The profession of Jack the Ripper.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi All,

The Ripper being James Monro is a non-starter.

In Bengal, between 15th January and 2nd November 1876, Monro was on sick leave, the result of a horse riding accident which left him with a permanent and pronounced limp.

At the time of his appointment as Assistant Commissioner it was rumoured that Queen Victoria might object because he had to walk with the aid of a stick and could not mount a horse for ceremonial occasions.

Thus was Monro not an ideal candidate for our fleet-footed JtR.

Happy New Year.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon Wood; 01-04-2016, 11:34 AM. Reason: spolling mistook
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitechapel View Post
      Thanks for mentioning that Abby Normal and Pierre gives the reason for JTR starting as much worse than being fired and forced to resign. However Pierre has already said that he is coming fresh to Ripperology like me, I have heard of Warren and Anderson but not so much of Monro, even though he is listed among the police officials on Casebook Ripper. Also Pierre may have found a more extreme reason for Monro to be so upset with the Police Commissioner. Pierre can you confirm if your suspect is Sir James Monro ?
      Hi Whitechapel,

I am sorry but I have chosen to not answer any more questions about who he was or wasnŽt.

All I can tell you is that when I have the last source, and if this source confirms that I have found him, you will be surprised.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
        Hello Pierre,

I think you might just have answered Question 2.
        No, I have not. And the answer to that question is no.

Regards Pierre

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
          All I can tell you is that when I have the last source, and if this source confirms that I have found him, you will be surprised.
          What happens if you never get hold of "the last source". Will the identity of your suspect then be unknown to us forever?

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
            HI WC.
            Appears Pierre has gone incommuticato on your question, which makes me wonder, as he is usually pretty quick to deny a specific candidate put forth by posters.

Pierre is your suspect Monro?
            I would go further and allege that one of the authors of 'Summing up and verdict' is Pierre (apologies to either if I am wrong). I make an open offer to either of them to come on here and deny it.

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
            While Pierre certainly was quite focussed on Monro in his early posts, and Monro would fit with the fact that Pierre claims to have seen his suspect's "texts" (with one of Monro's articles referred to by Pierre as a "text), there are two fundamental problems with Monro being Pierre's candidate:

Firstly, while it makes sense - in a very crazy sort of way - for Monro to have committed the murders to force Sir Charles Warren's resignation, one would have thought the murders would have stopped after MJK when Monro had achieved his objective. Instead, Pierre says the murders continued in 1889 when Monro was himself the Commissioner and thus ultimately responsible for the failure to catch JTR.

Secondly, Pierre told us he has not seen a photograph of his suspect whereas a photograph of Monro can be found very easily from a Google images search.
            David I agree with your 2 points

On the first point, the end of the murders of the canonical 5 fits neatly with Monro's re-appointment. I am speculating that the extra murders are something to do with the re-appointment of Monro's friend Melville McNaghten.

In June 1889 Mc Naghten was appointed Assistant Chief Constable (CID) and 4-11th June 1889 Elizabeth Jackson's torso and other body parts were found in and around the Thames at Horsely Down to mark the event.
            On 17th July 1889 Alice Mackenzie's body was found and Monro himself investigated the case. He has shown himself superior to Warren as he is now in charge.
            The last one is the 10th September 1889 possibly Lydia Hart, the Pinchin Street case maybe marking the anniversary of the death of Annie Chapman. Presumably there are no more as in 1890 Monro returns to India. So for his personal reasons he has revenged himself on his political rivals and he does not need to find the culprit as it's him. You can't get more personal than that.

The reason for ending the long killing spree from 1888 to 1889 was strictly personal and had nothing to do with insanity or suicide.

On your second point yes it is surprising that Pierre doesn't have a photo of Monro as there is a photo of him under the police officials on this website. But I wouldn't rule it out.
            Last edited by Whitechapel; 01-04-2016, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
              Whoever this suspect is, it just sounds like more phony baloney conspiratorial nonsense. Dollars to donuts the Ripper wasn't a high-ranking policeman or even your average bobby. That's what my data's telling me, at least.
              Hi,

from the point of view of the killer, the motives for the murders were purely egoistic.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

from the point of view of the killer, the motives for the murders were purely egoistic.
                Are you sure you are not getting confused with your own motives for posting on this forum?

Comment

Hi Whiechapel,

I'm beginning to think you might be right! The quote that you refer to has been attributed to Disraeli I believe but, statistically- speaking, that is probably a false attribution. Okay, I'm going to stop now as I'm starting to sound like Pierre.

I think Pierre is essentially taking a "smoke and mirrors" approach. For instance, he's fine when citing technical statistical terns-and he probably is some type of statistician, but he says little of real substance (and when he does, he tends to get into trouble, such as not knowing the colour of police uniforms, or confusing a metaphorical suspect with a real suspect!)

And is failure to list his "academic achievements", leads to obvious inferences. He also claims to be an historian, but no history would use phrases such as "I'm going to do a statistical analysis of the probability that is name could be in the source." It's absurd.

I agree with you about the railway station connection though, this is an avenue of research well worth exploring.
                  Hi,

The colour of the uniforms are not important. So I have had no interest in that matter. There are a lot of "facts" being written here and people know the most detailed stuff about everything. They often call it "interesting" and it may be so, but knowing the colour of a police uniform has not given the ID of the killer.

And there is no "metaphorical suspect". Whatever that would be.

Kind Regards, Pierre

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                    Hi All,

The Ripper being James Monro is a non-starter.

In Bengal, between 15th January and 2nd November 1876, Monro was on sick leave, the result of a horse riding accident which left him with a permanent and pronounced limp.

At the time of his appointment as Assistant Commissioner it was rumoured that Queen Victoria might object because he had to walk with the aid of a stick and could not mount a horse for ceremonial occasions.

Thus was Monro not an ideal candidate for our fleet-footed JtR.

Happy New Year.

Simon
                    Thanks Simon but I am going to play devil's advocate for the sake of the Monro theory and say if Monro was so twisted to be JTR, feigning a limp would not be hard and it would provide him with a convincing alibi. It could be that he has secretly recovered from the accident but carries on walking around with a stick (he wouldn't be the first). So by day he is the limping Assistant Commissioner (who would suspect ?) but by night he is the fleet-footed JTR reeking his revenge on Old London Town bwahahahaha

Comment

• I see that the poster is not going to say yes or no, i think we can therefore assume one of two things:

1.there is no suspect and never was

or

2. he has been mentioned in the last day or so, and not necessarily as a suspect

you pays your money and takes your choice

Comment

Hi,

Kind Regards, Pierre
                        There is no "suspect" period Pierre. Why you continue on this baiting I have no idea, maybe you just have too much free time. There has been ample time and ad infinitum requests for you to pony up some information based upon your teaser-trail and you have ignored all.

How about as a New Years resolution you try and work on wasting your own, and others time, in venues more suited to your style. Perhaps a discussion board that only accepts questions as posts?
                        Michael Richards

Comment

• Hi Whitechapel,

Bwahahahaha indeed.

Regards,

Simon
                          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Hi,

The colour of the uniforms are not important. So I have had no interest in that matter. There are a lot of "facts" being written here and people know the most detailed stuff about everything. They often call it "interesting" and it may be so, but knowing the colour of a police uniform has not given the ID of the killer.

Kind Regards, Pierre
                            Okay, to be more specific you claimed to have found the "full name"of the suspect in a "data source", but then contradicted this assertion by implying that the name was only in metaphorical form, whatever that might be.

I think it reasonable, therefore, to conclude that such inconsistencies raise important questions regarding credibility.

Regarding the failure to ID of the killer, as your approach to solving this elusive mystery remains shrouded by equivocation and obfuscation, I have no reasonable grounds to believe you will be any more successful.
                            Last edited by John G; 01-04-2016, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Okay, to be more specific you claimed to have found the "full name"of the suspect in a "data source", but then contradicted this assertion by implying that the name was only in metaphorical form, whatever that might be.

I think it reasonable, therefore, to conclude that such inconsistencies raise important questions regarding credibility.

Regarding the failure to ID of the killer, as your approach to solving this elusive mystery remains shrouded by equivocation and obfuscation, I have no reasonable grounds to believe you will be any more successful.
                              Would the killer have been intelligent if heŽd given the police his real name?

Regards, Pierre

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Whitechapel View Post
                                Hi Pierre,

Since you are in a responsive mood, could you list academic texts and peer-reviewed journal articles that you have published?

Yours,
                                Mister Whitechapel
                                He has been asked to this more times than I can count (pretty sure John was first) so far he has merely ignored the request.

Such date leads one to speculate that the statistical probability is that he can name

None
                                Zero
                                Zilch
                                Zip and bugger all.
                                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                                X