Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Descenadants of victims, witnesses, police, officials, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Descenadants of victims, witnesses, police, officials, etc.

On one of the most developed of recent threads (under "Suspects: General") a newcomer, Pierre, has caused much discussion about a current theory he is working on which he claims he is certain about working to a total solution of the mystery of the identity of "Jack". I am not concerned here about Pierre's work - he is fully capable to defend his researches and decision not to go into any detail as of yet on them. But I did note that one of the others on that thread made a comment as to whether of not any of the victim's descendants had ever made contact with us or anywhere about still seeking answers on the now 127 year old mystery.

Except for some descendants of Annie Chapman (who were kind enough to submit a photo of that poor woman in a happier period of her life) has any descendant of the other canonical five (or the other possible victims) ever contacted any of us about the case in any respect?

This also goes to the issues of whether any witnesses' descendants reached out to modern investigators, or any of the descendants of the police or Home Office and Government officials showed the least interest in what we were doing here or on other similar websites.

I did not say it above, except to use the word "etc.", but this even includes relatives or descendants of suspects. It is not as crazy as it sounds. In the recent study on George Chapman some of his descendants did contact the author. And if one looks at the Wikipedia article on the 1903 "Finchley Baby Farming Case" that led to the executions of Annie Sachs and Annie Walters, a descendant of Sachs is mentioned in a newspaper item among the clippings cited at the end of that article.

I don't know how far this particular thread will go (several of my recent attempts at starting threads got nowhere fast), but I am hoping this will open up a little. I said before the Whitechapel Murders are 127 years ago. It would be nice if some movement due to contacting connected parties could be made. Even if it leads to cul-de-sacs, it may help answer questions.

Jeff

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post

Except for some descendants of Annie Chapman (who were kind enough to submit a photo of that poor woman in a happier period of her life) has any descendant of the other canonical five (or the other possible victims) ever contacted any of us about the case in any respect?
    Hi Jeff,

Philip Hutchinson is on film giving a tour of the murder sites to a descendent of Polly Nichols, and a couple of Eddowes' descendants have attended a conference and continue to keep in touch with some Ripperologists. Neil Bell, on another thread, mentioned taking one to the Jack the Ripper Museum, where she signed the guest book. I believe other family members of non-canonicals have communicated with people in the field.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
      Hi Jeff,

Philip Hutchinson is on film giving a tour of the murder sites to a descendent of Polly Nichols, and a couple of Eddowes' descendants have attended a conference and continue to keep in touch with some Ripperologists. Neil Bell, on another thread, mentioned taking one to the Jack the Ripper Museum, where she signed the guest book. I believe other family members of non-canonicals have communicated with people in the field.

JM
      Hi JM,

Now the issue becomes do they wish to maintain a degree of privacy or to distance themselves from the sordid situation in the case (i.e., that the victims were engaged in prostitution when killed). Even if the individual is doing something famous in his or her career, that does not translate to their descendants wanting the tragedy brought back to their family. Of course if the victim is well known enough (like Robert Lincoln being the sole son of Abraham Lincoln to live to adulthood and have any career at all), it can't always be avoided.

Jeff

Comment

Except for JM there were no responses on this thread. I would still be curious if anyone has been in touch with all kinds of descendants of individual involved or linked to the case. Most of those mentioned by JM were relatives of victims, but what of police or witnesses, or even suspects?

Jeff

Comment

Except for JM there were no responses on this thread. I would still be curious if anyone has been in touch with all kinds of descendants of individual involved or linked to the case. Most of those mentioned by JM were relatives of victims, but what of police or witnesses, or even suspects?

Jeff
          I believe Rob House has been in contact with some relatives of Kosminski, as has Russell Edwards.

Adam Wood is in regular contact with Donald Swanson's Great-Grandson Nevill (who has also attended conferences in the past).

Comment

Descendants

My great uncle was Henry Cox the detective that followed a chap thought to be Jack.
            Pat.......

Comment

On one of the most developed of recent threads (under "Suspects: General") a newcomer, Pierre, has caused much discussion about a current theory he is working on which he claims he is certain about working to a total solution of the mystery of the identity of "Jack". I am not concerned here about Pierre's work - he is fully capable to defend his researches and decision not to go into any detail as of yet on them. But I did note that one of the others on that thread made a comment as to whether of not any of the victim's descendants had ever made contact with us or anywhere about still seeking answers on the now 127 year old mystery.

This also goes to the issues of whether any witnesses' descendants reached out to modern investigators, or any of the descendants of the police or Home Office and Government officials showed the least interest in what we were doing here or on other similar websites.

I did not say it above, except to use the word "etc.", but this even includes relatives or descendants of suspects. It is not as crazy as it sounds. In the recent study on George Chapman some of his descendants did contact the author. And if one looks at the Wikipedia article on the 1903 "Finchley Baby Farming Case" that led to the executions of Annie Sachs and Annie Walters, a descendant of Sachs is mentioned in a newspaper item among the clippings cited at the end of that article.

I don't know how far this particular thread will go (several of my recent attempts at starting threads got nowhere fast), but I am hoping this will open up a little. I said before the Whitechapel Murders are 127 years ago. It would be nice if some movement due to contacting connected parties could be made. Even if it leads to cul-de-sacs, it may help answer questions.

Jeff
              Ed stow who used to post here under the name lechmere is related to the same witness/suspect. He still posts on the other forum.

Of course there's prosector, who is related to (perhaps) Mary Kelly's husband.

Comment

If I am not mistaken I think that there were some members of the Druitt family still around, in Australia or England.

From a letter I got in the 1990s I learned there were still relatives of Dr. Neill Cream living in Toronto - but they did not want to discuss him.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  My great uncle was Henry Cox the detective that followed a chap thought to be Jack.
                  Pat.......
                  Hi Pat,

As far as you know did your family mention any other cases great uncle Henry was involved in (known ones, that is - ones people still discuss)?

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                  X