Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

55 yr old pedestrian killed on 401, Ontario, Canada.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 yr old pedestrian killed on 401, Ontario, Canada.

Details have been slow in coming out, the police have been tight-lipped over this incident. This morning they admitted the victim was a Waterloo Region Police Officer, but that foul play is not suspected.

I have not spoke about this as I was not sure what direction this investigation was going to go.

The incident occurred right in front of me. I was the only eyewitness besides the truck driver who was involved.
    What I saw was a suicide.

On Wednesday morning, August 8th, just after 10:00 am I was driving behind a transport truck in the inside lane, on the 401, westbound, between the Homer-Watson & Cedar Creek exits.
    As we passed under the Roseville road overpass there is a bend in the road, at this point the truck ahead of me swerved into the center lane, I was just following him over (whatever he saw, I need to react the same), and there was a man walking in the inside lane towards the shoulder, I just saw him for a second, then he turned and threw himself in front of the truck that had just swerved to avoid him.

The driver did react the best he could but he couldn't stop. These 20 ton trucks do not stop on a dime.
    I pulled up beside the body laid in the inside lane and used my truck to create a diversion for traffic following behind so the body was not run over.
    Other cars pulled up and we all approached the body, blood loss was massive. If he was not dead at this point it looked like he soon would be. He was not moving.
    One of the passers-by was a paramedic, he felt for a pulse and phoned emergency services. I walked on down to the truck involved that had pulled over on the shoulder on the hiway.
    The driver was in shock, he was not able to say much. I held him up for a second, and told him I saw what happened and would be his witness. I sat him down on the step of the truck and had to return to my vehicle as traffic was backed up now and we needed to do some traffic control.

The police arrived & I gave a statement, and downloaded my dash-cam from my truck so they can see just what happened.

The police have yet to say it was a suicide. The officer had been charged with crimes involving prostitution. Apparently he had been caught in a sex-crime sting operation and ended up in jail. The sergeant on duty found out he was a cop and released him with no restrictions and no conditions. This sergeant is now facing charges of misconduct.

Here's a few links.
    The pedestrian hit and killed on Highway 401 in Cambridge Thursday was a former Waterloo Regional Police Service officer who was facing a sex crime charge.

OPP are investigating after a pedestrian was hit this morning on Highway 401 westbound near Homer Watson Boulevard in Cambridge.

No matter how bad a day we are having, there's always someone having a worse day.
    Last edited by Wickerman; 08-10-2018, 01:47 PM.
    Regards, Jon S.

It’s not often you become part of the news Jon. That’s a tragic story but well done to you for your actions after the incident
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Wow. I didn't even hear about that.

I guess by the time I got to watch the news it was all about the shooting in the Maritimes.

Sounds like everyone pulled together to do the right thing.
      “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Working...
      X