Inquest question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
    Ive researched this question too David and it appears that you are correct with the above statement. There was no such mandate. Which means that technically George Hutchinson need not have waietd until after the session cessation to come forward with his remarks if he had hoped to avoid being confronted with or by other witnesses. One line of thought on his late appearance has been that he tried to avoid being seen, or challenged, by other witnesses.
    I'm not sure that's relevant to what I was saying Michael. I was talking about witnesses who had been summonsed to attend at the inquest. These witnesses, I'm suggesting, did not have to sit in the courtroom, listening other witnesses, before they gave their own evidence but if they were summonsed they did need to present themselves at the inquest.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post

This is a very intelligent thing to say. Thank you, David.
      No more or less intelligent than my post #7 - and essentially the same point in reverse - but you didn't seem to like that one.

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
        I'm not sure that's relevant to what I was saying Michael. I was talking about witnesses who had been summonsed to attend at the inquest. These witnesses, I'm suggesting, did not have to sit in the courtroom, listening other witnesses, before they gave their own evidence but if they were summonsed they did need to present themselves at the inquest.
        My point was that without a mandate for presenting the statement in the presence of other witnesses, George could have given his statement at the Inquest but in private. Thats what I was alluding to. I understand that you prioritized the summons element, so I get your point.
        Michael Richards

Comment

My point was that without a mandate for presenting the statement in the presence of other witnesses, George could have given his statement at the Inquest but in private. Thats what I was alluding to.
          I see. In which case, that definitely has no connection with the point I was making.

Comment

For what it's worth, at the Kelly inquest we read that the witnesses sat outside the courtroom waiting to be called.
            Whether this was due to lack of space within, or was the convention is hard to say.

"Without the coroner's court half a dozen wretched-looking women were sitting on half a dozen cane chairs waiting to be called;"
            Pall Mall Gazette, 12 Nov. 1888.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
              For what it's worth, at the Kelly inquest we read that the witnesses sat outside the courtroom waiting to be called.
              Whether this was due to lack of space within, or was the convention is hard to say.

"Without the coroner's court half a dozen wretched-looking women were sitting on half a dozen cane chairs waiting to be called;"
              Pall Mall Gazette, 12 Nov. 1888.
              Excellent find Jon, and hopefully that answers Pierre's question.

I agree with you about lack of space as a possible reason for this arrangement

I would just add that it doesn't look like this applied to police witnesses and, indeed, we find that Inspector Spratling intervened in PC Neil's evidence on 1 September (to confirm that the road at Bucks Row had been examined) whereas Spratling didn't give evidence himself until 3 September.

Comment

Hi David,

Do you know if they had to stay after they had given their evidence?

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                  Hi David,

Do you know if they had to stay after they had given their evidence?
                  I congratulate you from picking up on this Pierre. I did phrase my post in a certain way because at the back of my mind I had a strange feeling I had read somewhere that witnesses needed to stay in court after giving evidence.

In response to your question I've gone back through my notes and I've finally found what I was thinking of. It comes from the 1957 edition of 'Jervis on the Duties of Coroners' (the ninth edition by W.B Purchase and H.W. Wollaston). I hesitate to post it because it could be terribly misleading in respect of the position in 1888 but, then again, it might reflect earlier practice.

Here are what my notes say (being a transcription by me from the text of the book):

The actual order in calling the witnesses lies entirely with the discretion of the coroner.

It should be a general rule in all but the simplest non-jury case that witnesses with certain exceptions mentioned below should remain out of court until they are called to give evidence; after giving evidence they should remain in court.

But it is not usual to apply this rule of exclusion to any formal, professional or scientific witness.

It is the privilege of the jurors, at any time during the investigation, to call back before them any witness who has been examined, and to ask any questions that may suggest itself to their minds as elucidating of their enquiry.

I stress that this is a reflection of the position in the 1950s and such wording did not appear in the nineteenth century editions of Jervis.

Comment

The last exchange between Pierre and David has given rise to a thought.

If it was required to a witness, who had given evidence to remain AT Court, either in or nearby, isn't that one hell of an incentive for people like Hutch and Cross to try and avoid being called on till the lat possible moment, and could go at least part way to explaining what is often seen as suspicious behaviour.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I congratulate you from picking up on this Pierre. I did phrase my post in a certain way because at the back of my mind I had a strange feeling I had read somewhere that witnesses needed to stay in court after giving evidence.

In response to your question I've gone back through my notes and I've finally found what I was thinking of. It comes from the 1957 edition of 'Jervis on the Duties of Coroners' (the ninth edition by W.B Purchase and H.W. Wollaston). I hesitate to post it because it could be terribly misleading in respect of the position in 1888 but, then again, it might reflect earlier practice.

Here are what my notes say (being a transcription by me from the text of the book):

The actual order in calling the witnesses lies entirely with the discretion of the coroner.

It should be a general rule in all but the simplest non-jury case that witnesses with certain exceptions mentioned below should remain out of court until they are called to give evidence; after giving evidence they should remain in court.

But it is not usual to apply this rule of exclusion to any formal, professional or scientific witness.

It is the privilege of the jurors, at any time during the investigation, to call back before them any witness who has been examined, and to ask any questions that may suggest itself to their minds as elucidating of their enquiry.

I stress that this is a reflection of the position in the 1950s and such wording did not appear in the nineteenth century editions of Jervis.
                      Holy Hell your notes are so much more inclusive than mine.
                      The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

My personal experience is that witness wait outside to be called.

Once their testimony is given, they have the option to remain or leave.

Monty
                        😊
                        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

[QUOTE=David Orsam;374164]

I hesitate to post it because it could be terribly misleading in respect of the position in 1888 but, then again, it might reflect earlier practice.
                          OK.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                            The last exchange between Pierre and David has given rise to a thought.

If it was required to a witness, who had given evidence to remain AT Court, either in or nearby, isn't that one hell of an incentive for people like Hutch and Cross to try and avoid being called on till the lat possible moment, and could go at least part way to explaining what is often seen as suspicious behaviour.
                            I wondered aloud about how this might relate to Hutchinson too GUT.
                            Michael Richards

Comment

I wondered aloud about how this might relate to Hutchinson too GUT.
                              exactly. if hes lying, embellishing about anything, an inquest, where you have to testify under oath, and where other witnesses are going to be, is the last place you want to be.

Comment

If it was required to a witness, who had given evidence to remain AT Court, either in or nearby, isn't that one hell of an incentive for people like Hutch and Cross to try and avoid being called on till the lat possible moment
                                I wouldn't have thought so, GUT.

Unless Hutchinson had an unusually serious aversion to hanging around in court for slightly longer than was convenient, I doubt very much that his three-day delay in presenting his evidence had anything to do with that. Besides, as Monty pointed out, it wasn't necessarily the case that witnesses were obliged to remain in court after their appearance on the stand.

Or have I misread you?
                                Last edited by Ben; 03-21-2016, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X