Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nineteenth Century Songs, poems etc

Hi All,

I am a History undergraduate at Teesside University and am currently commencing a thesis examining the cultural significance of the events in Whitechapel 1888. As well as looking at gender representations in the press both inside and outside London I am very keen to examine any songs, poems or other folklore that was created at this time in connection with the Whitechapel Murders and concept of Jack the Ripper.

If anyone can point me in the direction of instances of the popular culture of the time, particularly songs, poems, short stories etc. I would be extremely greatful.

Regards,
    Carole Benson
    Last edited by CaroleB; 01-27-2009, 02:10 PM. Reason: typo

Jack the Ripper and the Myth of Male Violence by Judith R. Walkowitz might help you. It's in Feminist Studies, Vol. 8, No. 3 (Autumn, 1982), pp. 543-574.

There's also the Curse Upon Mitre Square: http://www.hollywoodripper.com/pdf/C...itreSquare.pdf

You should also try and get your hands on: Tom Cullen, 'When London Walked in Terror' which records some local stories that had built up the Ripper crimes (and collected years after the events).

regards
    Chris Lowe

Comment

Google books Poetry 19th Century Contempory and Modern books offering full views,

Google books Short Stories 19th Century Contempory and Modern books offering full views

Google books Songs 19th Century Contempory and Modern books offering full view

Lewis Carroll

Robert Louis Stevenson

H Rider Haggard
      Regards Mike

Comment

Hi Carole

By coincidence, I recently posted a short story called “A Kind of Justice” in the Creative Writing and Expression forum of these boards. Whilst looking for some suitably atmospheric songs of the time I stumbled across a writer of music hall songs called Arthur Lloyd. You may find it interesting to do an internet search for his songs.

Regards.
        "...a snapper-up of unconsidered trifles."

Comment

As well as looking at gender representations in the press both inside and outside London
          Speaking as an elderly, happy, non-PC type of bloke, can someone please explain to me what is meant by the above?

Oh, it should be 'were' rather than 'was' created. I am also a stickler for non-PC grammar.....

Not too seriously yours,

Graham
          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Arthur Lloyd was a scottish performer and singer of Music hall songs, sometimes he wrote music, but not lyrics. Most of his songs were written for him by others
            One of his most famous songs The Organ Grinder was written by G.W Hunt [ a prolific song writer] in 1865, some thirty years before the ripper murders.
            the chorus goes
            So i mourns for the loss of the girl I love,
            And I don't know where to find her;
            She's gone away from her turtle dove,
            With a nasty organ grinder.
            I have the original song sheet for this[ I would post it but I have still not worked out the picture thing yet]
            The cover shows Hunt dressed as a mid victorian coster, stove pipe hat, stripy neckchef, busy moustarch and carrying in his hands a scarlet handerchef.
            I think this image which predates the ripper by thirty years, made its way into popular culture and affected descriptions of the ripper,
            Miss Marple
            I wish someone would explai how to post pictures to me. I have a lot of images.

Comment

Hi Miss Marple,

I'd like to see them. Let me ask a stupid question first. Are these images on your computer already?

Paddy

Comment

Jonathan Goodman compiled a book of ballads and poems on historical British crimes, including one or two on Jack the Ripper, called:

Bloody Versicles: The Rhymes of Crime
                Kent State University Press, 1993

The Google has it free online!

An updated and enlarged edition of an annotated collection originally published more than 20 years ago, Bloody Versicles serves as two books in one: an anthology of ribald, moralistic, sad, yet amusing and entertaining verse relating to specific crimes; and a small encyclopedia of select criminals and their wrongdoings.Some of the "crhymes," such as "Lizzie Borden took an axe...," are famous, but most are familiar only to students of particular cases. They have been selected from sources in the United States, England and Scotland, Australia, and France and are representative of all major categories of offenses, with murder inspiring the largest section.

JM

Comment

Hi Paddy,
                  I have a photo on my computer of the Arthur Lloyd song sheet in my pictures, cos I do a lot of ebay. Pictures are easy to download onto ebay. So how do I download a picture from my computer on to the casebook please. miss Marple

Comment

Miss Marple,

Here are the instructions from Casebook:

To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Manage Attachments] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive.

A little more detail. When you choose Manage Attachments, A box will open. Click Browse. You will be directed to your My Pictures folder on your computer. Click on your image. The filename will go to the box by Browse. Then click Upload. Then click Close this window to leave Manage Attachments.

Go back to your post and put your cursuor where you want th picutre. In the icons right above where you are typing, to the right of the smiley face is a paper clip. Click it. Your filename will show. Click it. And the attachment is loaded to your Casebook post.

Paddy

Comment

files

Thanks for that information Paddy. I have just tried to upload the Arthur Lloyd cover but a sign came up saying it is too big for casebook. 1.89.MBbytes I don't understand this as there are some huge pictures on casebook, and it is ordinary sized. Urrggg technology drives me crazzzy! Miss Marple
                      Last edited by miss marple; 02-01-2009, 04:30 PM.

Comment

I FINALLY managed to reduced the photo size, now it is too small. how do you get those nice big files on casebook without exceeding the size of 293? I am a technical idiot.Here is Arthur LLOYD on the cover of the organ grinder. Written in 1865 by G.W Hunt. I think this popular song was one of the images that influenced the description of Jack the Ripper.
                        Miss Marple
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by miss marple; 02-06-2009, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X