Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Paddy, Hi rjpalmer!

Thanks.

As I wrote "Beforehand, what I write now is more a story than facts. But maybe there also is some truth in that... As mentioned above this is just a story, no proof...Of course, just speculation, but people who have interest in Kosminski can find some inspiration for new ideas."

I myself do not believe in this "timeline". I don´t think that we can find Kominski behind each report.

The talkative lunatic, if Cutbush, would be a good example. This also could have happened in other cases.

Anderson (Blackwoods):

I will only add that when the individual whom we suspected was caged in an asylum, the only person who had ever had a good view of the murderer at once identified him

At least it would be conceivable that, if Kosminski had been an inmate of an asylum before he was brought to Colney Hatch, the police tried to act like in the case of Cutbush or other suspects.

If I´m correct, Aaron Kozminski "only speaks German" in Colney Hatch. Maybe this was a problem if he was talkative.

By the way the report of the South Eastern Gazette was 18. February 1890, not 8. February. On JTRForums, Howard posted the same report a few years ago:

In my opinion it makes sense that the City Police were watching Kosminski and the Seaside Home witness was a man of one of the MET- crime scenes. Quite possible that Major Smith only thought Anderson spoke about Lawende.

Karsten.

Comment

• Hi Karsten...I finally figured out my account details and how to sign in...

Give me a couple of days to catch up on the thread

Yours Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
        Hi Karsten...I finally figured out my account details and how to sign in...

Give me a couple of days to catch up on the thread

Yours Jeff
        Long time no see Jeff.

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by S.Brett View Post
          Hi Paddy, Hi rjpalmer!

Thanks.

As I wrote "Beforehand, what I write now is more a story than facts. But maybe there also is some truth in that... As mentioned above this is just a story, no proof...Of course, just speculation, but people who have interest in Kosminski can find some inspiration for new ideas."

I myself do not believe in this "timeline". I don´t think that we can find Kominski behind each report.

The talkative lunatic, if Cutbush, would be a good example. This also could have happened in other cases.

Anderson (Blackwoods):

I will only add that when the individual whom we suspected was caged in an asylum, the only person who had ever had a good view of the murderer at once identified him

At least it would be conceivable that, if Kosminski had been an inmate of an asylum before he was brought to Colney Hatch, the police tried to act like in the case of Cutbush or other suspects.

If I´m correct, Aaron Kozminski "only speaks German" in Colney Hatch. Maybe this was a problem if he was talkative.

By the way the report of the South Eastern Gazette was 18. February 1890, not 8. February. On JTRForums, Howard posted the same report a few years ago:

In my opinion it makes sense that the City Police were watching Kosminski and the Seaside Home witness was a man of one of the MET- crime scenes. Quite possible that Major Smith only thought Anderson spoke about Lawende.

Karsten.
          Hi Karsten

I've now had chance to read through. Having myself dismissed Lawende and Schwartz as the Seaside Home witness for some time now, I'm intrigued with the idea that Kozminski himself might have given clues to the witness. Certainly requires more thought.

I think we can assume Cox gets on the trail of the suspect upto March 1889....The sweater investigation is at an end by July - August 1889, so it wouldn't have made a very good cover after July 1890.

So our man enters the asylum when McNaughten says March 1889, thats because MacNaughten wasn't there, he was working from notes and probably the notes written by Cox. And Cox says he enters a Private Asylum in Surrey, best bet as a link with an Eastend infirmary is Camberwell.

Don't forget that a heavy expenses claim was put in in December 1889....So someone was being followed at this time (Walking the Dog?)

I look forward to your posts. I'm no longer interested in anything other than the work of Kozmologists. And thank you very much for sharing this and Merry Xmas..

Yours jeff
          Last edited by Jeff Leahy; 12-12-2017, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• Hi Jeff!

Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
            Having myself dismissed Lawende and Schwartz as the Seaside Home witness for some time now, I'm intrigued with the idea that Kozminski himself might have given clues to the witness.
            I know...

I look forward to your posts. I'm no longer interested in anything other than the work of Kozmologists. And thank you very much for sharing this and Merry Xmas.
            The year 2017 is coming to the end and there's still a lot to be done. Have a nice time and Merry Christmas. See you after the new year.

Yours Karsten.

Comment

Hi Jeff!

I know...

The year 2017 is coming to the end and there's still a lot to be done. Have a nice time and Merry Christmas. See you after the new year.

Yours Karsten.
              As you know Catrin is now back on her feet and well. And we hope to continue our search of Private asylum records in the New year.

I'll have a further thought on your ideas and try and put together a detailed time line, as i see it, from Aaron first coming into contact with the police following the Berner Street murder, through to the MacNaughten report and his eventual transfer to Leavesdon, possibly taking the police comments and timelines beyond.

Had another mad idea....well perhaps a 'Loony' idea

I'm interested in Schizophrenic 'cycles' and how those patterns of 'illness' and apparent 'recovery' might fit into the time line, having read some research that the Moon indeed effects the mind,perhaps i require an astrologist?.

I've still loads of scanning to complete for the Hammersmith Nude project, but hopefully by the weekend....I can get something started

Yours Jeff

Comment

• Question

Looking through the workhouse records I found a young Jewish lad (presumably abandoned) This was in 1889 and his name was Aaron Wiseman of Goulston street. He was only 11 and at the end it stated he was passed on to the Jewish Board of Guardians.
                Would someone who was mentally ill be passed onto them also?

Pat.......

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  Looking through the workhouse records I found a young Jewish lad (presumably abandoned) This was in 1889 and his name was Aaron Wiseman of Goulston street. He was only 11 and at the end it stated he was passed on to the Jewish Board of Guardians.
                  Would someone who was mentally ill be passed onto them also?
                  Might be possible... Pat, do you have information about the Jewish Stepney Green Infirmary (off Mile End Road if I´m right)

Had another mad idea....well perhaps a 'Loony' idea
                  Welcome to my world...

I wish you success.

Karsten.

Comment

• I can only find records from 1900 on for the jews Hospital. I will keep looking....

Pat

Comment

• Royal London Hospital
                      . This institution was founded in
                      1750 and has always had close links with the Jewish
                      community. The Sophia, Talbot and Raphael wards catered for
                      Orthodox Jews and kosher food was provided. The hospital
                      also received substantial support from wealthy Jewish
                      businessmen including the Rothschilds, Samuel Lewis, Basil
                      Henriques and Samuel Montag

Pat

Comment

• Thanks Pat!

From my notes:

Nightingale (an asylum in Surrey):

“The charity’s origins can be traced back to 1840. The three original homes were called the Hand in Hand Asylum, the Widows’ Home Asylum and the Jewish Workhouse, also known as the Jewish Home. They were established in the old Jewish quarter in London’s East End to cater for the needs of poor Jewish people”

“The Hand in Hand Home occupied the following premises: 5 Duke's Place (from 1843), 22 Jewry Street (from 1850), Wellclose Square (from 1854) and 23 Well Street, Hackney (from 1878). The Widow's Home was first based at 22 Mitre Street, then 19 Duke Street (from 1850), 67 Great Prescott Street, Goodmans Fields (from 1857) and later moved next door to the Hand in Hand in 1880.
                        The Jewish Workhouse was founded in 1871 by a movement led by Solomon Green, the son of Abraham Green one of the founders of the Widow's Home. The first premises were at 123 Wentworth Street. In 1876 the Home moved to 37-9 Stepney Green.”

Later, if I´m correct, the Jewish Workhouse became the Jewish Hospital at the same address.

Maybe there are no records or are not available to the public.

Karsten.

Comment

Maybe the attack on his sister with a knife could have been the only incident that the family, the police and doctors ever having seen. Apart from some outbursts of rage.
                          The Ripper was not someone who ran around the streets brandishing a knife. We can be pretty sure there would have been reports of this if & when it happened. In fact it is far more likely that his victims never saw a knife.

The Ripper was a strangler, who, from what we can tell, only drew the knife when his victims were out cold.
                          Did Kozminski ever threaten to strangle anyone?
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• The Kosminski theorists have done a good job of appropriating Donald Swanson, and perhaps this is justified. In their view, they 'own' him.

Yet, it seems to me that it is possible to argue that the so-called Swanson marginalia is merely 'exegesis' and not endorsement. In other words, Anderson's writing is rather vague and cryptic, and Swanson is merely 'fleshing it out' with the appropriate data, since he, obviously, was there at the time, and must have discussed, probed,and argued these circumstances with Anderson on dozens of occasions. In the marginalia, he is giving his old chief's view of things.

Yes, it could be wholehearted endorsement--probably--but, for all I know, had Swanson owned a copy of Days of My Years, he could have scribbled similarly positive sounding statements in the margins of the Druitt chapter.

Thus, the assumption being made about Swanson's 1895 statement that the Ripper was a man now 'dead,' is that he is referring to the same suspect named 15+ years later in the marginalia. But 1895 is only a year after MM's famous memo, when the 'drowned doctor' became the party line. It could be a reference to Druitt, who, for whatever reason, Swanson later dropped.

Comment

• But 1895 was only a year after Macnaghten's February 1894 Memorandum wherein Kosminski's name is mentioned. It therefore seems inconceivable that Swanson would not have known the name "Kosminski" a year later and that Kosminski must be the one Swanson was referring to (mistakenly?) as then "dead".

Comment

• Hi Scott!

Did you see what Howard had posted on JTRForums today?

Post 257:

South Wales Echo, July 17, 1889

A Daring Fiend!

An ex-member of the Metropolitan Police, who was standing talking with a friend at the corner of Castle Alley, not more than forty yards distant, about the time of the occurrence, saw and heard nothing of the affair. The special patrol on this beat did not see anything to cause suspicion, and only 40 minutes previously an officer left the Castle-alley at the Aldgate High Street end, where he had been on special duty. It is stated that some 50 extra Constables from other districts were withdrawn from this neighbourhood within the past few weeks. While there is a general belief among the police that the murderer has been secreted in the district, there is another equaily strong opinion that the author of these horrible crimes is a foreign butcher.

Had he been on special duty at the southern end of Castle Alley with a view to Whitechapel High Street or had he been on special duty at the Aldgate High Street end? I think if he left Castle Alley he was walking on Whitechapel High Street.

I guess the end of the Aldgate High Street (Butchers Row) was located 80m from the southern end of Castle Alley.

It reminds me of Sergeant Stephen White (MET):

"For five nights we had been watching a certain alley behind the Whitechapel Road. It could only be entered from where we had two men posted in hiding, and persons entering the alley were under observation by the two men."

If the officer had been on special duty in Castle Alley at the end of Whitechapel High Street it could be the certain alley behind Whitechapel Road.

I know White must be treated with caution...

On the other hand the report also mentioned the Adgate High Street end (Butchers Row) and a foreign butcher. "is a foreign butcher" "sounded topical" at the time of the Mackenzie murder.

Greetings, Karsten.

Comment

Working...
                                X