X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11th November Tomorrow

Gentlemen et al,

11th November tomorrow.

To all of those who gave their lives: Rest in Peace.

To all of the veterans who served to protect us. And especially to my father, who served in two wars and survived to come home and raise a family who did not have to make the sacrifices he did.
    Best Wishes,
    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Hi
      I guess I have to admit, I am now one of the older generation . and this time of the year I find the service more poignant .then years past.
      Although I was born just under two years after the end of world war 2, that era means more to me as I age.
      My father [ late] served in the royal navy, and was active in the first sea battle of the war ''The river plate'' on HMS Ajax.
      But its not all about the second world war, but Korea, Aden, Falklands , and the gulf, and more,... skirmishes that have cost our commonwealth servicemen , and women their lives, and of course the wastage of live in the great war, which has to go down as deplorable.
      We should never forget.
      Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
        Hi
        I guess I have to admit, I am now one of the older generation . and this time of the year I find the service more poignant .then years past.
        Although I was born just under two years after the end of world war 2, that era means more to me as I age.
        My father [ late] served in the royal navy, and was active in the first sea battle of the war ''The river plate'' on HMS Ajax.
        But its not all about the second world war, but Korea, Aden, Falklands , and the gulf, and more,... skirmishes that have cost our commonwealth servicemen , and women their lives, and of course the wastage of live in the great war, which has to go down as deplorable.
        We should never forget.
        Regards Richard.
        Hello Richard,

Like you I had family who fought and died in both world wars, and my Father was in Aden and my Uncle in The Falklands and Northern Ireland.

But for me World War One stands alone as the defining event in recent British history. No need to go into the politics, but the life expectancy of a junior officer was six weeks.

Rest in Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
          Hi
          We should never forget.
          Regards Richard.
          Hello Richard,

Ditto. I watch every year and stand in silence at 11a.m. on the 11th November wherever I am. I can remember my father (d.1996) watching the tv religiously every year, if he didnt attend a commemoration somewhere. Born 1915, his foster father died in France 1917, and is remembered on the War Memorial in Kingston upon Thames. Dad served in the 2nd World War, like yours. He always said that WW1 was the greatest waste of human life ever. Even though what he witnessed in WW2 was horrific. No, we should never forget. Ever.

best wishes

Phil
          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
          Accountability? ....

Comment

Personally I'm remembering my paternal grandad, a Sussex Yeoman - who served in WWl (on secondment from the 226th Division of the signal corps) with the Durham Light Infantry and got (presumably relatively mildly) gassed twice...ok he survived but spent all his remaining life (into the 1970s) still coughing up his lungs for king and country...something I recall vividly...

Disillusioned? No not he...served in WWll in both ARP and Salvage Corps, and wouldn't hear a word against the country or the monarchy...on his behalf neither will I...but I mourn the death of ALL servicemen, from ALL sides in all the conflicts since...

Bless'em all

Every good wish

Dave

Comment

My paternal grandfather and eight of his brothers served in WW1. Only one of them, Henry (known as Harry) did not come home. Two of them were awarded the DCM.

Both of my parents served as civilians in WW2 in various capacities, including munitions and firefighting. Several uncles served in the forces abroad in WW2.

Young friends of mine served in Northern Ireland and the Falklands and i have seen students I have taught go on to serve in current conflicts. A good many of the students I teach are refugees from war-torn areas of the world.

Today, I honour them all and pray for their courage, their sacrifice and their peaceful rest.

I will also be thinking about the 300,000 children, some of them between 7 and ten years old, but most between 13-15 years old who right this day are serving soldiers in 30 conflicts across the world. Some are conscripts some have been sold into the army and others kidnapped and forced to serve in the front line. I will pray for an end to this terrible, terrible slaughter.

God bless you all.

Comment

Working...
              X