Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Simon Wood 12 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Scott Nelson 12 hours ago.
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - by Paddy 13 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: Diary Quirks - by Mike J. G. 13 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring a Life - by Mike J. G. 13 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Mike J. G. 13 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (8 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (8 posts)
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - (6 posts)
Maybrick, James: And This Is Factual! - (4 posts)
Maybrick, James: New Thoughts On The “diary” - (2 posts)
Maybrick, James: Diary Quirks - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #861  
Old 10-29-2016, 04:49 AM
louisa louisa is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
20 years have passed and I don't think he has been living under an assumed name. So if there had been any remotely similar incidents at school or when playing with other kids wouldn't we reasonably expect something to have leaked to the press?
Today he has a girlfriend and according to reports he is a quiet, level headed man and quite smart.

There doesn't seem to be a parallel.
You don't have to believe all that you read.

I would fully expect him to have a girlfriend, he's rich after all. And...you know what they say....there's a cover for every pot.

I think Burke would have been capable of doing it all (and so do a lot of other people), except writing the ransom note. Children have killed other children before now, and they can be quite imaginative.
__________________
This is simply my opinion
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #862  
Old 10-29-2016, 05:03 AM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
http://www.9news.com/news/investigat...case/343376600

I just watched this story on the local Denver, Colorado newscast. Entitled "DNA in doubt," it looks at the former Boulder District Attorney's letter of apology which she sent to John and Patsy Ramsey, exonerating them from suspicion in the case of their daughter's death in 1996.

The program explains that the discovery of "unknown male" DNA found on JBR's pajama bottoms was obtained by tests that may have been insufficient, due to the small quantity of material found, and due to the fact that the D.A. failed to request further testing, perhaps because her theory regarding a single intruder as the culprit was supported. They also suggested she misunderstood what DNA testing could and could not do.

They also indicated the sample may have been "mixed DNA" from more than one contributor, and that this may have led to a wild goose chase as far as finding the real killer/s.

The current Boulder D.A. said the case was never closed, and remains open now, and that if more information is obtained, he will pursue it with the Boulder Police Department.

This is one of the first new developments in this case in years, so I thought I'd mention it here for all of your attention.
Yes, there is also the issue of the DNA found in JB's panties & leggings suggested to have been present when originally purchased. Then transferred through laundering (washing & drying).

The investigators tried to verify this by testing newly purchased underwear, it turned out to be correct, traces of DNA were found in newly purchased packages. That is the story that has been promoted by many, except they did not include "the rest of the story".

In all cases what was found was minute samples of DNA so badly degraded that it was all but useless due to being 1/10 (one tenth) of the strength of that found on JonBenet.
Yet, we are taught that the DNA samples found on JonBenet were poor due to transfer from natural use and repeated washing & drying. Yet the JB samples were 10 times stronger than what was found in new packages.

By comparison then, this would suggest the samples found on JB were actually fresh and had not been transferred by repeated use and consequently more reliable than anything found in new packaged items..

James Kolar covers this in his book, yet he is not a supporter of the intruder theory - so he is not providing this extra detail to bolster his own theory, he is just being thorough.
Kolar believes Burke had a role in this.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #863  
Old 10-29-2016, 05:32 AM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,507
Default

In John Ramsey's book, The Death of Innocence, he suggests Robert Wolf was a possible suspect in the death of JonBenet.

Wolf sued Ramsey and asserted it was the Ramsey's who murdered JB. Ramsey's evidence was supported by the findings of Lou Smit whereas Wolf's evidence was the published theories of ex-Detective Steve Thomas. This civil action was ruled on by Judge Julie Carnes in March of 2003.
Quote:
"Further, Whereas Detective Smit's summary testimony concerning the investigation is based on evidence, Detective Thomas' theories appear to lack substantial evidentiary support. Indeed, while Detective Smit is an experienced and respected homicide detective, Detective Thomas had no investigative experience concerning homicide cases prior to this case."

Det. Thomas had published that Patsy Ramsey murdered JonBenet while Det. Smit believed an intruder was responsible.
This was a contest of experience over inexperience.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #864  
Old 10-29-2016, 06:05 AM
louisa louisa is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
In John Ramsey's book, The Death of Innocence, he suggests Robert Wolf was a possible suspect in the death of JonBenet.

Wolf sued Ramsey and asserted it was the Ramsey's who murdered JB. Ramsey's evidence was supported by the findings of Lou Smit whereas Wolf's evidence was the published theories of ex-Detective Steve Thomas. This civil action was ruled on by Judge Julie Carnes in March of 2003.
Quote:
"Further, Whereas Detective Smit's summary testimony concerning the investigation is based on evidence, Detective Thomas' theories appear to lack substantial evidentiary support. Indeed, while Detective Smit is an experienced and respected homicide detective, Detective Thomas had no investigative experience concerning homicide cases prior to this case."

Det. Thomas had published that Patsy Ramsey murdered JonBenet while Det. Smit believed an intruder was responsible.
This was a contest of experience over inexperience.
You should stop reading (and quoting) fiction.

Surely you know that a book written by someone about themselves is always is going to be self-serving?

John Ramsey named everybody he could think of as being the murderer of JonBenet. They were all cleared, except for himself and Patsy.

Steve Thomas was the lead detective on the case. Because the Ramseys did not like what he had to say about them (which I happen to think was the truth) they sued him for £10M.

It seems that if you are very wealthy you can not only get away with murder but you can also get big money for simply being accused of it.

And Julie Carnes was every bit as bad as the other DA who told lies - Alex Hunter. And you already know what I think about that little attention-seeker Lou Smit, whose mad-cap theories were not even allowed in court.

.
.
.
__________________
This is simply my opinion

Last edited by louisa : 10-29-2016 at 06:30 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #865  
Old 10-29-2016, 06:35 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
In John Ramsey's book, The Death of Innocence, he suggests Robert Wolf was a possible suspect in the death of JonBenet.

Wolf sued Ramsey and asserted it was the Ramsey's who murdered JB. Ramsey's evidence was supported by the findings of Lou Smit whereas Wolf's evidence was the published theories of ex-Detective Steve Thomas. This civil action was ruled on by Judge Julie Carnes in March of 2003.
Quote:
"Further, Whereas Detective Smit's summary testimony concerning the investigation is based on evidence, Detective Thomas' theories appear to lack substantial evidentiary support. Indeed, while Detective Smit is an experienced and respected homicide detective, Detective Thomas had no investigative experience concerning homicide cases prior to this case."

Det. Thomas had published that Patsy Ramsey murdered JonBenet while Det. Smit believed an intruder was responsible.
This was a contest of experience over inexperience.
Hi wicks
Who was wolf and why did Ramsey suspect him?
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #866  
Old 10-29-2016, 06:44 AM
louisa louisa is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 987
Default

Ramsey vs Wolf

http://web.dailycamera.com/extra/ram...0/29lrams.html
__________________
This is simply my opinion
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #867  
Old 10-29-2016, 09:42 AM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisa View Post
You don't have to believe all that you read.

I would fully expect him to have a girlfriend, he's rich after all. And...you know what they say....there's a cover for every pot.

I think Burke would have been capable of doing it all (and so do a lot of other people), except writing the ransom note. Children have killed other children before now, and they can be quite imaginative.
It is easy for anyone to "see Burke being capable" when their theory requires it, but it is the opinion of professionals that matter not theorists like us.
A psychological examination of Burke at the time might have gone along way to unraveling events that morning.

If the only way we can guess Burke's candidacy is to looks at children his age who do demonstrate violent and perverted sexual behaviour - yet Burke did not, then how is that a comparison?
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #868  
Old 10-29-2016, 09:46 AM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
It's well known that Burke clocked her with a golf club and that he was known by neighbors as weird.
I can't think of any kid I knew that didn't hit his sister at some time or another.
This business about the faeces with Burke, he once smeared the bathroom walls with faeces too, but this could be a desperate cry for attention.
It's more aligned with nuisance behaviour than violence.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #869  
Old 10-29-2016, 09:49 AM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisa View Post

He was probably under constant supervision when he was growing up.

If your child had committed these acts and killed his sister, and was lucky enough to have got away with it, then you would make sure he was supervised around other kids.
Well, if he wasn't supervised then doesn't that destroy your argument?

Was he or wasn't he supervised?
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #870  
Old 10-29-2016, 09:56 AM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisa View Post
You should stop reading (and quoting) fiction.

Surely you know that a book written by someone about themselves is always is going to be self-serving?
The post was about the opinion of Judge Carnes, not the claims by John Ramsey.

Quote:
John Ramsey named everybody he could think of as being the murderer of JonBenet. They were all cleared, except for himself and Patsy.

Steve Thomas was the lead detective on the case. Because the Ramseys did not like what he had to say about them (which I happen to think was the truth) they sued him for £10M.

It seems that if you are very wealthy you can not only get away with murder but you can also get big money for simply being accused of it.

And Julie Carnes was every bit as bad as the other DA who told lies - Alex Hunter. And you already know what I think about that little attention-seeker Lou Smit, whose mad-cap theories were not even allowed in court.

.
.
.
We know Steve Thomas's role in the case, and so did Judge Carnes, so your point hardly helps the issue.

Yes, I thought you would add Judge Carnes to your ever growing list of deplorables....


What did she say that was incorrect?
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.