Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the dogs used in investigation

Hi everyone
    i am wondering if anyone can help me with information on the bloodhounds used in the investigation.
    I have only found brief mention of this and would be grateful of any further information as to what capacity they were used and what if anything was found due to there involvement,
    i have found brief mentioning of one of the times they were used having been successful but i am struggling to find any detailed accounts of this.

Can anyone shed any light on this.

Miss c

Miss C,

The article "Dog-gone" in Issue four of the New Independent Review should answer all your questions. Get in touch with me and I'll see you get the back issue.

Don Souden
    Editor, New Independent Review.
    "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

That's very kind of you Don!

Miss C,

Basically they played no part. They're interesting only because it is part of the Ripper story but they provided no value to the actual detection of Jack.

Cheers
      DRoy

Comment

It would seem that the person who asked for more information on the use of bloodhounds and other canines during the Ripper investigations didn't care enough to avail her/his-self of the offer of a free copy of an in-depth report on that question.

However, anyone who like such a copy -- gratis -- can write to newindyreview@aol.com and request a copy. Offer ends on May 19, 2013.

Don Souden,
        editor - New Independent Review
        "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Barnaby and Burgho

Hi Don

I'm amazed at the lack of response...and at your more than kind offer...to which I have responded in an email!

Thank you

Dave

Comment

I know the person who works as the liaison between the medical examiner's office in town south of here, and the funeral home that handles most of the morgue cases (when a body has been in the ME's possession for a while, it needs a lot of extra work, and the city has a contract to provide it using students studying to be morticians, under the supervision of licensed morticians, and it's all free to the family, if they want it, and there's also paperwork as far as samples that are saved, and whether the family wants them back, and the funeral postponed until they have the whole entire body, whether they want any sample buried, cremated, or stored indefinitely-- the liaison deals with the family and handles all this.

Anyway, so she got to know the guy who was the dog-handler for the cadaver dogs (two Blood Hounds, a Basset for small spaces, and a German Shepherd to sort of herd the other three, and keep track of where they are, and also be there in case search & rescue is necessary).

They started dating. She lived across the street from me, and we used to have coffee together a lot, and I used to hear great stories. One time, they brought the dogs out, because a local college student was missing, and she needed heart medication.

When they started with the dogs, at the last place the student was known to have been (seen on videotape), there were people there with missing relatives begging the dog-handler "If you find my ________-[fill in relationship], please tell the police."

Like the dog handler, and the police with him would really find a body, and say "Nope, not the right one," and just leave it there.

Comment

New Indie

Having availed myself of Don Souden's generous offer (see Post 4 above) I can confirm that the article therein regarding Barnaby and Burgho (and others) is a really thorough investigation into their use/non-use...Well worth a read - as in fact is the whole issue - let's hope Don can get it up and running again.

All the best

Dave

Comment

A little over a week ago I offered those interested in more information on the saga of the bloodhounds a free copy of Issue 4 of the New Independent Review which included the article "Dog-gone" that is an in-depth look at the use of dogs in the Ripper investigation. Several did avail themselves of the offer, which will remain in effect until Sunday, May 19.

In addition to the article mentioned, the issue also contains "Murder by Design," which examines the career of Dr. George Bagster Phillips, by Cris Malone; "The Indictment," which details a neat bit of detective work by Ripperologists, penned by Joe Chetcuti; "Possibly the Work of an Imitator," an examination of the medical evidence in the Eddowes murder, written by Lynn Cates, and "The Wimbledon Killer," a true-crime storey by Siobhan Patricia Mulcahy.

The issue is available upon request at newindyreview@aol.com

Don Souden,
                Editor - New Independent Review.

Comment

New Indie

Folks I'm unashamedly pushing this particular thread/mailing - I've seen only a couple of issues but the New Indie is clearly a more than worthwhile institution, and if Don is succesful in getting it off the ground again (following his ill health) then I'll be one of the first to consider a subscription.

There's another 7 or 8 days before Don's offer of a free copy expires - please do take advantage of something free...and consider the future possibility of something very cheap!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Its got my photos of the actual kennels used to home the hounds.

There, that should get the punters in.

Monty
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                      Its got my photos of the actual kennels used to home the hounds.

There, that should get the punters in.

Monty
                      Well that does it then....I'm in!
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Everyone:

Not just Neil's photos but also the exciting tale of his being warned off the property the second time he made the trip. That alone should put the issue in the collector's item category.

Don.

Comment

Hi all,

I am ashamed to admit to all of you, especially Don, that although I saw this thread weeks back, I never bothered to look at it. Therefore I missed out on his generous offer at a look at his article. Chalk this up to my snobery to Burgo and his mate because they failed so spectacularly. Or to the fact that I live with a ***** cat as a pet.

However, I was riffling through the Brooklyn Eagle for possible leads concerning a thread about a report regarding a woman from Halifax (presumably Nova Scotia - there is some debate about this) and her hearing the latest rumor about the Ripper from a "high personage" in London in the summer of 1890. I found nothing yet about that, but by accident I found this in the Brooklyn Eagle (Friday, June 21, 1889; p. 6). Don if you found this first just tell me. If not, you might find this interesting.

It's a paragraph long only. The squib states that the two bloodhounds had been brought to the port of New York (on a ship called the "Holland" that was a "National" Steamship) and docked at 59th Street on the Hudson (referred to in the article as "the North River"). Then it tells us the dogs did not belong to Scotland Yard, but to Sir Charles Warren! He sold them to one John L. Winchell of Fair Haven, Vt. for $1,000.00 each (roughly 1,000 pounds in 1889 - a considerable sum). There is a description of them: "They are black and tan color and about the height of a mastiff with smooth glistening coats and long heads and ears."

How true this report is I cannot state...I'm just repeating it here for completion. However, the conclusion of the item in the Eagle mentions the dogs were being taken off the ship and would briefly be exhibited to the public.

Imagine if there are descendant dogs of those two bloodhounds, now in New England!

Jeff

Comment

Burnaby and Burgho, the bloodhounds Edwin Brough owned used in the trials in Hyde Park, October 1888, that Sir Charles Warren attended.
                            Christopher T. George
                            Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                            just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                            For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                            RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post

Burnaby and Burgho, the bloodhounds Edwin Brough owned used in the trials in Hyde Park, October 1888, that Sir Charles Warren attended.
                              Let me tell you, they are darn fine examples of the breed.
                              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
                              X