A Year of Research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Year of Research

When I joined this forum exactly one year ago (or rather re-joined it, having been a member about 15 years ago prior to a catastrophic meltdown: of the forum, not me, I hasten to add) I did not expect to carry out any JTR related research. I simply wanted to discuss issues around Charles Cross following the TV documentary that I had watched.

But that discussion led me to try and dig out newspaper reports of the Nichols inquest which led me to the London Evening Post, a much neglected resource, and this led me to some new stories on Tumblety, which led me to look for more Tumblety documents at the National Archives which led to an interest in stories that Tumblety had been investigated by a Scotland Yard detective in America which led me to researching my Suckered! Trilogy (and Quadrilogy).

In the process of carrying out the research, there were various other bits of information which I came across, none of which I felt could be fitted into any articles for publication but which might have some interest nonetheless. As I really now need to do other things, non-JTR related, I thought I would put them all up onto my website. At the very least, it will give you something to read while waiting for Pierre's next tantalising post. And there is quite a lot of reading material that I have put up here, so you might want to set aside some time if you want to go through (and hopefully enjoy) it all.

The new articles, which are exclusive for members of this forum (wow!), can only be accessed via this link:

The articles are as follows:

Anderson and The World

Contains some possible new insights into Robert Anderson's thinking due to his friendship with the editor of an influential journal.

Fred Jarvis and the Secret Cypher

Reveals the discovery of an interesting new document about secret service spying on Irish Nationalists.

Tumblety’s Bail Revisited

An important correction to my article in Ripperologist 144 which I hope everyone interested in the subject of Tumblety's bail will read.

Some Thoughts

Contains the following, fairly random, sub-articles:

The Escape of ‘Frank Thompson’

New JTR Suspect Identified [N.B. Not William Ripper and not to be taken too seriously but still genuine]

The Curious Case of the Fake Pensioner

On The Trail of the Bloodhounds

Not So Fixed Points

The Missing Hour, Found!

Reading the Writing on the Wall

They All Love Jack

My views on some of the issues raised in Bruce Robinson’s recent book, with sub-articles as follows:

The Disappearing Grapes

The Phantom Night Courts

The Phoney Police Officers

Elizabeth Stride’s Mouth

No Rewards

Police Rewards

Bad Argument

Free Postage!

Two Frightened Ladies

The Unlikely Forgery

The Two Bromleys

Letters from Mike

Jack the Singer

The Bent Death Certificates

The Conduit Street Clue

Mrs Briggs’ Something

Excluding Evidence

What Killed James Maybrick?

It Clearly Wasn’t Arsenic

Florence Maybrick’s Secret

Whispering Voices

A Grand Footnote

Operating on the Appendix

I have been reading your article on Robinson's work. Have just reached the Whispering Voices section. I haven't gotten around to They All Love Jack yet but I do so enjoy a good take down.
    I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
      When I joined this forum exactly one year ago (or rather re-joined it, having been a member about 15 years ago prior to a catastrophic meltdown: of the forum, not me, I hasten to add) I did not expect to carry out any JTR related research. I simply wanted to discuss issues around Charles Cross following the TV documentary that I had watched.

But that discussion led me to try and dig out newspaper reports of the Nichols inquest which led me to the London Evening Post, a much neglected resource, and this led me to some new stories on Tumblety, which led me to look for more Tumblety documents at the National Archives which led to an interest in stories that Tumblety had been investigated by a Scotland Yard detective in America which led me to researching my Suckered! Trilogy (and Quadrilogy).

In the process of carrying out the research, there were various other bits of information which I came across, none of which I felt could be fitted into any articles for publication but which might have some interest nonetheless. As I really now need to do other things, non-JTR related, I thought I would put them all up onto my website. At the very least, it will give you something to read while waiting for Pierre's next tantalising post. And there is quite a lot of reading material that I have put up here, so you might want to set aside some time if you want to go through (and hopefully enjoy) it all.

The new articles, which are exclusive for members of this forum (wow!), can only be accessed via this link:

The articles are as follows:

Anderson and The World

Contains some possible new insights into Robert Anderson's thinking due to his friendship with the editor of an influential journal.

Fred Jarvis and the Secret Cypher

Reveals the discovery of an interesting new document about secret service spying on Irish Nationalists.

Tumblety’s Bail Revisited

An important correction to my article in Ripperologist 144 which I hope everyone interested in the subject of Tumblety's bail will read.

Some Thoughts

Contains the following, fairly random, sub-articles:

The Escape of ‘Frank Thompson’

New JTR Suspect Identified [N.B. Not William Ripper and not to be taken too seriously but still genuine]

The Curious Case of the Fake Pensioner

On The Trail of the Bloodhounds

Not So Fixed Points

The Missing Hour, Found!

Reading the Writing on the Wall

They All Love Jack

My views on some of the issues raised in Bruce Robinson’s recent book, with sub-articles as follows:

The Disappearing Grapes

The Phantom Night Courts

The Phoney Police Officers

Elizabeth Stride’s Mouth

No Rewards

Police Rewards

Bad Argument

Free Postage!

Two Frightened Ladies

The Unlikely Forgery

The Two Bromleys

Letters from Mike

Jack the Singer

The Bent Death Certificates

The Conduit Street Clue

Mrs Briggs’ Something

Excluding Evidence

What Killed James Maybrick?

It Clearly Wasn’t Arsenic

Florence Maybrick’s Secret

Whispering Voices

A Grand Footnote

Operating on the Appendix
      Thanks David
      are these articles you've listed ones you have written, or have found and posted (written by other people)?

Comment

Thanks Shaggyrand.

Abby - they are all original articles written by me.

Just to note that in JTR Forums, Chris G has identified one error of mine where I carelessly typed Berner's Yard instead of Dutfield's Yard in the Bruce article and I will correct this.

Comment

Dear David

I am simply astounded at the amount of work you do.
          Working my way over it all.
          So refreshing from some of the stuff being posted or not on site at present

Many thanks

Comment

Thank you very much Elamarna.

Comment

David,

You have the bug. Isn't it awesome! Honestly, the goal should be to increase the pool of 'reliable knowledge'. The future's bright!

Great work, David.

Mike
              The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
              http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Thank you Mike.

Comment

David, I hope you stick around here. You really get down to the nitty-gritty on these issues.

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                    Thanks Shaggyrand.

Abby - they are all original articles written by me.

Just to note that in JTR Forums, Chris G has identified one error of mine where I carelessly typed Berner's Yard instead of Dutfield's Yard in the Bruce article and I will correct this.
                    Thanks David. Best of luck. Hope you drop in from time to time.

Comment

Thanks both, I'm sure I won't vanish completely but I've rather run out of JTR topics to research and, as I mentioned, I have other things I need to do.

Robert - one thing I've wanted to say to you for a while. Back in the Commendations thread you mentioned the "curious notes" next to the names of prisoners in the After-Trial Calendars such as X24727 or A24727. These are Home Office file references in respect of files relating to the individual prisoners concerned. Occasionally they still exist, and can be found by searching on the National Archives catalogue, but the majority have been destroyed.

Comment

OK, thanks David.

Comment

Another silly error has been pointed out to me. Tumblety's alias wasn't Frank Thompson it was Frank Townsend. So I've now corrected that.

Comment

Sigxaritiria kai mpravo sou!

Pierre

Comment

Working...
                            X