Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal London Hospital Museum

Hello there,

Today, while searching for fiction purpose on wikipedia, I found this paragraph under the Royal London Hospital entry:

"The Royal London has a museum which is located in the crypt of a 19th-century church. It reopened in 2002 after extensive refurbishment and is open to the public free of charge. The museum covers the history of the hospital since its foundation in 1740 and the wider history of medicine in the East End. It includes works of art, surgical instruments, medical and nursing equipment, uniforms, medals, documents and books. There is a forensic medicine section which includes original material on Jack the Ripper, Dr Crippen and the Christie murders. There are also displays on Joseph Merrick (the 'Elephant Man') and former Hospital nurse Edith Cavell.[6][7] A former Curator of the Museum was the noted surgeon Thomas Horrocks Openshaw.[8]

The Royal London's archives contain documents dating back to 1740, including complete patient records since 1883."

I'm sure several members of this fine website are familiar with this, I was just wondering if anyone found anything of interest in this museum. (Not talking about overlooked clues, but just general interest of the era, place, and JtR related artifacts.

Cheers!

EDIT- I did go to the website of the museum, but couldn't find anything yet.
    Last edited by SirJohnFalstaff; 11-09-2015, 03:44 PM.
    Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
    - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Hi SirJohn,

Here are two articles I wrote pertaining to the museum and the elephant man. I have more, but that's for the Ripper conference in April!

Sincerely,

Mike
    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Working...
    X