finding the body was to, upon finding a body, blow a whistle immediately until help arrived.
                      Yes Mr Dunlop.

And refined after the Coles murder.

Chief Office 25th July 1889
                      Memorandum

The following brief outline of instructions issued to the Metropolitan Police for their guidance in the event of another Murder case arising is sent for the information of Inspectors.

“The officer first arriving at the spot is to call assistance by blowing his whistle, on help arriving to search the immediate neighbourhood keeping close observation on all persons who may be found in the vicinity, send at once to the Station House and for the Surgeon”.

“When sufficient aid arrived the Officers on duty will direct the constables from the adjoining beats to return at once to their beats and make careful search at all places likely to conceal the miscreant at the same to closely scrutinise all persons who may be seen about instructing their comrades on the adjacent beats to do likewise”

Monty
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Monty; 01-08-2016, 12:29 PM.
                      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
                        Hi Jerry,

I think you've made some excellent points about PC Andrews, and it certainly seems odd that he apparently didn't blow his whistle to summon assistance immediately, i.e. upon discovery of the body. In fact, I believe police regulations required him to stay with the body, so he wouldn't have been able to commence an immediate search for a killer himself, even though he had possibly just fled the scene,which is all the more reason for him to summon help quickly.

Regarding arterial bleeding, Dr Biggs points out that, "arteries, even large ones, usually go into acute spasm when cut, providing very effective control of bleeding (at least initially.)" (Marriott, 2013).
                        Congratulations. You have constructed another Lechmere Ripper. Another one accused of being at the murder site at the time of the murder and imagined to perhaps having problems with his mother. Without evidence.

Well John, you can certainly be generous with believing arguments and giving significance to data sources when you want to.

And John, what would you have said about such a theory if it was me who had presented it? You would have been laughing, wouldnīt you?

So now, thanks to your speculations, the poor chap Andrews is accused of having been a killer, and not just any killer, but Jack the Ripper, when he was only doing his job.

Regards, Pierre
                        Last edited by Pierre; 01-08-2016, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• LOL every Copper is under suspicion in this thread from Commissioner Warren and Assistant Commissioner Monro all the way down to Sergeant Thick and Constable Andrews. But that is what it is for to advance the theory of a policeman as JTR. Even'in all.
                          Last edited by Whitechapel; 01-08-2016, 12:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                            Congratulations. You have constructed another Lechmere Ripper. Another one accused of being at the murder site at the time of the murder and imagined to perhaps having problems with his mother. Without evidence.

Well John, you can certainly be generous with believing arguments and giving significance to data sources when you want to.

And John, what would you have said about such a theory if it was me who had presented it? You would have been laughing, wouldnīt you?

So now, thanks to your speculations, the poor chap Andrews is accused of having been a killer, and not just any killer, but Jack the Ripper, when he was only doing his job.

Regards, Pierre
                            Oh dear, another Pierre-think post! Where did I say I thought Thick was the Ripper? Where did I say he was at the murder site at the time of any of the murders?

Bizarrely, you're the only one claiming to have incontrovertible evidence for someone being the Ripper. However, you will not name this "suspect", or present your evidence. I wonder why?

However, you have given a number of insights into your research methods-declaring that you have found an important piece of evidence, on the basis that it contains the "suspects" name in metaphorical form!

Oh, and the absolute classic: Stride's killer put the cachous in her hand because cachous is a near-homonym for cautious, meaning the killer was clearly trying to communicate to the authorities that he was cautious!

At least I present real evidence, rather than pseudoscientific gibberish!

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitechapel View Post
                              He seems to be laying it on THICK as his LINE of enquiry. As VC of the Eagle Anglian Society maybe he was giving him the BIRD.
                              You wouldn't be a Pierre acolyte by any chance, would you? Just thought I'd ask.

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
                                Oh dear, another Pierre-think post! Where did I say I thought Thick was the Ripper? Where did I say he was at the murder site at the time of any of the murders?

Bizarrely, you're the only one claiming to have incontrovertible evidence for someone being the Ripper. However, you will not name this "suspect", or present your evidence. I wonder why?

However, you have given a number of insights into your research methods-declaring that you have found an important piece of evidence, on the basis that it contains the "suspects" name in metaphorical form!

Oh, and the absolute classic: Stride's killer put the cachous in her hand because cachous is a near-homonym for cautious, meaning the killer was clearly trying to communicate to the authorities that he was cautious!

At least I present real evidence, rather than pseudoscientific gibberish!
                                No, John. You are agreeing with what Jerry is writing. That is the point. And he has the same type of hypothesis as Fisherman.

You donīt understand why I will not name the person I think was the killer before I am ready to do so. And yet I have explained why many times.

Just because you donīt understand how serial killers can communicate with the police doesnīt mean he did not communicate with them.

The question concerning Stride is just a question as I have clearly stated but which you fail to understand. That does not make it nonsense even if it might be. You should try and read some scientific literature on serial killers instead of ripperology.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Working...
                                X