'Self inflicted' - seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ausgirl View Post
    Another strange one... female sadist? Procurer?
    Reluctant accomplice? That particular child was horribly abused. Female kidnappers don't return children as a rule, and female molesters do not abduct to practice sadism. Typically they prey on their own kids. Sadism in women tends to be intensely personal. They want to control a person's suffering from birth to death (thus hell hath no fury etc.). They don't want a kid for six hours. On the other hand, male sadist and abusers do work this way. And it's not especially uncommon for these men to have a wife, a partner, a girlfriend so victimized that they help.

An unwilling accomplice might take a child to help her partner. There are many situations is which a person cannot do anything other than what they are told because a metaphorical or literal gun is pointed at their head. But killing for someone, especially a kid is a whole other thing. It makes sense to me that she took the girl for her partner, and then returned her when he was done to save the child's life.

Not because women can't be monsters, let me be clear. When women go wrong they beat men at it every time. But this kind of torture is a guy thing. Female torture looks different. Worse than men, but still different.
    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Another strange one... female sadist? Procurer?
      Maybe I've watched too much "Ripper Street" and "Copper" in my time, but the notion that the woman was procuring a child victim for one of her clients with "special requirements" was the first thing I thought of... Was Bradford big enough to support a brothel? Or a small village?
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Yup, E - I'd go your reluctant accomplice, or my paid procurer (or any other sort of not-so-reluctant accomplice).

Probably more inclined to go the former, actually; can't think of why on earth a procurer would bring her back in that state.. or at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
          Maybe I've watched too much "Ripper Street" and "Copper" in my time, but the notion that the woman was procuring a child victim for one of her clients with "special requirements" was the first thing I thought of... Was Bradford big enough to support a brothel? Or a small village?
          But there again - being offered enough money, if you're desperate enough, might lead a woman to do something she doesn't want to, or wouldn't normally dream of. So procurer-with-a-conscience is about neck and neck with the reluctant accomplice again.

Pcdunn -- I am such a mad, mad fan of Ripper Street... I must spazz about it soon in the appropriate thread. And WHY did they take Copper away?! WHY?

Anyway. This thread is a great excuse to trawl old papers, one of my favourite things to do.

Comment

Pcdunn -- I am such a mad, mad fan of Ripper Street... I must spazz about it soon in the appropriate thread. And WHY did they take Copper away?! WHY?

Anyway. This thread is a great excuse to trawl old papers, one of my favourite things to do.
            "Ripper Street" was great. I hear it may be returning somewhere, somehow, but no sign of it yet here.
            "Copper", as far as I know, is returning, as previous episodes are available On Demand now. Sorry if they took it away in your neck of the woods...
            Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
            ---------------
            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
            ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
              Bradford was a prosperous textile town in the last half of the 19th century. It had a population of over 216,300 people in the borough alone in 1891. More than enough for a red light district. Weren't there worries about 'the white slave trade' and females being kidnapped to supply it at that time?

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                Bradford was a prosperous textile town in the last half of the 19th century. It had a population of over 216,300 people in the borough alone in 1891. More than enough for a red light district. Weren't there worries about 'the white slave trade' and females being kidnapped to supply it at that time?
                Is Bedford a town white slavers would go? I mean, London, sure. It's big, they've heard of it, it has boats to get cargo out. But Bedford? Isn't that the English equivalent to Kansas?

One of these United States that not only has never had white slavers, but remains one of seven states that never even had general rumors of white slavery, making Kansas a cultural anomaly worthy of a mention in a social psych class.

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
                  Is Bedford a town white slavers would go? I mean, London, sure. It's big, they've heard of it, it has boats to get cargo out. But Bedford? Isn't that the English equivalent to Kansas?

One of these United States that not only has never had white slavers, but remains one of seven states that never even had general rumors of white slavery, making Kansas a cultural anomaly worthy of a mention in a social psych class.
                  Bedford or Bradford??

Show's how well known it is.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hi all

I believe Belgium was one destination of the white slave traders, at least according to the press, IIRC there was an enquiry which found that it was moral panic largely without substance, although it did state that any women who did end up there were 'in the trade' already so to speak.

I actually thought female impersonator for the Bradford case, but it is disturbing to think we may have something like the Moors murderers in the 19th century. I think it's possible there were a couple of vagrants wandering around but it's something that will require a lot more research.

All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                      Bedford or Bradford??

Show's how well known it is.
                      I drive through Bedford County every day. So that was some weird cognitive car wreck in my head.

Bradford has pears right?

Comment

Annie Farmer was also suspected of inflicting injuries upon herself.
                        I find the allegations absurd.
                        SCORPIO

Comment

Working...
                        X