The Grisly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Tom,

Two people dramatically changed their stories.

Dr. Llewellyn and Robert Paul.

Why would that be?

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Llewellyn had never handled a case like this before, was horrible at profiling, and Robert Paul wanted absolutely nothing to do with this case, resented losing work to be at the inquest, and was pissed that a cop kept knocking up people after he told him what he'd found.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Tom,

Possibly so.

But what made them change their stories?

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Apologies again Tom, I didn't mean to offend.

Although, I didn't say you couldn't or wouldn't think outside the box, but rather that it is often the case in this field that those that do are criticised, particularly if the out-the-box thinking doesn't further a solution.

As you subtly pointed out, I'm new to posting, and I can say that others would be encouraged to de-lurk and join in - and indeed ripperology would be taken more seriously as an area of research (as we all wish it was) - if solutionists allowed holistics to witter on about things that don't matter; and holistics allowed solutionists their hair-brained schemes...

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
          Hi DGB. Actually, you have caused offense by suggesting I can't or won't think outside the box. But I'll let you off this time because you say you don't know Simon. First of all, his intentions were not misinterpreted by me. I was pointing out that it is irresponsible to hold any writer, then or now, up for a hip hip hooray simply because he had the balls to call the police idiots and incompetent. EVERYONE back then called them that, so it's nothing special. Entire newspapers, such as the Star, were devoted to calling the police idiots. It's even worse when it turns out the police were correct, as in the case of Nichols, and the writer was wrong. The person who wrote this article is deserving of no recognition whatsoever, whereas many, many nameless ones are. The ones who fill the press reports section and our articles and books and get somewhat taken for granted.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
            Llewellyn had never handled a case like this before, was horrible at profiling, and Robert Paul wanted absolutely nothing to do with this case, resented losing work to be at the inquest, and was pissed that a cop kept knocking up people after he told him what he'd found.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
            Hello Tom,

Would that cause them to change their stories though?. I think not.

best wishes

Phil
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
            Accountability? ....

Comment

Exactly what 'story' did Llewellyn have to tell? I was under the impression he came along after the fact and offered evidence and opinion, some of which was in error, so he changed his mind about it. Is Llewellyn the only doctor on record in a murder case who has done this? As for Robert Paul, on what salient point is it that you (Phil and Simon) believed he 'changed his story'?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi DGB,

So you see Ripperology as consisting of two parties - 'holistics' who rattle on about irrelevancies, and 'solutionists' promoting 'hair-brained schemes'? Pray tell, which group do you fall in to? As far as I'm aware, everyone 'allows' everyone else to do as they like, but when you create a thread, or post to an existing one, you are soliciting responses, and it would be naive to expect all responses to be ones of praise and agreement.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                  Hi Tom,

Two people dramatically changed their stories.

Dr. Llewellyn and Robert Paul.

Why would that be?

Regards,

Simon
                  I'd love to hear your ideas on why.

Comment

Hi Curious,

As yet, I have absolutely no idea.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Nobody changed their stories.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Except for Dr Llewellyn and Robert Paul.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Ok...I know you're dying for some poor sod to ask...and I don't know any better...

Dave

Comment

There were significant differences between Paul's newspaper interview (given on the evening of the murder) and his inquest testimony given a several of weeks later.

Comment

Hi Lechmere,

Echo, 1st September 1888—

"It is his [Dr Llewellyn’s] impression that she was not murdered at the spot where her body was found, but that her throat was cut, the dreadful abdominal injuries then inflicted, and that the body was then carried, enveloped in her large, heavy cloak, and thrown outside the gateway at Essex Wharf. Mr. Seccombe, Dr. Llewellyn’s assistant, is of the same opinions, especially, he says, as there was comparatively little blood where the deceased lay."

That story soon changed.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Thanks Lechmere/Simon

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X