Obama wins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mariab View Post
    On German TV the Tea Party has been called "The American Talibans". By German and American journalists alike.
    Except the 'Tea Party' is a loose association of disparate groups, some of whom simply want to restore the US to small/less government.

Only a journalist with a brain the size of a gnat's testicle would compare the two.

Comment

As an Englishman, I'm not too concerned with what goes on in the US and far less concerned with what happens in Europe.

But, I do taking a passing interest in the US, it's a fascinating country. I think the world needs the US to stick to its own ideas and its own model - a spread of ideas around the world is healthy - and that for me meant Romney was the preferred candidate.

I would class myself as 80% liberal; 20% conservative. Liberal in the context of what it used to mean - not today's pseudo Liberalism, which in effect is closer to Fascism than the original ideal.

There are areas where I don't agree with recent US governments, e.g. riding rough-shod over sovereign nations, but on the whole the US has gotten an awful lot of things right.

It would be a shame were the Americans to move towards the European model, and there's more chance of this happening with the democrats, because the American model was successful and built upon some sound ideals; which can be seen today - such as the careful guarding of freedom of speech.

It will be a sorry day for a great nation in the event the US is duped into believing that the European model is a better path than its own ideals which have served the US so well.

Comment

Originally posted by mariab View Post

Not even getting into the Tea Party/abortion hysteria thing, which had the entire Europe collectively palming their face.
        Maria,

Can you please make a distinction between contintental Europe and England when writing these things.

In every single general election, more English people vote for a conservative government than they do for the people who are currently calling themselves liberals. The only we reason we ever have a 'liberal' government is because Scotland and Wales tips the balance in their favour - the sort of governments you have over there in France and Germany.

So, in the interests of rigour, don't lump the English in with the rest of you.

Many of us on this island can empathise with people on in another country calling for less government and more in the way of individual initiative.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
          Except the 'Tea Party' is a loose association of disparate groups, some of whom simply want to restore the US to small/less government.

Only a journalist with a brain the size of a gnat's testicle would compare the two.
          As are some posters. An example of this are the people lumping in Sarah Palin with Michelle Bachmann. Palin is from an average family which had absolutely no political influence to support her. Yet she almost single handedly cleaned up(and beat) her own corrupt Republican party in Alaska. Her administration in the state was moderately liberal socially and gay friendly. All of this counts for nothing when she is chewed up by the mainstream press. The same mainstream press which avoids Obama's climbing the slippery corrupt pole of Illinois Democratic politics(im not saying Obama is corrupt, simply that he turned a blind eye to it). As far as I know Obama never challenged Illinois corruption.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_c View Post
            . Yet she almost single handedly cleaned up(and beat) her own corrupt Republican party in Alaska.
            Apparently by replacing it with her own brand of corruption...
            “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

So I read that John Huntsman is being suggested as Hillary's replacement.

Sounds like a good choice to me, but can any of my American confreres tell me whether it's common to appoint members of the opposing party to the administration?

Comment

Yes, they try to put some complacent person in there to make it look good. Ray LaHood is or was a Republican. It's sort of party affirmative action.
                This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                  Yes, they try to put some complacent person in there to make it look good. Ray LaHood is or was a Republican. It's sort of party affirmative action.
                  How do they handle the potential for conflict-of-interest?

Comment

I think they pick someone they believe they can control. Robert McNamara was a Republican when Kennedy put him in a Secretary of Defense. Norm Mineta, a Democrat, was W's Secretary of Transportation

Stan Reid

Comment

It's actually pretty simple. It's not the party loyalty that matters, it's the view of international relations. Any Republican who agrees with the administration's views on international relations, international intelligence, etc. is a better candidate than a Democrat who doesn't share those views.

What the American people are sort of desperate to refute is that any number of things in the government never cross the President's desk. He doesn't even get involved in choosing ambassadors until the final approval stage. So the Secretary of State has to act in the way the President would wish, without involving the President. The key to that is matching core ideals and similar priorities. I don't know that Huntsman is that guy, but if not, it's not because he is a Republican.
                      The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

I am going to say very little except that I am mighty relieved Obama won a second term.

Comment

I think what bothers me most is the post-election hatred I've seen from people of opposing political views whom I'd previously respected. Not from the general population of Republicans as well as some Democrats, but the ones I thought were worthy of respect even though I disagreed with them.

Never mind that I'm neither a Republican nor a Democrat. Some of the people spouting hate speech now? I once respected them but now feel betrayed. I was relieved that Romney lost, even though Gary lost too. I'm not overjoyed that Obama won, either. I'd prefer something more Centered. Wingnuts to the Left of me, Wingnuts to the Right of me... That 1% of libertarian voters is an amazing victory, make no mistake. But the question in my mind remains. Why did I not see these racists and haters for what they were before the election? Am I really that stupid for wanting to believe the best of people? I suppose I must be.

Oh well, the future awaits.

Dan
                          "Extremely difficult. Virtually impossible - However, it should only take me ten minutes or so..." - Brice Linch: Max Headroom
                          Dan L Hollifield
                          Senior Editor/Publisher: Aphelion Webzine
                          http://www.aphelion-webzine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
                            So I read that John Huntsman is being suggested as Hillary's replacement.

Sounds like a good choice to me, but can any of my American confreres tell me whether it's common to appoint members of the opposing party to the administration?
                            I believe John Kerry is a more likely candidate to become Secretary of State, although a Washington Post blog claims that Senate Majority leader Harry Reid might oppose Kerry's appointment in case Scott Brown might get Kerry's Massachusetts U.S. senate seat.

Best regards

Chris
                            Christopher T. George
                            Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                            just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                            For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                            RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Obama won because enough people are sick of the rich spitting in their faces. The Tea Party probably went flaccid because they were afraid Romney might take away some of their welfare, such as Social Security and the home mortgage deduction. To their peril, they then get oppressive state corporatist medicine.
                              Last edited by sdreid; 11-11-2012, 02:52 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                                I believe John Kerry is a more likely candidate to become Secretary of State, although a Washington Post blog claims that Senate Majority leader Harry Reid might oppose Kerry's appointment in case Scott Brown might get Kerry's Massachusetts U.S. senate seat.

Best regards

Chris
                                I don't think the administration can afford to lose any Democratic seats in the Senate. Not to mention that I think Kerry would make a lousy Secretary of State. He is not the face of this country. Colin Powell could be an interesting choice, but I'm not sure how his military record will play in the Middle East, much less if he is remotely interested in returning to the job. A Warren Buffet type would also be an interesting choice, since the key to alliance is always financial. Giuliani could do it, but his role as the face of 9/11 would work against him. The bitterest irony is that Ambassador Stevens would have been perfect. Knowledgeable, idealistic, devoted, tough, a hero...

I think a super liberal southern lady would be perfect. The job needs someone who can tell you to F*&% off with a smile, and then offer you a cookie. We have perfected the iron fist in kid gloves, and it seems necessary these days. My first grade teacher would have been ideal.
                                The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X