Finding Jack - Methodology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding Jack - Methodology

Hi all I'm fairly new to this forum so I thought I take a chance to share a few random thoughts.

Firstly, JTR is a favorite subject of my wifes. I got into whole this by arrogantly stating one night that a little bit of dilligent research would easlily identify the killer - oh how wrong I was! However, it did give me a new hobby to keep me out of mischief.

So how do we find Jack?

Well I think that communities such as this are a good start, here a diverse range of enthusiasts can share knowledge and bash about theories and perhaps one day strike gold - I cite wikipedia as an example of the potential for such collaboration.

Where do we start?

Wherever we want. We all come at this from different angles and one day we might all meet each other in the middle, at this intersection we'll find our killer.

Here's what I'm doing - thoughts please:

I admit defeat on trying to find JTR soley by deductive reasoing. There are simply too many gaps in the data to make this possible. I think that a more inductive approach is needed or more accuratly a creative approach. What I am trying is to start with a single fact or set of facts, then take a flyer on a theory which seems to be consistent with these facts and develop this theory untill it either falls flat on its face or proves viable. The big problem here is once a person has a theory there is a tendency to hold onto it in the face of overwhelming evidence against it. As such I welcome harsh and destructive testing of any therory I hope that other memebers respect my such treatment of their theories - which I assure them will always be undertaken with respect and good manners. I'm about to post another, hopefully less rambling thread on my thoughts on the evolution of the killer's MO (no suspects will be mentioned) please feel free to destroy it that's what I'm looking for

You can find Jack without actually finding Jack.
    I search the victorian national and local newspapers on a daily basis and find Jack all the time, it doesn't mean it's the correct Jack, but it is a Jack.
    Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Poland View Post

Firstly, JTR is a favorite subject of my wifes.
      You're a lucky guy, Harry.

Do they all share the same theory ?

Amitiés,
      David

Comment

She prefers the fact that the ripper is unkown. It preserves the mystery. Something about the chase being better than the catch. She's probably right if we ever did find Jack what could I do on a Tuesday afternoon, I'd have to get on with the work that I should actually be doing right now

Comment

Harryt P.,

Well I think that communities such as this are a good start, here a diverse range of enthusiasts can share knowledge and bash about theories and perhaps one day strike gold

Alas, it doesn't really work that way. For instance, on the basis of a survey taken at the 2007 Wolverhampton JtR conference, the attendees represented more than 2,500 years of Ripper study. A great time was had by all, some very interesting papers were presented and Jack was much discussed, but despite all the years of study and many of the best and brightest in the field being there no great insights resulted.

Moreover, Wikis are good at collecting information but not finding solutions. In fact, Casebook has its own JtR Wiki, under the able direction of John Bennett, that seems under-utilized..

However, what a forum like Casebook is ideal for is the opportunity for students to present ideas, even full-blown theories and then endure some peer review. Committees critique, individuals create.

Don.
          "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Working...
          X