Patricia Cornwell - Walter Sickert - BOOK 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patricia Cornwell - Walter Sickert - BOOK 2

"Her original accusations in her 2002 book, Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper - Case Closed, outraged art historians and were dismissed by Ripperologists as 'improbable'.
    But now, in a new book to be released next week, Cornwell claims the proof of Sickert's guilt lies in the paper he used."

More HERE

Crime writer Patricia Cornwell, left, claims she has vital evidence to prove the identity of Britain's biggest serial killer, Jack the Ripper. She believes the renowned artist Walter Sickert is the culprit
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website
    ---------------------------------------------------

Interesting article, although there are some spelling errors in it. Thanks for the link.

I have not read either book yet. Can anyone tell me why Cornwell's theory is so universally mocked by Ripperologists?
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

It's amazing how many times the Daily Mail has discovered who Jtr was in recent years.
      dustymiller
      aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
        Interesting article, although there are some spelling errors in it. Thanks for the link.

I have not read either book yet. Can anyone tell me why Cornwell's theory is so universally mocked by Ripperologists?
        It's a long time since I saw the TV programme, but basically her case is reliant on Sickert being responsible for the Ripper letters. However, most researchers, of course, consider most of the Ripper letters to be hoaxes. She also claims the letters contain information that only the killer would know but doesn't elaborate.

There was also a scientific test on one of the letters, in which I believe saliva from a stamp was linked to Sickert. However, this was on the basis of mitochondrial DNA, which several million Britains at the time would have shared, so therefore not even as strong as Russell Edwards' DNA evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post

Basically the most she established was that Walter wrote some letters.

Now if, like most, you doubt that the killer was the writer that doesn't take you very far.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
            Basically the most she established was that Walter wrote some letters.

Now if, like most, you doubt that the killer was the writer that doesn't take you very far.
            Thanks, GUT. Well, I don't think Sickert wrote ALL the letters, but he was enough of a crime buff that he may well have written some of them. Cornwell says her new book focuses on a small print run of a specific type of paper that is linked to Sickert's personal letters and some JTR letters.

Did JTR write letters? Why not-- other serial killers have, though they mostly came after him.
            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
            ---------------
            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
            ---------------

Comment

I'm reminded of the notorious Wearside Jack letters and tapes during the Yorkshire Ripper enquiry. The police were convinced they were sent by the killer, apparently containing information that only the killer could know. Of course, in reality they were sent by a sad alcoholic who had nothing to do with the murders.

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
                I'm reminded of the notorious Wearside Jack letters and tapes during the Yorkshire Ripper enquiry. The police were convinced they were sent by the killer, apparently containing information that only the killer could know. Of course, in reality they were sent by a sad alcoholic who had nothing to do with the murders.
                Yep very similar. Unfortunately even if Walter were Jack, proving he wrote some letters won't prove it.

There were literally 1000s of letters, clearly not all from one person, if Jack sent any (and I don't rule out that possibility) which one(s).
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

This book belongs in the fiction section like the rest of Cornwell's stories.

Comment

Hi.
                    I must disagree, if it could be proven that Sickert wrote at least one of the letters, it would point to guilt.
                    Would people be so keen to dismiss , if it could be proven that Druitt, Kosminski,Kelly, Prince Albert Victor, wrote one?
                    Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
                      Hi.
                      I must disagree, if it could be proven that Sickert wrote at least one of the letters, it would point to guilt.
                      Would people be so keen to dismiss , if it could be proven that Druitt, Kosminski,Kelly, Prince Albert Victor, wrote one?
                      Regards Richard.
                      Yep. And I think three of those you mention make good suspects, but being a letter writer does not a ripper make when we know as a fact that letters were received from 100s, if not 1000s, of different people.
                      G U T

Comment

It boils down to this.

Proof of being the writer of a letter does not prove the same person being a killer.
                        If Kosminski, Druitt and Co wrote one of the letters.. it would mean..
                        They wrote a letter. Thats all.

As long as there is no tangible link to the act of murder.. Which there isn't.. then this isnt even circumstantial evidence.

The craving to find "guilt" must be tempered methinks.

Just my opinion.

Phil
                        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                        Accountability? ....

Comment

what letter/s did she have tested that matched Sickerts DNA?

was it the Openshaw letter? any others match, according to her?
                          "Is all that we see or seem
                          but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                          quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hi Abby,

Not sure now..but I don't think it was that one. I could be wrong.

Phil
                            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                            Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
                              Hi.
                              Regards Richard.
                              I stand by my post.

Comment

Working...
                              X