No announcement yet.

Walter Sickert: Whitechapel Murderer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm interested in the titles Sicket gave his paintings.
    "The Barnacle Woman" -- was she a woman who sold barnacles, or a woman who sticks to her male companion like a barnacle?
    I think the latter, as she seems too nicely dressed for the former.
    He had a sense of humor, did Mr. Sickert.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

Hi Pat,

I think it's a reference to the barnacle goose feathers in her hat.

Gary.
      Last edited by MrBarnett; 02-28-2016, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
        Hi Pat,

I think it's a reference to the barnacle goose feathers in her hat.

Gary.
        Hello, Gary,
        Thank you very much for explaining that!
        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by BTCG View Post
          Certainly there is. Using equipment purchased to break the law is the responsibility of the owner of the equipment. Sickert's stationary was used to send confession letters. Sickert is responsible for its use.
          By "confession letters", I'm guessing what is meant is one of the many letters sent to the Yard which are generally thought to be hoaxes. Which letters, exactly? And why would they become genuine rather than hoaxes, just because the author is identified? Perhaps Sickert felt like messing with the investigators, for the same reasons other hoax authors did?

Whoever authored a hoax letter is completely uninteresting. First establish which - if any - of the letters are genuine. Then, and only then, does authorship become interesting.

Comment

Even if Sickert's stationery was used to pen a letter to the authorities, it does not mean that Sickert himself penned the letter and it certainly does not put him in the frame for murder.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
              What, is it the weekend already? My answer...zero, zip, zilch, not a chance. Sickert was across the Channel doing art at nearly all of the relevant times.
              Says who? It's not been completely proven he was in France during the time period.

Columbo

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                Even if Sickert's stationery was used to pen a letter to the authorities, it does not mean that Sickert himself penned the letter and it certainly does not put him in the frame for murder.
                Even if he penned it on his own paper, he's not in the frame. For anything other than being a pest. There were over 1,000 letters sent, by hundreds of different hands if you want to use letters to prove someone to be Jack you need to explain how you cherry pick which handful of letters were from the killer.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I agree, especially when you look at his artwork.

Comment

Working...
                  X