Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JTR Museum

Hi all,
    A pal told me today whilst driving through Cable St, that he noticed a shop front stating " the jack the ripper museum "
    I found a Web site that stated it opens at the end of this month.
    It will be conducting walks as well.
    Anyone know more about this ?

Originally posted by spyglass View Post
    Hi all,
    A pal told me today whilst driving through Cable St, that he noticed a shop front stating " the jack the ripper museum "
    I found a Web site that stated it opens at the end of this month.
    It will be conducting walks as well.
    Anyone know more about this ?
    Maybe someone else with a crackpot theory to peddle.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Have a look over on JTR Forums, it's being discussed there. It seems the domain name for the museum's website was registered by Russell Edwards.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
        Have a look over on JTR Forums, it's being discussed there. It seems the domain name for the museum's website was registered by Russell Edwards.
        mthe first name that sprang to mind.

He seems determined to make a buck out of Jack.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hi Gut,

My first thoughts too, but if you look on the website there is no reference to Kos. Their guided walk seems to focus more on Chapman.

I'm hoping to get along to Cable Street next week. If the museum's open, I'll have a butcher's.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
            Hi Gut,

My first thoughts too, but if you look on the website there is no reference to Kos. Their guided walk seems to focus more on Chapman.

I'm hoping to get along to Cable Street next week. If the museum's open, I'll have a butcher's.

Gary
            Please let us know what you find.
            G U T

Comment

Hello GUT,

"I'll have a butcher's." Not familiar with that expression. What does it mean?

c.d.

Comment

"Butcher's hook" = Look.
                Rhyming slang.
                dustymiller
                aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                  Hello GUT,

"I'll have a butcher's." Not familiar with that expression. What does it mean?

c.d.
                  Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                  "Butcher's hook" = Look.
                  Rhyming slang.
                  Not to be confused with

"I am feeling butchers"

Butcher's = Butcher's hook = Crook = Sick

Gotta love this language.
                  G U T

Comment

American

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                    Not to be confused with

"I am feeling butchers"

Butcher's = Butcher's hook = Crook = Sick

Gotta love this language.
                    I'm lost, darlin, and American, and Southern, and New Orleanian. Decoder ring??
                    From Voltaire writing in Diderot's Encyclopédie:
                    "One demands of modern historians more details, better ascertained facts, precise dates, , more attention to customs, laws, commerce, agriculture, population."

Comment

The language is Cockney English, Rosemary, and a mystery all to its own. Interesting stuff, but not something I'm conversant in.
                      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                      ---------------
                      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                      ---------------

Comment

I have a good friend who is British and will speak Cockney to mess with me. I get him back by pointing at the door and asking him to turn the knob for me.

Comment

Cockney rhyming slang, also very common in Australia

Trouble and Strife = wife
                          Dog and Bone - Phone
                          Steak and Kidney = Sydney
                          Oxford scholar = Dollar
                          Noah's Ark = shark
                          Frog and Toad = Road

all are pretty common.

The world's biggest dictionary of cockney rhyming slang rated by real Londoners, cockney money, cockney translator and much more! Since 1999.

We have a unique way to communicate English and that is where our slang comes into the picture. Yes, we just don’t use slangs but a rhyming slang for each word we use. If you…Continue Reading

To be honest when Mr B said he's have a butcher's didn't even notice. To me he may as well have written I'll have a look.
                          G U T

Comment

Originally posted by Dane_F View Post
                            I have a good friend who is British and will speak Cockney to mess with me. I get him back by pointing at the door and asking him to turn the knob for me.
                            How does that cause him problems?
                            G U T

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                              How does that cause him problems?
                              Apparently knob does not mean the same thing to a Brit as it does an American. I also tease him about wanting to eat Bangers & Mash and drinking warm Guinness.

Last time we visited one another we spent most of the time drinking Scotch and jokingly arguing about whether it should have an E or not in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X