What was withheld??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert View Post
    Not sure off the top of my head, but I think it was Stephen Knight who first published the Schwartz story.
    I do believe you're right, Robert.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
      The identity of "the only person who ever saw the murderer" was also never revealed, that is, if he truly ever existed. Lord only knows why unless it was to suborn obstruction of justice which makes no sense and this leaves the story somewhat in my mind's doubt.
      This could be PC Watkins. I've long suspected that Watkins actually came face-to-face with knife-wielding Jack in Mitre Square and fled to the only open door in the square for safety, giving Jack a chance to escape onto Mitre Street. I think Watkins later admitted this to his superiors, but no action was taken against him. The matter was hushed up, lest the public think their police were cowards. If I'm correct, Watkins was the unnamed "City PC" who supposedly could identify Jack the Ripper.
      "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
      Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

Doc, you could be right. I hadn't thought of that possibility.

Regarding Schwartz, you mean Knight actually added something worthwhile? I know I couldn't find any reference to the incident in Rumbelow's book.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. John Watson View Post
          This could be PC Watkins. I've long suspected that Watkins actually came face-to-face with knife-wielding Jack in Mitre Square and fled to the only open door in the square for safety, giving Jack a chance to escape onto Mitre Street. I think Watkins later admitted this to his superiors, but no action was taken against him. The matter was hushed up, lest the public think their police were cowards. If I'm correct, Watkins was the unnamed "City PC" who supposedly could identify Jack the Ripper.
          I like that idea!

Comment

Yes, it could explain a few things.

Stan Reid

Comment

I could imagine that if the City Police got a letter from Jack that they thought was genuine, they might have kept it under wraps. And since the files are mostly destroyed then we will likely never know about it or, for that matter, anything they might have withheld.

Stan Reid

Comment

Wow, I just noticed this post now, as I'm back there for a few days.
                Rock and Shock!
                And there was a talk about Watkins yesterday or before yesterday...
                I'm simply impressed.
                It won't leave me.

"For God's sake, mate, come to my assistance!" will never sound the same...

Merry Christmas anyway, John Watson,
                David

Comment

Regarding Schwartz, you mean Knight actually added something worthwhile? I know I couldn't find any reference to the incident in Rumbelow's book.
                  Hi Stan

That was in Knight's 1976 book in the chapter 'Secrets of the Files' (he got to see the files early). Of course we know now that it was in the newspapers in 1888 but in 1976 this was hot stuff.

Hi Dr Watson

Your PC Watkins theory is pretty hot stuff too. I like it.
                  allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hi all,

still a fascinating idea...
                    Watkins and the Ripper in action... But it doesn't mean he did not inspect Mitre Square at 1:30.
                    If he did so, certainly his beat was too long to bring him back to the Square before 1:45 and after Lawende's sighting.

Amitiés,
                    David

Comment

Watkins and the Ripper

Hello everyone,

I believe that Watkins would have been blowing the hell out of his whistle as he ran to the door. I know I would. Too bad he wasn't allowed to carry a revolver.

Best Wishes,
                      Hunter
                      Best Wishes,
                      Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
                        Too bad he wasn't allowed to carry a revolver.

Hunter

To shoot Morris ?

Amitiés,
                        David

Comment

Hi,
                          Apparently a wall of silence involving the press was initially set up, after Eddowes death, and I would take an educated guess that the police had something to hide..
                          I do not believe it was because of Watkins actions, instead being the carelessness of a city police officer who may have seen the victim and killer en-route to the square, but mislayed them, I have always placed him as Bleinkensops man.ie' Have you seen a man and woman pass this way'?
                          I would suggest that this was hushed up, for obvious reasons, the witness being the unnamed city Pc.
                          Remember it was police policy to observe men and women of a certain class at that hour when possible.
                          Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
                            I do not believe it was because of Watkins actions, instead being the carelessness of a city police officer who may have seen the victim and killer en-route to the square, but mislayed them, I have always placed him as Bleinkensops man.ie' Have you seen a man and woman pass this way'?
                            I would suggest that this was hushed up, for obvious reasons, the witness being the unnamed city Pc.
                            Yes, I've thought that explanation was of top merit especially if the cop was an undercover policeman specifically following Eddowes. That they had the killer and blew it which resulted in a woman's murder would no doubt be reason for a cover-up.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Richard and Stan,

ok that's interesting. But this cover-up couldn't have lasted so long.
                              I mean: there is no doubt that the police tried their best afterwards.
                              And apparently no PC was called to identify Sadler, Grainger, or Kosminski.

Amitiés,
                              David

Comment

Yes, I've thought that explanation was of top merit especially if the cop was an undercover policeman specifically following Eddowes. That they had the killer and blew it which resulted in a woman's murder would no doubt be reason for a cover-up.
                                On an earlier thread, someone called Eddowes's murder a "set-up" by the police, but I never understood what was meant.

Why do you think an undercover policeman would be following Eddowes?

curious

Comment

Working...
                                X