Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - by Batman 1 minute ago.
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - by Sam Flynn 8 minutes ago.
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - by Batman 8 minutes ago.
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - by Fisherman 11 minutes ago.
Catherine Eddowes: Eddowes V-shape wounds are scissors I think - by Joshua Rogan 12 minutes ago.
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - by Abby Normal 17 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - (55 posts)
Abberline, Inspector Frederick: Hinting at something? - (17 posts)
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - (15 posts)
Catherine Eddowes: Eddowes V-shape wounds are scissors I think - (11 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - (10 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: New suspect book. - (8 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > General Suspect Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-15-2017, 04:16 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is online now
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 4,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Station Cat View Post
Clearly no shortage of local suspects then.
None at all.

Add in Hutchinson, Thompson theclist goes on and on

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-15-2017, 04:23 AM
Harry D Harry D is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Station Cat View Post
Certainly very interesting and beggars the question did he choose the location first and just await a victim or did he pick the victim first and seem which location they ended up in?

In Tom Wescott's book he makes a very compelling argument that "Jack" was mooching around Bucks Row well before he met Polly......
If Nichols was soliciting, wouldn't she be more inclined to do it along Whitechapel Road, rather than a backstreet? Buck's Row was most likely where she went after picking up a punter, who was almost certainly her killer. I can't imagine her hanging around there long once the deal was done.
__________________
Hail to the king, baby!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-15-2017, 04:26 AM
Elamarna Elamarna is online now
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 4,281
Default

One thinng one does need to remember is that central London is small.
Covent Garden which many would say is West End is only a 15/20 minute brisk walk away from Whitechapel. Almost a straight road from Tralfalgar square, which incidentally is where one poster has previously suggested his unnamed suspect rented a room.


And of course when we say local do we just mean those who lived local? What about those working local? Cutbush fits that.

Was the killer local?

Very probabily, but traveling a relatively short distance should not be discounted.



Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-15-2017, 04:50 AM
Premium Member
The Station Cat The Station Cat is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
If Nichols was soliciting, wouldn't she be more inclined to do it along Whitechapel Road, rather than a backstreet? Buck's Row was most likely where she went after picking up a punter, who was almost certainly her killer. I can't imagine her hanging around there long once the deal was done.
Very good point and well made!!!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-15-2017, 04:51 AM
Premium Member
The Station Cat The Station Cat is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
One thinng one does need to remember is that central London is small.
Covent Garden which many would say is West End is only a 15/20 minute brisk walk away from Whitechapel. Almost a straight road from Tralfalgar square, which incidentally is where one poster has previously suggested his unnamed suspect rented a room.


And of course when we say local do we just mean those who lived local? What about those working local? Cutbush fits that.

Was the killer local?

Very probabily, but traveling a relatively short distance should not be discounted.



Steve

Another very good point!!!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-15-2017, 05:10 AM
yen_powell yen_powell is offline
Cadet
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Essex
Posts: 41
Default

I live 50 miles away from Whitechapel, but 30 plus years of working in the area mean I know my way round there better than when I am at home. I can even navigate my way round a borough map without street names as the pattern is so familiar

In fact, when I close a road to carry out works I am often surprised to find that local people don't know an alternative route back to their home or work place as they have always used the route I have just shut.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-15-2017, 05:14 AM
Premium Member
The Station Cat The Station Cat is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yen_powell View Post
I live 50 miles away from Whitechapel, but 30 plus years of working in the area mean I know my way round there better than when I am at home. I can even navigate my way round a borough map without street names as the pattern is so familiar

In fact, when I close a road to carry out works I am often surprised to find that local people don't know an alternative route back to their home or work place as they have always used the route I have just shut.

Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-15-2017, 05:16 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,605
Default

hutch was local, so much so he knew one of the victims.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-15-2017, 05:20 AM
Joshua Rogan Joshua Rogan is online now
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,854
Default

If the killer wasn't local, what reason did he have to keep returning to Whitechapel? It was far from the only place in London to find prostitutes.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-15-2017, 05:58 AM
Michael W Richards Michael W Richards is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,318
Default

I think the ability to navigate what was a maze of streets and lanes when leaving the crime scenes and remain unseen or unremarkable to anyone who might have seen him indicates an insiders perspective, not merely someone who goes slumming frequently. I think also that there are a few murderous individuals within a stones throw of some of the murder sites.

But that kind of thinking is only valid once a conclusion has been made that these murders were indeed connected by a single killer. Something which has never been established, only theorized about. A kill circle in these cases might well be a series of violent acts that have been perceived as a lone killer series, or represented as a lone killer series, for the benefit of others.
__________________
Michael Richards
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.