Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspect Ranking

Hi guys,
    so after a discussion with another Ripperologist it came up about how i would rank suspects in relation to each other least to most likely, no tied places and having to have a reason of sorts to rank them.

I wanted to test myself with a list of say 50.
    There are only 21 on the CB poll - i dont think this is enough for my purposes but i dont want to bias myself? Ideas??

Once I have a list does anyone else want to play too - i think it will be harder than it sounds.

My Ripper buddy doesnt want to play!!!

Jenni
    “be just and fear not”

My top three would be James Maybrick, James Kelly, and William Bury
    Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by ChainzCooper
      James Maybrick, James Kelly, and William Bury
      Ditto.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

To be honest, I've often thought that this sort of thing is something the community could do to 'legitimise' the field.

In every other area of study, the students themselves set the field's parameters of study and through their research widen that field.

As the greatest concentration of knowledgable individuals in the field of Ripperology, we should be defining who are/aren't suspects and which are the most likely - not newspapers, or crackpots set on getting their names in said rags.

DavidGB

Comment

First - let's assume five (canonical) murders by one hand:

1. Someone we have never heard of (probably local)

2. Kosminski (as named by DSS, Sir RA and MM)

3 (but by a long way and for old time's sake) MJ Druitt.

4. (again a long shot) Tumblety (though I suspect involvement rather than killing).

However, if we break up the murders:

For Polly and Annie:

The above, but at 3. Issenschmidt and (long shot) Lechmere /Cross

For Stride - I have still not ruled out Michael Kidney

For MJK:

1. Fleming or Barnett or A N Other intimate

2. Fenian related (possible also for Kate Eddowes)

Hope that's not too complicated - run with the first set if you need simplicity.

Hope this helps,

Phil

Comment

I would start with those,who by name,can be placed at or very near the scene of a murder,and at a time,that by circumatantial evidebce,can be shown to be capable of commiting that murder.Further ,the person must have admitted,in questioning by police,to have been at the scene,at the time stated.

Comment

Hi,
              After around 47 years of serious thinking, taking everything into account, I can't put a ''guilty label'' around any of the debated suspects, either in publications, or on Casebook.
              I am however of the view, that the killer actually resided in Dorset street, and was a resident in one of the lodging houses, either that, or worked in one of them.
              I cannot erase from my mind the letter, allegedly penned from 14,Dorset street, on the second November 1888, and sent to the Norfolk police, its content not being anything significant,but the address very much so , as it was situated exactly opposite Millers court, one week before the demise of Mary Kelly.
              The term coincidental will be used , but I do not share that view.
              14, Dorset street, was the address of a certain Mrs Maxwell, who was to gain infamous fame by her alleged evidence, it was also approx the positioning of Mrs Lewis's mysterious loiterer [ referred to as Hutchinson?].also Kelly was allegedly seen talking to a man in that very street at 845am[9th]
              According to Maxwell , Kelly used to frequent the lodging house/s , it is entirely possible that she caught the killers eye, as the next victim, especially if he became aware of her having a room close by.
              Enough speculation , but that is my view.
              Regards Richard.

Comment

Perhaps some type of score system.....ie. contemporary suspect +1....Known to be violent +1 etc ? ....Then see who the top ten are..........

Comment

im ten short of my list of 50 - then im going to do it.

I thinking of making a scale with plus and minuses, im not sure how it will look yet.
                  “be just and fear not”

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Shelden View Post
                    im ten short of my list of 50 - then im going to do it.

I thinking of making a scale with plus and minuses, im not sure how it will look yet.
                    Yep,takes a bit of thought...But the results may be interesting.....How the hell do you give a mark to Maybrick?........Equally,what IS there for Druitt outside MacNaughten..........?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                      Ditto.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                      Great minds think alike
                      Jordan

Comment

Working...
                      X