the victims werent prostitutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    I don’t understand why this is in any way suspicious? Locally dignitaries and prominent citizens gather at a celebration of the career of a local retiring police officer. Of course some didn’t attend the gathering but what can be read into that? I personally can’t see anything suspicious in any of this.
    Two McCarthies at your leaving do? One would have been suspicious enough.

Comment

• Hi Herlock,

The guest list was certainly interesting.

John McCarthy was neither a locally dignitary nor a prominent citizen. He was a slum landlord.

Regards,

Simon
      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
        Hi Herlock,

John McCarthy was neither a locally dignitary nor a prominent citizen. He was a slum landlord.

Regards,

Simon
        John MCarthy was a freemason might have had something to do with it ?

Comment

Hi Herlock,

Regards,

Simon
          But a prominent 'slum landlord' who probably left more in his will than all the other guests put together?

Comment

Hi Herlock,

Regards,

Simon
            In H Division terms? You're having a giraffe, surely?

Comment

• Hi Mr Barnett,

Dignitaries and prominent citizens aren't all about money.

Regarding Trevor's comment about McCarthy being a Freemason, I wouldn't rule it out but cannot yet pinpoint him to a particular Lodge.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi Herlock,

Regards,

Simon
                A number of those 'slums' were owned by west-end businesses men, some even by the church.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Indeed. Lord Salisbury owned decaying properties in Cecil Court, off the Charing Cross Road.

In the 1950s, the Church owned all the brothels in Sussex Gardens, Paddington. God moves in a mysterious way, His wonders to perform.

Comment

Hi Mr Barnett,

Regarding Trevor's comment about McCarthy being a Freemason, I wouldn't rule it out but cannot yet pinpoint him to a particular Lodge.

Regards,

Simon
                    Hi Simon
                    My information is that it was Kings head Lodge

Comment

• Perhaps McCarthy was a social-climber who had offered to contribute cash to the occasion. A bit of LVE ‘networking.’ Even a Slum Landlord might have wanted to present himself as a respectable businessman, pillar-of-the-community type worthy of respect. What better way than thanking a local Police Officer for his years of service?
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Hi Mr Barnett,

Regards,

Simon
                        That's' true, Simon. I recall Debra finding a report of a Catholic charity function attended by McCarthy and co and there was another I dug out describing a free Christmas bean feast thrown for hundreds of his customers and paid for by Marie Kendal.

Then there was the occasion when several of the 'Lords of Spitalfields' came to the assistance of William Thick when he was being attacked by a group of roughs.

So, McCarthy was not only a prominent local businessman, but also something of a philanthropist and a defender of the law - surely that cv alone would have got him a ticket to Abberline's do. And if he was a Freemason on top of it all, he'd be sure to get an invite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                          Perhaps McCarthy was a social-climber who had offered to contribute cash to the occasion. A bit of LVE ‘networking.’ Even a Slum Landlord might have wanted to present himself as a respectable businessman, pillar-of-the-community type worthy of respect. What better way than thanking a local Police Officer for his years of service?
                          My thoughts exactly, H.

There needn't be anything suspicious about McCarthy and his minor celeb son attending such an event.

Comment

• I don't know if I'm remembering right, but didn't McCarthy have political aspirations? A bit of cleaning up the image would have been a good move.

Comment

• Just as a side issue, one of the aspects of the case that has always raised my eyebrows is why did McCarthy allow Mary Kelly to run up such large rent arrears? It’s probably not a fact that he’d have wanted known. He wouldn’t have wanted to be known as a soft touch and I’m assuming that Mrs Mac might have wondered why he was allowing the young, attractive Mary to run up a debt (although do we know if she had any involvement in the business?)

I’m pretty rusty on this but what do we know of McCarthy that might hint toward his character?
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Indeed. Lord Salisbury owned decaying properties in Cecil Court, off the Charing Cross Road.

In the 1950s, the Church owned all the brothels in Sussex Gardens, Paddington. God moves in a mysterious way, His wonders to perform.

I recall going on a London Walk along the Thames and being told about ‘The Winchester Geese’ who were prostitutes in brothels owned by the Bishop Of Winchester in the 17th century. Pastoral care in the fullest sense.
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X