No announcement yet.

K Division Stations.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have found a postcard picture of Poplar Police Station (but site won't let me post if for some reason?). I'd be interested to know whether any photographs of Limehouse Station exist? Also is the section house still there?

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
      Have found a postcard picture of Poplar Police Station (but site won't let me post if for some reason?). I'd be interested to know whether any photographs of Limehouse Station exist? Also is the section house still there?
      Hi Station Cat

There is a limit on the size of an attachment. A lower resolution version might fit.
      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

If anybody has a photograph of Limehouse Police Station it'll be Monty.
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Poplar Station postcard (slightly resized);
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Joshua, that's the picture I found. I've only been able to find one photograph of Limehouse Station, but I think it must be a relatively modern photo.

But going back to Golding & Costelle, can anyone suggest an avenue of research whereby I might be able to ascertain which station they worked out of?

I also find it interesting that they were on patrol together? Did K Division have it's officers in pairs during the Whitechapel murders, or where they starting or finishing their tour of duty perhaps and making their way back to the station, picking up other officers en route?

Comment

Just to confuse matters slightly further, who was with Golding....Costello or Barrett? Seemingly like everything else Ripper related, reports vary......

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                He must have been demoted at some point, for in 1881 he was living at Enfield and gives himself as an Inspector of Police.
                Yes, I've looked into this Robert and he was promoted to inspector in Y Division on 14 April 1880 but reduced back down to sergeant on 4 November 1881, the reason given in Police Orders being:

"neglecting to properly visit the men on night duty, telling deliberate falsehoods respecting same, and returning to Station under the influence of drink."

On the same day he was transferred from Y Division to K Division and instructed to report to himself to Bow Police Station on 5 November 1881 (don't know whether that helps Station Cat).

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                  Yes, I've looked into this Robert and he was promoted to inspector in Y Division on 14 April 1880 but reduced back down to sergeant on 4 November 1881, the reason given in Police Orders being:

"neglecting to properly visit the men on night duty, telling deliberate falsehoods respecting same, and returning to Station under the influence of drink."

On the same day he was transferred from Y Division to K Division and instructed to report to himself to Bow Police Station on 5 November 1881 (don't know whether that helps Station Cat).

That is really interesting David, thank you very much for sharing it. I can only assume that following being ordered to report to Bow Street station he was then required to work from either Poplar or Limehouse sations. The crime scene appears to be bang between both stations, so unless someone has some additional information, I guess we'll never know for certain which station these officers worked from.............

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                    No worries Pat.

A list of stations serving K Div

Barkingside
                    Bow Road
                    Canning Town
                    Chadwell Heath
                    East Ham
                    Forest Gate
                    Ilford
                    Isle of Dogs
                    Limehouse
                    North Woolwich
                    Plaistow
                    Poplar
                    Shadwell
                    Wanstead
                    West Ham
                    Woodford

Section Houses for K

East India Dock Rd

Monty

Monty can you tell me what the addresses for Limehouse and Poplar Police Stations were in 1888? Are they still the same as they are today?

Comment

I don't believe that Limehouse Police Station was built until slightly after 1888, so I suspect that the officers involved in the Mylett incident would have been stationed at Poplar Police Station. But whether that is where it is now I couldn't say. The picture posted of it earlier in this thread would suggest that it was on or near to the location of the current Limehouse Station?

Comment

PC 424K James ENDICOTT K Division

James ENDICOTT

Born 14 Feb 1862, in Leigh, Devon.
                        Married Esther Bone, Kensington 1884.
                        Joined the Metropolitan Police on the 7th May 1888 and posted to K Division, warrant number 73628. Given his address and the fact that Limehouse Police Station was still being built in 1888 it is highly likely that he was stationed at Poplar Police Station (given his address) at the time of (Rose Mylett murder, she was suggested Ripper victim, who was murdered at 184-186 Clarke's Yard, High Street Poplar on the 20th December 1888).
                        Lived at 74 Hind Street, Poplar. Listed on census (1891,1901 & 1911) as occupation Police Constable.
                        Gave evidence at the Old Bailey on the 26th July 1897 (at this time he was stationed at Limehouse Police Station), in a murder trial (arresting officer collar number 424K, 27th May 1897).

Retired 12 May 1913, having served his entire service in K Division (Poplar/Limehouse area) and moved to Cheltenham, Living 24 Naunton Crescent (939 registry retired constable)
                        Died 1941 Cheltenham.

Comment

Some info about Poplar Police Station :

Comment

For 1891, search for Samuel Leif born 1863, Devon (Find My Past) or Samuel Sey (Ancestry).

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                              Some info about Poplar Police Station :

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/sur...43-4/pp127-147
                              Many thanks for this Robert.

Police Station at Nos 193–195 (demolished).

¶About 1861 stables at No. 193 were taken for use by the Metropolitan Police, (fn. 232) and in 1867–8 these and the house of the builder John Jeffrey at No. 195 were adapted for use as a police station by Lathey Brothers of Battersea Park at a tendered price of £1,193 to designs by T. C. Sorby, architect. (fn. 233) This was under lease from the freeholder until the police bought the freehold in 1892. (fn. 234) In 1897–8 the site was rebuilt for the Metropolitan Police by Willmott & Sons of Hitchin at a tendered price of £9,985. (fn. 235) This was a good example of the work of the police architect, John Dixon Butler, large-scaled but well detailed, big but not intimidating — qualities which the Arts-and-Crafts style and materials were well fitted to express (Plate 23c; fig. 41). It was of three and four storeys, the latter rising to a straight-sided gable. The building was of brick, banded with stone, the main door marked by a large projecting shell-hood, the windowopenings of the lower two storeys emphatically mullioned-and-transomed in stone, and the flues grouped in two deep chimneystacks. (fn. 236) The station was closed in 1971 and subsequently demolished, being replaced by a police office in Market Way. (fn. 237)

Comment

Originally posted by PC2267 View Post
                                James ENDICOTT

Born 14 Feb 1862, in Leigh, Devon.
                                Married Esther Bone, Kensington 1884.
                                Joined the Metropolitan Police on the 7th May 1888 and posted to K Division, warrant number 73628. Given his address and the fact that Limehouse Police Station was still being built in 1888 it is highly likely that he was stationed at Poplar Police Station (given his address) at the time of (Rose Mylett murder, she was suggested Ripper victim, who was murdered at 184-186 Clarke's Yard, High Street Poplar on the 20th December 1888).
                                Lived at 74 Hind Street, Poplar. Listed on census (1891,1901 & 1911) as occupation Police Constable.
                                Gave evidence at the Old Bailey on the 26th July 1897 (at this time he was stationed at Limehouse Police Station), in a murder trial (arresting officer collar number 424K, 27th May 1897).

Retired 12 May 1913, having served his entire service in K Division (Poplar/Limehouse area) and moved to Cheltenham, Living 24 Naunton Crescent (939 registry retired constable)
                                Died 1941 Cheltenham.

On 28 May 1897, Limehouse Police Station opened for business; the next day, the Limehouse men supervised the grand opening of the Blackwall Tunnel. All went well until a Superintendent Beard was thrown from his horse, breaking his arm.

Comment

Working...
                                X