Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A new BBC One documentary about one of the most infamous serial killers of all time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
    Is thIs the documentary that's about to start on BBC1 at 21:00?
    Yes. And I'm not overly impressed with it so far.. apart from Fox's acting skills!
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

After 30 mins of watching this programme, my initial verdict is... it's crap. Utterly pointless, superficial chat cobbled together as a vehicle for Fox and Wilson. Wilson stating the bleedin' obvious and Fox reacting with Oscar-nominated acting skills!

Even that CSI computerised autopsy table was utterly, UTTERY pointless. They could've scribbled on a bit of paper and demonstrated the same thing.

Verdict = rubbish

Also: Those state of the art recreations of the crime scenes!

Comment

They should have got you to do the reconstructions!

Comment

They should have got you to do the reconstructions!
          Actually, I think they employed Ikea shopfitters for the reconstructions.

Comment

"Verdict = rubbish"

You're supposed to wait for me to say "What do you think of it so far?"

Comment

Verdict.Not impressed, I have been following this case for some 54 years,and expected more expertise

Comment

Just what we need.

A BBC documentary featuring an earnest-looking Professor and his actress-assistant daintily clad in a plastic SOC outfit, examining non-existent clues whilst discussing a subject about which they know absolutely nothing.
                Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

I’ve recorded this. I don’t think I’ll bother watching it.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Pretty **** but imo did get the right suspect

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                      Just what we need.

A BBC documentary featuring an earnest-looking Professor and his actress-assistant daintily clad in a plastic SOC outfit, examining non-existent clues whilst discussing a subject about which they know absolutely nothing.
                      And not a mention of any organs being taken away by the killer, at least they got that right !

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                      Last edited by Trevor Marriott; 04-04-2019, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                        I’ve recorded this. I don’t think I’ll bother watching it.
                        Hi Herlock - good to talk with you outside of the Wallace thread.

I think you might enjoy watching the documentary. It is superficial and selective, but its a one hour piece for an audience not steeped in the crimes. You won't learn anything you don't already know, and you may even shout at the screen for some of the ommissions, but Wilson does make a couple of insightful comments and the Holmes analysis of the crimes was interesting - at least I found that interesting. I also found the geoprofiling segment interesting, their expert made a good, if not conclusive case, for taking the technique into account. However, in my view, they could have done without the suspect naming, especially since they did not take the time to make the case.

Comment

Originally posted by etenguy View Post

Hi Herlock - good to talk with you outside of the Wallace thread.

I think you might enjoy watching the documentary. It is superficial and selective, but its a one hour piece for an audience not steeped in the crimes. You won't learn anything you don't already know, and you may even shout at the screen for some of the ommissions, but Wilson does make a couple of insightful comments and the Holmes analysis of the crimes was interesting - at least I found that interesting. I also found the geoprofiling segment interesting, their expert made a good, if not conclusive case, for taking the technique into account. However, in my view, they could have done without the suspect naming, especially since they did not take the time to make the case.
                          Hi Eten,

You’re right. I shouldn’t dismiss it out of hand and my life isn’t so packed that I can’t spare an hour. It’s a pity that someone doesn’t do a serious ripper documentary. Say a ten-parter looking at all aspects of the case using people who understand the specifics of the case along with other experts (medical, scientific etc)

As an aside, it’s about time that someone did a Wallace Case documentary. Or a new one on the A6.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

It’s a pity that someone doesn’t do a serious ripper documentary. Say a ten-parter looking at all aspects of the case using people who understand the specifics of the case along with other experts (medical, scientific etc)
                            Mmm. I started rewatching the Barlow and Watts series again today (thanks Sam for the reminder). Something like tha using up-to-date info would be great.

Comment

Hi Eten,

You’re right. I shouldn’t dismiss it out of hand and my life isn’t so packed that I can’t spare an hour. It’s a pity that someone doesn’t do a serious ripper documentary. Say a ten-parter looking at all aspects of the case using people who understand the specifics of the case along with other experts (medical, scientific etc)

As an aside, it’s about time that someone did a Wallace Case documentary. Or a new one on the A6.
                              I'd like to see that, but may be a hard sell for mainstream media - though if it included the history, the victim's stories in some detail and avoided the suspect speculation and stuck to an objective review of potential culprits, it could work.

I went to the new ripper opera last night - it had some musical merit but the artistic licence they took with the crimes and the history of the victims was unfortunate in the extreme. Especially as it purported to provide an insight into the lives of the victims. I wouldn't recommend spending money on it if you hope to gain any understanding of the crimes or the victims.

Comment

Mmm. I started rewatching the Barlow and Watts series again today (thanks Sam for the reminder).
                                Thanks for the thanks. The reconstructed inquest scenes are, for my money, yet to be surpassed.
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                                X