Who Are We?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Ghoulie & all,

I am just the Casebook ghost...eternal presence. So what do you read in the innocent name of a street, albeit, notorious for the odd masonic apron. Do you think the name of the street a little un-coincidental?
    I am here to serve my Community Service time. I hate it, and tother!
    Rosey O'Ryan :-)

Comment

Street name

Originally posted by Rosey O'Ryan View Post
      Hi Ghoulie & all,

I am just the Casebook ghost...eternal presence. So what do you read in the innocent name of a street, albeit, notorious for the odd masonic apron. Do you think the name of the street a little un-coincidental?
      I am here to serve my Community Service time. I hate it, and tother!
      Rosey O'Ryan :-)
      Just a little pun.

Comment

Originally posted by ghoulstonstreet View Post
        Very interesting. You see, I'm in the States and I am getting the impression most of the people on this forum are Brits. Now, that's really surprising to me because you folks have had this "alive" in your culture for a long time. Yet there's so much interest. YET, YET, we're told by the dude who does one of the Rpper walks in Whitechapel that Whitechapel residents themselves are very down on ripperologists and don't want to save any of the old buildings. So there is this dichotomy and contradiction.
        Surprising but true, Ghoulstone.

Spitalfields in particular (where most of the Ripper walks congregate) is no longer predominantly inhabited by long-term, dyed-in-the-wool East Enders of yore.

It's mostly Bengali with noticeable enclaves of well-off middle class folk who have settled in the area in the last 15 years or so. It is traditionally the latter which kick up a fuss about the Ripper stuff, though not much these days. Ironically, they are the ones that saved and restored many of the old buildings in the neighbourhood.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
          It's mostly Bengali with noticeable enclaves of well-off middle class folk who have settled in the area in the last 15 years or so. It is traditionally the latter which kick up a fuss about the Ripper stuff, though not much these days. Ironically, they are the ones that saved and restored many of the old buildings in the neighbourhood.
          Although on the plus side, these well-off middle classes do keep the local Sushi vendors in business though!

All the best
          Andrew

Comment

ghoulstonstreet pleased to meet you. I don’t post much, only lurk about…I’m one of the many quiet voyeurs about this place…

Comment

Long Time Lurker

I'm a long-time lurker as well.

Got dragged to a Ripper Walk while in London years ago ... got to meet Don Rumbelow and hear the story from one of the best ... picked up Patricia Cornwell on CD when I got home ... and was completely outraged by that sloppy book.

I've been reading up on the subject ever since and think this site (and JTR Forums) are great resources. Also had the pleasure of attending one Ripper Conference and hope to get to many more.

Comment

The Plus Side of Spitalfields

Originally posted by Andrew Firth View Post
                Although on the plus side, these well-off middle classes do keep the local Sushi vendors in business though!

All the best
                Andrew
                Hi there. Yes, ironic that the complainers are also the ones who want to restore buildings. Good thing. And I imagine that another Plus is the avaiability of a good Indian dinner. You know, this is sounding like a wonderful evening out. I'll definitely have to do it if I get to London again. Best to all...

Comment

Ripper Conference

Originally posted by jgaspard View Post
                  I'm a long-time lurker as well.

Got dragged to a Ripper Walk while in London years ago ... got to meet Don Rumbelow and hear the story from one of the best ... picked up Patricia Cornwell on CD when I got home ... and was completely outraged by that sloppy book.

I've been reading up on the subject ever since and think this site (and JTR Forums) are great resources. Also had the pleasure of attending one Ripper Conference and hope to get to many more.
                  I would just love to go to a Ripper conference. How can I find out where the next ones will be held? Thanks

Comment

jgaspard, us lurkers need to stick together! *lol*

I haven't been spying around these parts for long, just since May. I've been reading up on JTR since 2005. Don't get me started on Patricia Cornwell - my nemesis.

I went on a JTR tour in May! I loved every minute of it.

Comment

The Conferences tend to get a lot of digital ink here on the forums. The last one was a month or so ago in London. Not sure if a U.S. one is happening next year or not. It's a good time -- smart fun people who occasionally drink.

Comment

Hi Ghoulston

I have termed myself 'A ripper nipper' in previous posts as I have only been interested for a few years - however my son is now being taught Jtr at school so I believe I may lose this title.

However if he keeps contradicting his teacher on the subject, and telling him his mam talks to all the 'proper' experts on the subject then i'm not sure his mark will be as good as he thinks it will.

Can't wait for parents evening!!

But it is interesting to see that the mystery is still alive from generation to generation, he was looking forward to doing a ripper walk however the school stopped doing them last year, so he will miss out on that.

tj
                        It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

Hey Ghoulston and all Ripperologists
                          I'm new to this casebook forum but have heard and read about JTR for decades. I'm interested in Victorian history and for some reason this case cannot be overlooked
                          I would like to learn more about the science of the case to see if there can be real progress made in our understanding of it
                          And I'll gladly join in the blah blah
                          blah to socialize with all you diverse people

Nell Lance

Comment

I have learned that it is best not to mention that you are a Ripperologist on a blind date. The evening was going fairly well when the lady asked me what my hobbies are. I casually mentioned my interest in the case along with my other hobbies ..." my look at the time, it's really getting late. Hey, this has been fun." I tried to make it clear that I myself am not a serial killer but at that point the evening was over.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by tji View Post
                              Hi Ghoulston

I have termed myself 'A ripper nipper' in previous posts as I have only been interested for a few years - however my son is now being taught Jtr at school so I believe I may lose this title.

However if he keeps contradicting his teacher on the subject, and telling him his mam talks to all the 'proper' experts on the subject then i'm not sure his mark will be as good as he thinks it will.

Can't wait for parents evening!!

But it is interesting to see that the mystery is still alive from generation to generation, he was looking forward to doing a ripper walk however the school stopped doing them last year, so he will miss out on that.

tj
                              Hello, and thanks for your post. I am a bit shocked tho to hear that JTR is being taught to school kids. I got the impression he's not in high school or college. Don't you find that a little disturbing? Especially with the Kelly photo etc? Especially because of the obvious sexual/violence element?

Comment

Originally posted by Nell Lance View Post
                                Hey Ghoulston and all Ripperologists
                                I'm new to this casebook forum but have heard and read about JTR for decades. I'm interested in Victorian history and for some reason this case cannot be overlooked
                                I would like to learn more about the science of the case to see if there can be real progress made in our understanding of it
                                And I'll gladly join in the blah blah
                                blah to socialize with all you diverse people

Nell Lance
                                I too feel that this event was extremely important, a watershed of sorts, to modern history. The Romans and other people, such as Medievalists, killed their own IF THEY COULD COME UP WITH SOME JUSTIFICATION, such as religious transgression, insubordination to the powers that be etc. But The Ripper was the first to kill for no reason that makes any sense and get known for it. I think Nigel Nicholson's book about his eccentric parents is a good book to read. also, anything about Queen Victoria, Magnus' Edward VII, Strachey's The Victorians, and I'm sure other posters know many more than I do. Thanks. Keep posting.

Comment

Working...
                                X