No announcement yet.

The Paranormal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love John too, I love all his music and used to walk by the Dakota hoping to see him. Yet he wrote and sang that song in one of the most expensive places in NYC, the Dakota, in one of the most expensive cities in the world to in front of a very expensive white piano. He hardly got rid of his possessions.

I understand your point he was just saying imagine there is no need for all of this, but it is so unable to be realized it is not worth putting for this idea as some brilliant philosophy, it is flawed beyond belief.

There will always be people who will believe there is an afterlife. Some because of guilt of their own bad deeds or out of a wish for the score to be made even they will fear a hell, a reckoning for those.

We have judges here because it was designed by people to create a society where those doing wrong are kept away from the population. That system was created by the human mind in every country in the world throughout history and it is the human mind to expect this to continue in an afterlife. The general population will never live 'only for today' as evidenced by their past behavior. It is reasonable to expect they will not and to see they have not based on past performance.

It's a wish for a unicorns and rainbows kind of world. A person looking to escape from reality.

Yoko is out there beating the drum based on this song to 'Imagine peace' using the lyrics to this song as if they are some real way to achieve peace. She herself does not follow the tenets of this song. She is rich beyond belief and lives a life of materialism. I do think she is either incredibly naive to think it can be done or has another agenda for beating this drum. It does give her camera time, money, fame, makes her the center of attention always in the spotlight with a sense of power. In a more charitable vein may be a comfort to be keeping John's memory alive but I doubt that is the reason for the hoopla.

I do not believe in the idea of a ghost that hasn't moved on as if he is forced to stay here by some divine law that is punishing or a fear of the next world or something. I have seen ghosts. What they are I cannot say but personally I like the idea John has been seen as a ghost, because to me it shows he is still here and I think he's here because he wants to be here.
    Last edited by Beowulf; 06-20-2015, 10:31 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Yeah but Yoko's mad anyway.

I am constantly amazed by people who take their world view from a song.

As you say either of them saying no possession is a joke and totally hypocritical, at one point they owned 5 apartments in the building, two for them to love in, one for guests, one as a studio/office and one to store their excess possessions.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Dreams

Originally posted by harry View Post
        Two incidents I cannot explain.
        A couple of months ago,my eldest son phoned me.He asked me if I had ever had a ring with a lions head.I had,I aquired it in Berlin in 1946,w hile serving in the British army..The only ring I ever wore.I lost it soon after returning to UK..My son was born in 1950.I am sure,and he is sure the ring had never been mentioned.I asked why he was ringing.He said he had had a vivid dream,in which he was searching a cupboard in our house in UK prior to our leaving for South Australia where we now live,and he had found such a ring,and knew it had been mine.

The second incident occurred in Jamaica,at an army camp in Montego Bay. A Jamaican fellow,my age(20)at the time was employed there.We became good friends. E arly one morning he came and told me he had to go immediately to Kingston.In a dream his mother had come to his bedside and informed him she was seriously ill in Kingston and he was to go there.Show ing my sceptism,he became angry for the only time I knew him,and stated we white people would never understand his kind of people or the power they possessed.

So I believe in the abnormal in those kind of situations,but have yet to hear a compelling reason for it.
        Dreams have a long history, whether in religion, folklore, psychology, or the paranormal.
        Many cultures around the world believe in dreams as omens of the future, or a type of "clairvoyance." If your Jamacian acquaintance had known his mother was ill, then we could interpet it by the psychological label of "an anixity dream"; if he didn't know it for a fact, his culture might very well see it a foretelling dream.

You didn't say whether your son found your missing ring?
        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

EMF Meters

To anyone with an interest in paranormal activity, i have a question: EMF ( Electro Magnetic Field ) meters have become synonymous with paranormal investigations; But what is the justification for this ?.
          Have fluctuations in the EMF been correlated with other empirical data ?
          ; And if so, does that really validate it ?
          SCORPIO

Comment

I believe infrasound is supposed to produce feelings of creepiness, things seen out of the corner of the eye etc. But that wouldn't explain the train driver who heard every inner door of his train slamming shut - when he was supposedly the only person on it (can't remember the details now).

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
              I believe infrasound is supposed to produce feelings of creepiness, things seen out of the corner of the eye etc. But that wouldn't explain the train driver who heard every inner door of his train slamming shut - when he was supposedly the only person on it (can't remember the details now).
              People are invariably alone when things like this happen. Sometimes i think that anecdotal evidence is more trouble than its worth.
              SCORPIO

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpio View Post
                To anyone with an interest in paranormal activity, i have a question: EMF ( Electro Magnetic Field ) meters have become synonymous with paranormal investigations; But what is the justification for this ?.
                It's a good point and I'm skeptical regarding using all these machines. I kind of lean toward makes good tv. Seems to be no proof of their credibility. I do know Thomas Edison made a machine he claimed you could speak to ghosts through. Rather interesting.

Comment

People are invariably alone when things like this happen. Sometimes i think that anecdotal evidence is more trouble than its worth.
                  For what it's worth, a former girlfriend and myself were together once and both clearly heard a phantom telephone ringing in her house where there was no actual phone to account for it (and you'll have to take my word that all possibilities were explored). It would ring sporadically as we tried to trace its source, as if taunting us. So not everyone is alone when these things happen.

Comment

I remember when my ex and I stayed in an old pub in Chelmsford. We were woken up more than once during the night by fairly loud footsteps along the top floor, which was directly above us. We assumed they belonged to a rather inconsiderate guest.

At breakfast we mentioned this to the manager and were taken aback when he told us we had been the only ones staying that night, and in any case the top floor had no guest rooms and was unoccupied by any staff at night. He added that he wasn't surprised because the pub was haunted.

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• One night some years ago, I was lying on the sofa trying to muster the energy to go to bed when, in the dark, I heard a loud sound that went sort of like "WURRRGH!" I got up, switched on the light and investigated. It turned out to be one of my niece's battery-operated toys malfunctioning.

Comment

• Emf meters and bad wiring

Hello, Scorpio,

It does seem as if all the paranormal groups use EMF meters, but their original purpose was to detect fluctuations in electrical wiring. It does a pretty good job at that, but "detecting" the possible "energy" manipulated by ghosts... I'm not sure about that, really.
                        The Atlantic Paranormal Society states that bad wiring can lead to a "fear cage" effect which may cause people to experience increased anxiety, feelings of being watched, perhaps even hallucinations.
                        As for a scientific test of this theory, I would need to research that. The CIA supposedly looked into some ideas along these lines, such as sounds that could make people sick, but I don't think anything came of it.
                        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                        ---------------
                        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                        ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                          Hello, Scorpio,

It does seem as if all the paranormal groups use EMF meters, but their original purpose was to detect fluctuations in electrical wiring. It does a pretty good job at that, but "detecting" the possible "energy" manipulated by ghosts... I'm not sure about that, really.
                          The Atlantic Paranormal Society states that bad wiring can lead to a "fear cage" effect which may cause people to experience increased anxiety, feelings of being watched, perhaps even hallucinations.
                          As for a scientific test of this theory, I would need to research that. The CIA supposedly looked into some ideas along these lines, such as sounds that could make people sick, but I don't think anything came of it.
                          Yes, it seems that EMF meters are useful to paranormal investigators by determining natural electrical fields, if nothing else.
                          SCORPIO

Comment

• Very much into the Paranormal, have had a few experiences myself. I currently own a PSB7 Spirit Box, would love to take it to Mitre Square or Durward Street and see what i can pick up. Would look a bit of a idiot though

Comment

• Anybody get out to see Highclere Castle, home of Downton Abbey? It's supposed to be pretty haunted.

Comment

• i wonder why some constructs seem to attract supernatural lore,
                                but not others. We have all heard of haunted houses, churches, castles etc;
                                but what about haunted leisure centers, nightclubs, shopping centers, and campsites ?
                                SCORPIO

Comment

Working...
                                X